Player Discussion Kylington, Andersson, Valimaki

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Going forward, where do you see these three? Almost every proposal for a rental or high ceiling forward people are asking for one of them. IMO, I want to keep all of them, and have them gradually replace Brodie, Hamonic, Giordano. Regardless, I wonder how everyone here ranks them based on present day and future value? Are we fine going forward with all three? Or are you willing to give up one (or more) to acquire more talent in the lineup?

Discuss.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Valimaki head and shoulders above the other two in terms of long term value. I see him as our 1D within the next 5 years. I don't think Tre would move him for anything short of a repugnant overpayment.

Andersson/Kylington; I see kind of the same. As of today Andersson is more valuable, but Kylington is no slouch. Both guys strike me as guys who'll be top 4D's in the league. Andersson is the more surer bet. Kylington is a question mark if he could handle 15 minutes a night playing against anything but depth, but who knows, this kid has progressed nicely throughout his pro career so far, and he's still so young.

I think the Flames will try to hold onto all 3 of them to be perfectly honest. I feel they'll keep one of Brodie or Hamonic (my guess is Hammer) and that will open up some spots. They might deal one nearing the draft, as they'll more than likely lose one regardless.

So my personal order, and likelihood to be dealt:
1) Valimaki, near zero chance of being dealt outside of a blockbuster that nets Calgary something outrageous.
2) Andersson, near zero chance of being dealt; he's a RD, he's young and the coach already trusts this kid.
3) Kylington, probably dealt closer to the expansion draft. He's a LD. He won't be better than Giordano or Hanifin (whom I also think could be Calgary's 1D), if they could really upgrade the roster, I.E get a top 6C that's age appropriate with term, they'll do that.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Who knows...I will say all 3 of them are doing very well at such a young age. So any of them could pop one day and be a true top pairing guy. Top 4 is the most likely outcome, but wouldn't be surprised to see any of them climb further.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Going forward, where do you see these three? Almost every proposal for a rental or high ceiling forward people are asking for one of them. IMO, I want to keep all of them, and have them gradually replace Brodie, Hamonic, Giordano. Regardless, I wonder how everyone here ranks them based on present day and future value? Are we fine going forward with all three? Or are you willing to give up one (or more) to acquire more talent in the lineup?

Discuss.

I think we have to keep all 3 through the expansion draft, where we’ll probably lose one of them or another important blue liner

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think Andersson ends up replacing Hamonic once his contract is up. I also think he's been the best young Dman so far.

Kylington looks pretty good. It serves him well that he's in an era where the league that now prioritizes speed and skill over anything else. Since he always wants the puck, he'll inevitably make a lot of mistakes but his skating allows him to recover well. And he's easily the most offensively gifted of all three.

Valimaki needs more time down in the AHL. He's looked like a jack of all trades player in the big leagues and doesn't really have a quality in his game that stands out or is more polished than Andersson or Kylington. I guess he's more physical? Keep him in Stockton until the end of the season to let him round out his game.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Valimaki head and shoulders above the other two in terms of long term value. I see him as our 1D within the next 5 years. I don't think Tre would move him for anything short of a repugnant overpayment.

Andersson/Kylington; I see kind of the same. As of today Andersson is more valuable, but Kylington is no slouch. Both guys strike me as guys who'll be top 4D's in the league. Andersson is the more surer bet. Kylington is a question mark if he could handle 15 minutes a night playing against anything but depth, but who knows, this kid has progressed nicely throughout his pro career so far, and he's still so young.

I think the Flames will try to hold onto all 3 of them to be perfectly honest. I feel they'll keep one of Brodie or Hamonic (my guess is Hammer) and that will open up some spots. They might deal one nearing the draft, as they'll more than likely lose one regardless.

So my personal order, and likelihood to be dealt:
1) Valimaki, near zero chance of being dealt outside of a blockbuster that nets Calgary something outrageous.
2) Andersson, near zero chance of being dealt; he's a RD, he's young and the coach already trusts this kid.
3) Kylington, probably dealt closer to the expansion draft. He's a LD. He won't be better than Giordano or Hanifin (whom I also think could be Calgary's 1D), if they could really upgrade the roster, I.E get a top 6C that's age appropriate with term, they'll do that.

These are exactly my thoughts to a T. No reason for me to retype this post so I'll just quote it, haha

Reactions: Volica

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Kylington looks like he's about 5-6lbs away from being a crazy combination of Giordano and Brodie. Multiple Norris trophies upside. Peters needs to find him time on special teams and also look at having him take on some of Hanifin's assignments 5v5 with the way he effortlessly handles defensive zone assignments. I think he is the natural successor to Giordano as our #1.

Valimaki looks like a sure bet to have a similar career to Mattias Ekholm. Really high floor on him, and you never know, I mean even Ekholm is having a career year and continues to get better. I think he will make Hanifin expendable.

Andersson is trending towards a Dennis Wideman career. I don't mind him on the third pair long term as a cheap Stone replacement, especially if we can re-up both Brodie and Hamonic in UFA or acquire a Philippe Myers or Timothy Liljegren somehow. But if s trade is there, his value will probably never be higher than it is now while he has "rookie" attached to his name.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

Discuss.

These are all young cost controlled defensemen in their RFA years. Unfortunately Hamonic and/or Brodie will likely be made expendable when their contracts come up. I don't think there is any way Hanifin, Valimaki, Andersson, or Kylington are moved without there being locker-room issues. Gio's NTC transitions to to a modified NTC thus making him available and at 38 years old it is doubtful he would be taken. With a strike looming BT will have a major decision to make with Brodie and Hamonic whether to re-sign them and hope the strike is short to make them available for the expansion draft ... More depth less risk... or to not sign them saving some money for the youth.

My only wish is we had the same problem in the forward ranks.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I think Kylington has the highest ceiling but he’s boom or bust

I think Valimaki is a surefire top pairing guy that will come along steadily till he’s there

I think Andersson is my favorite but I don’t really know why

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Call me crazy, but maybe Hanifin is the trade chip someday. Not right now for this deadline, but I could see it if these three continue to develop well down the road.
I think these guys would have to make some huge strides, in order for Hanifin to be available. People forget Hanifin is younger than Andersson, the same age as Kylington and a year older than Valimaki.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Kylington has seemed really up and down to me. He either looks like the worst player on the team or he looks like a dynamic offensive threat. I don’t really see much defensive upside but he’s clearly the most skilled of the 3.

Andersson has been mostly steady, but I really wish he would show some more offense. I know he has the skills, he just seems so hesitant to do anything with the puck. He’s shockingly good at holding the puck in at the blue line.

Valimaki was also looking steady, though I wish he showed more offensive ability as well. You can see the skills, and I think the numbers would have started to show if he hadn’t have gotten injured.

I hope the Flames plan on keeping all 3 and seeing how they develop, though I think Kylington is clearly the most expendable. Not sure how anyone could watch him consistently and think he “effortlessly handles defensive zone assignments”.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Kylington looks like he's about 5-6lbs away from being a crazy combination of Giordano and Brodie. Multiple Norris trophies upside. Peters needs to find him time on special teams and also look at having him take on some of Hanifin's assignments 5v5 with the way he effortlessly handles defensive zone assignments. I think he is the natural successor to Giordano as our #1.

Valimaki looks like a sure bet to have a similar career to Mattias Ekholm. Really high floor on him, and you never know, I mean even Ekholm is having a career year and continues to get better. I think he will make Hanifin expendable.

Andersson is trending towards a Dennis Wideman career. I don't mind him on the third pair long term as a cheap Stone replacement, especially if we can re-up both Brodie and Hamonic in UFA or acquire a Philippe Myers or Timothy Liljegren somehow. But if s trade is there, his value will probably never be higher than it is now while he has "rookie" attached to his name.

How in the actual hell can you call Kylington the next coming of Jesus, and Andersson waiver fodder???!!! This is like Bennett is a top line center 2.0...Something you still believe to be true :help:

Reactions: MonyontheMoney

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
How in the actual hell can you call Kylington the next coming of Jesus, and Andersson waiver fodder???!!! This is like Bennett is a top line center 2.0...Something you still believe to be true :help:

Waiver fodder? Where did I say that? You sure love to twist my words around into stuff I never said.

Dennis Wideman? He averaged 23+ minutes a game over 800+NHL games and made over $40 million dollars in earnings. He even hit 56 points once. Andersson would be ecstatic to have such a career.

I'm not going to respond to you any further on this matter. You're clearly too sensitive to be able to handle other peoples' opinions if they don't match your own.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Waiver fodder? Where did I say that? You sure love to twist my posts around.

Dennis Wideman? He averaged 23+ minutes a game over 800+NHL games and made over $40 million dollars in earnings.

I'm not going to respond to you any further on this matter. You're clearly too sensitive to be able to handle other peoples' opinions if they don't match your own.

Dude, you said his value will never be higher and he'll top out as a 3rd pairing guy. so yes, essentially waiver fodder. The fact that you think Kylington has so much upside and Andersson will essentially be clinging to an NHL job his whole career is asinine at this point in time.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Waiver fodder? Where did I say that? You sure love to twist my words around into stuff I never said.

Dennis Wideman? He averaged 23+ minutes a game over 800+NHL games and made over $40 million dollars in earnings. He even hit 56 points once. Andersson would be ecstatic to have such a career.

That’s a horrible comparison. Wideman was the king of the awful pinch that would lead to a terrible goal everyday.

Rasmus needs to get quicker, but he almost never makes bad reads and that’s why coaches like him.

To me Valimaki is the guy with top pair written all over him. Kylington and Andersson look more like 3/4 guys

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

I think you know what kind of statement you were making when you compared a rookie defenseman to Dennis f***ing Wideman (while in the same breath, compared two other rookies to much more notable players). You don't have to explicitly say it, people can read between the lines.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
As of now

1. Kylington
2. Valimaki
3. Andersson

I liked Andersson more than OK when they were drafted, I liked him more when he was in the AHL. Against NHL completion I've liked Kylington more.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I love Brodie, but I think we have to move him this off-season. He's re-established a lot of value. And we can't bring back both him and Hamonic. Both for cost reasons, and because you hold back the kids. I'm still not sold on Kylington being a true top 4, let alone top pair, but he's showing currently that he can at least be our #6. He isn't waiver eligible. Making him the #7 isn't fair to him, and it's not going to help him develop. And after his play now, a team will claim him.

Brodie is better than Hamonic, but I think Hamonic signs cheaper. Brodie already took his discount contract. Hamonic just wants to play here and I think that will be a significant factor in not only him signing cheaper, but taking 5 years instead of the 6-8 Brodie will want

Which leaves us options next season. Either you move Hanifin to the right with Gio, or you keep the Hanifin/Hamonic pair, and whichever of Kylington/Valimaki/Rasmus clicks better on the right with Gio in training camp plays there. Gio is so good he could make a total scrub passable, so he'd be good at covering mistakes of a young guy while maintaining his dominant game

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
This is silly. I’m very thankful we have a competent GM and coaching staff. I think the fact that Andersson moves up when the likes of Gio gets suspended or Hamonic goes down speaks volumes.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Either you move Hanifin to the right with Gio, or you keep the Hanifin/Hamonic pair, and whichever of Kylington/Valimaki/Rasmus clicks better on the right with Gio in training camp plays there. Gio is so good he could make a total scrub passable, so he'd be good at covering mistakes of a young guy while maintaining his dominant game
Odds are they will try to keep the Hani-Hammer pair together (unless Hanifin and Rasmus really start clicking). Gio and Rasmus already play together whenever Brodie starts struggling and the mixer comes out, and Ras plays with Gio when we have the extra attacker. It makes sense that it would be Ras's spot to lose there in your scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad