Kyler Murray watch (Breaking: Decides to play football)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Has Scott Boras tried to bury him publicly yet? He was so convinced Murray would stick to baseball earlier. :laugh:

That was before he won the Heisman tho, so I can see why Murray is on the fence. I don't think he will have a great NFL career but God bless for him for being good enough to be able to make his pick.

However someone pointed out the other day he could try QB in the NFL and if it doesn't work out hes still young; he can do a reverse Weeden and just go to play baseball. A team will 100% take a chance on him and if freaking Tebow (with 0 baseball experience) made it to AA.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Baseball is obviously the much wiser choice for his long term health, but regarding money, the NFL is definitely the way to go if you're a QB that is projected to go in the first round... even if it isn't in the top 10. Early career contracts in the NFL (especially for a QB) are worth a lot more than minor league contracts, and while the high end earnings potential is much greater for baseball, there is no guarantee that he'll even make the majors.

Plus, not to mention all of the stuff that goes with being an NFL player compared to a minor league baseball player with regards to transportation, hotels, food, facilities, etc..

If he does bust in the NFL as a starter, he'll be 25ish after his rookie contract ends. That isn't terribly old (I think Tebow was 30 when he started minor league baseball), and Murray was a top 10 MLB draft pick.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
That was before he won the Heisman tho, so I can see why Murray is on the fence. I don't think he will have a great NFL career but God bless for him for being good enough to be able to make his pick.

However someone pointed out the other day he could try QB in the NFL and if it doesn't work out hes still young; he can do a reverse Weeden and just go to play baseball. A team will 100% take a chance on him and if freaking Tebow (with 0 baseball experience) made it to AA.
A team equals the A's since they hold his contractual rights regardless of what he does. Or at the very least they'll control what he can do/where he'll go.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Baseball is obviously the much wiser choice for his long term health, but regarding money, the NFL is definitely the way to go if you're a QB that is projected to go in the first round... even if it isn't in the top 10. Early career contracts in the NFL (especially for a QB) are worth a lot more than minor league contracts, and while the high end earnings potential is much greater for baseball, there is no guarantee that he'll even make the majors.

Plus, not to mention all of the stuff that goes with being an NFL player compared to a minor league baseball player with regards to transportation, hotels, food, facilities, etc..

If he does bust in the NFL as a starter, he'll be 25ish after his rookie contract ends. That isn't terribly old (I think Tebow was 30 when he started minor league baseball), and Murray was a top 10 MLB draft pick.
Tebow just wants to play pro ball. Despite actually being passable at a AA level he won't ever be a regular major league player. Murray would have a lot of work to do if he went back to baseball, and will have missed a lot of development.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
god ******* dammit. waste of a pick

i mean, its basically what we all expected but still sucks to actually hear. should've chosen baseball

losing a top 10 pick like that is brutal but even more so for a team like the A's who never have a shot at signing big names

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Safe to say we'll never see this historic arrangement or whatever Scott Boras called it ever again.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
god ******* dammit. waste of a pick

i mean, its basically what we all expected but still sucks to actually hear. should've chosen baseball

losing a top 10 pick like that is brutal but even more so for a team like the A's who never have a shot at signing big names
I'd have to think the A's will get a compensatory 1st in one of these upcoming drafts. They drafted a player and signed him. They shouldn't be left with nothing.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I'd have to think the A's will get a compensatory 1st in one of these upcoming drafts. They drafted a player and signed him. They shouldn't be left with nothing.

I believe they will receive no compensatory pick because he signed the contract with Oakland. Oakland gets the money back but I do not believe any kind of pick.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Yeah, teams get compensatory picks a bunch for not being able to sign the high-end picks. Braves couldn't sign their #8 overall last year, so they got the #9 this year. It doesn't totally mend losing a big name, but at least it helps.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

they're not getting one

murray will just return his signing bonus and the A's will keep his rights

Reactions: Voight

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Yeah, teams get compensatory picks a bunch for not being able to sign the high-end picks. Braves couldn't sign their #8 overall last year, so they got the #9 this year. It doesn't totally mend losing a big name, but at least it helps.

But they signed him. I thought the comp pick was only given if the player didn't sign?

RoloTonyBrownTown

Oct 31, 2018
No hard feelings against Murray - follow your dreams and whatnot - but apparently the A's organization found out at the same time everyone else did, via the announcement on Twitter. On top of that, the announcement made no mention of Oakland or anything they did as they drafted and courted him, including but not limited to the 200k of free bonus money he made and actually gets to keep.

Rough.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
No hard feelings against Murray - follow your dreams and whatnot - but apparently the A's organization found out at the same time everyone else did, via the announcement on Twitter. On top of that, the announcement made no mention of Oakland or anything they did as they drafted and courted him, including but not limited to the 200k of free bonus money he made and actually gets to keep.

Rough.

they're "speculating" that he didn't mention oakland in his announcement in case he does ultimately decide to return to baseball. but the fact that the A's weren't told of his intentions before is pretty messed up

he sure did lead the A's on. from straight up saying i'm playing baseball to this. i'm just glad its all over. sucks that they basically threw a pick away but oh well

Reactions: Voight

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Should've negotiated his contract to not allow him to play football. That was dumb that they allowed him to do that. If he says no, then at least you get a comp pick for not signing him.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Should've negotiated his contract to not allow him to play football. That was dumb that they allowed him to do that. If he says no, then at least you get a comp pick for not signing him.
It wasn't dumb, it was done in good faith. Safe to say they'll never do that again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad