Kyler Murray watch (Breaking: Decides to play football)

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I get the not wanting to languish in the minor leagues thing, but I still think it's crazy to give up a less violent sport with guaranteed contracts in favor of a far more violent sport without guaranteed contracts.
It's only guaranteed if he makes it to the major leagues (at least to the point of making things worthwhile). The washout rate for 1st rounders in the MLB is much higher than any other sport, so there's a good chance he never plays in the majors. Plus he would have to earn close to league minimum for several years once he made a MLB roster, and maybe even deal with being Kris Bryant/Ronald Acuna'd if he's actually any good. Not to mention, he could always try his hand at baseball a la Tim Tebow if he stinks at football, and he might just like playing football more, even with the CTE stuff.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
assuming he's not cte'ed by then.
This is a serious concern but most athletes aren't known for their foresight.

I get some people think it should be an easy decision since either way he would be set for life with 5 million dollars if he did financial planning right, but these athletes aren't exactly known for doing that.

member 157595

It's only guaranteed if he makes it to the major leagues (at least to the point of making things worthwhile). The washout rate for 1st rounders in the MLB is much higher than any other sport, so there's a good chance he never plays in the majors. Plus he would have to earn close to league minimum for several years once he made a MLB roster, and maybe even deal with being Kris Bryant/Ronald Acuna'd if he's actually any good. Not to mention, he could always try his hand at baseball a la Tim Tebow if he stinks at football, and he might just like playing football more, even with the CTE stuff.

He's a thin QB under 6'0''. He's going to take hits and they're going to take a toll so there's no way to know if he'll be in the physical condition to give baseball another try once/if he's done with football.

I like football more than baseball but to me, it's not worth the risk.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
He's a thin QB under 6'0''. He's going to take hits and they're going to take a toll so there's no way to know if he'll be in the physical condition to give baseball another try once/if he's done with football.

He's slippery and has great pocket awareness like Russell Wilson, so he's not going to take the same hits as often as some statuesque 6'5'' QB is going to take. I get that he's even smaller than Wilson and would probably be the smallest QB in several decades, even smaller than Doug Flutie, but modern QBs are coddled more than any other position in NFL history. Only kickers and punters will take less hits over the course of a career. Still probably has a pretty big risk with CTE but not as much as running backs/receivers/OL and defensive players.

And the bolded is my main point, it may not be worth it to you or other people but star football players don't really think the same way.

member 157595

He's slippery and has great pocket awareness like Russell Wilson, so he's not going to take the same hits as often as some statuesque 6'5'' QB is going to take. I get that he's even smaller than Wilson and would probably be the smallest QB in several decades, even smaller than Doug Flutie, but modern QBs are coddled more than any other position in NFL history. Only kickers and punters will take less hits over the course of a career. Still probably has a pretty big risk with CTE but not as much as running backs/receivers/OL and defensive players.

These are good points, but as you state Murray isn't as well-built as Wilson. We'll agree to disagree.

And the bolded is my main point, it may not be worth it to you or other people but star football players don't really think the same way.

Certainly. I understand that.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

he'd get killed in the NFL at his size

how many successful QBs are there under 6 ft at the moment? brees is the only one.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Crazy discussion. The kid just want to follow his dream, stop with the crap.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
the only thing that matters is murray coming out and straight up saying he's choosing one sport over the other

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Guaranteed money >>>> partially guaranteed money.

If hes as good as they say he is, hell make more $$$ in baseball and have the chance to play longer. He's pretty small for a QB.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He's getting a 1st round grade in the NFL. He's going to make more guaranteed on that contract than the A's signing bonus and he's going to get a second contract faster too.

which is why they will more than likely offer him an MLB contract to negate that. Unprecedented but MLB HQ wants him just as and as Oakland does.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008

If hes as good as they say he is, hell make more $$$ in baseball and have the chance to play longer. He's pretty small for a QB.

Even if it's only partially guaranteed, he still stands to make a lot of money on his 2nd contract.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Crazy discussion. The kid just want to follow his dream, stop with the crap.
What crap? No one is crapping on him for this.

He could be posturing for more mlb money. Maybe his heart is more into football. I don't know. It's his decision.

People discussing which sport he should or shouldn't play isn't crap.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg

Murray was not considered to be a top 10 prospect by most evaluators. His chance of making more than $ 5m is much better in the NFL despite his size, even more so in the upcoming draft without too many heralded QBs. The injury risk is much higher, but Murray gladly took it in college already - and the advantages of being a star QB as well, something he would certainly miss in the minor leagues.

Gruß,
BSHH

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Murray was not considered to be a top 10 prospect by most evaluators. His chance of making more than $ 5m is much better in the NFL despite his size, even more so in the upcoming draft without too many heralded QBs. The injury risk is much higher, but Murray gladly took it in college already - and the advantages of being a star QB as well, something he would certainly miss in the minor leagues.

Gruß,
BSHH

Long term he will make more in baseball, should he be even just a 5 win guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad