Kyler Murray watch (Breaking: Decides to play football)

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Kyler Murray isn't smart to pass up baseball for football.

He'll get paid either way, but I guess he would rather his mind and body rot at 45.

How often are QB's hit nowadays? And you make it sound like money is even close to the same. He would get $4.66 million or whatever it is from the A's but then he'd be making below minimum wage in the minors where he's already behind his peers in terms of experience, then he makes the league minimum for 3 years in the majors, assuming he makes it that far. Best case he starts catching up to his rookie deal in the NFL by age 27.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
How often are QB's hit nowadays? And you make it sound like money is even close to the same. He would get $4.66 million or whatever it is from the A's but then he'd be making below minimum wage in the minors where he's already behind his peers in terms of experience, then he makes the league minimum for 3 years in the majors, assuming he makes it that far. Best case he starts catching up to his rookie deal in the NFL by age 27.
Tell that first sentence to Derek Carr.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
There is also a much higher failure rate amongst Mlb 1st rounders, 30-50% usually never even make the majors or only play a few games
I simply think it is smarter to take the bird in the hand here. Invest most of that 4.66 and he's already set for life whether he plays in a game or not.

10 qb's were sacked at least 40 times this year, with Watson taking a league high 65. This isn't even counting hits on throws or hits on runs by qb's. Guaranteed money will top baseball easily for the first 5-10 years, but if I'm him I'm thinking about life after sports.

Ultimately it's his life and decision, and I'll respect whatever he decides.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
He can alway go back to baseball if football doesn't work out too
So could Bo Jackson but we all saw what heppened there.

Either way he is set financially. With all we know about cte now, the logical choice is baseball. He'll make more in fottball until he reaches 30, for sure. It's something he'll have to think about, along with which sport drives him more than the other.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
He's getting a 1st round grade in the NFL. He's going to make more guaranteed on that contract than the A's signing bonus and he's going to get a second contract faster too.
No doubt the quicker, more guaranteed money is in the nfl. Hopefully he looks beyond the short term and makes the best decision for himself for the rest of his life.

Of course it's easy for me to say since I'm poor, but I'd take the baseball deal 100 out of 99 times. A lot of my favorite childhood football stars have died or had their brain and body turn to mush, and I'm only in my mid 30's. Can't think of any from baseball other than arm injuries and plays that aren't even allowed anymore (Rose on Fosse).

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
So could Bo Jackson but we all saw what heppened there.

Either way he is set financially. With all we know about cte now, the logical choice is baseball. He'll make more in fottball until he reaches 30, for sure. It's something he'll have to think about, along with which sport drives him more than the other.

Bo was playing both simultaneously though, Murray will not be doing that.

Sure there is no question that football is more dangerous and he is more likely to have a bad injury there but QB's are also much more protected than the other positions and they have generally lived much fuller lives, of all the guys who are dying in their 40's and 50's of CTE how many of them are QB's? Very few if any..the only QB that I recall dying young was Steve McNair who was murdered in a domestic issue.

QB's that don't stink the place up generally have long careers, make huge money, and since QB's are generally the smartest guys in the game they often slot right into a tv or announcing role very easily.

I know you are looking at is as an A's fan wanting your team to get a great player but from the players point of view it should be football as a no brainer.

I am a Pirates fan and we had a similar situation some time ago where they drafted a highly thought of HS QB named J.R. House, he signed with the Pirates and gave up a lot of college offers and ended up burning out and not making it in any sport, he managed to play a few dozen games in the MLB over like 4 or 5 years

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Bo was playing both simultaneously though, Murray will not be doing that.

Sure there is no question that football is more dangerous and he is more likely to have a bad injury there but QB's are also much more protected than the other positions and they have generally lived much fuller lives, of all the guys who are dying in their 40's and 50's of CTE how many of them are QB's? Very few if any..the only QB that I recall dying young was Steve McNair who was murdered in a domestic issue.

QB's that don't stink the place up generally have long careers, make huge money, and since QB's are generally the smartest guys in the game they often slot right into a tv or announcing role very easily.

I know you are looking at is as an A's fan wanting your team to get a great player but from the players point of view it should be football as a no brainer.

I am a Pirates fan and we had a similar situation some time ago where they drafted a highly thought of HS QB named J.R. House, he signed with the Pirates and gave up a lot of college offers and ended up burning out and not making it in any sport, he managed to play a few dozen games in the MLB over like 4 or 5 years
I've tried to remove myself as a fan as much as possible, especially knowing it is extremely likely the A's would receive a compensation pick if (when) he enters the nfl draft.

I saw my favorite football player's career ended on a hit that caused a concussion (Steve Young). Alex Smith just broke his leg the same way Joe Theissman did, and iirc Smith's leg became infected post-op.

I know there are many more inbetween, too. I'll side with Theissman himself when he said 'congrats on the heisman, Kyler. Now have a great career in baseball'.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I've tried to remove myself as a fan as much as possible, especially knowing it is extremely likely the A's would receive a compensation pick if (when) he enters the nfl draft.

I saw my favorite football player's career ended on a hit that caused a concussion (Steve Young). Alex Smith just broke his leg the same way Joe Theissman did, and iirc Smith's leg became infected post-op.

I know there are many more inbetween, too. I'll side with Theissman himself when he said 'congrats on the heisman, Kyler. Now have a great career in baseball'.

From what I read there would be no comp pick, they would hold onto his rights baseball wise

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I thought it was 10 million initially?

Have to respect the kid and his representation for realizing he has a very unique case of leverage and is trying to get himself the most money possible early.

That being said, walking up to the table and asking Billy Beane to give you 15 million dollars without even so much as a major league at bat to your name? Likely in vain given Beane won't even bother matching offers on his players.

I think he would go in the first round in the NFL too. Too many teams still need a QB to either build around or stash behind their aging star (Saints, Patriots, Packers to an extent, Steelers)

Edit: even moreso the MLB realizes how special this kid is given they're willing to waive rules to get it done. That's huge.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I thought it was 10 million initially?

Have to respect the kid and his representation for realizing he has a very unique case of leverage and is trying to get himself the most money possible early.

That being said, walking up to the table and asking Billy Beane to give you 15 million dollars without even so much as a major league at bat to your name? Likely in vain given Beane won't even bother matching offers on his players.

I think he would go in the first round in the NFL too. Too many teams still need a QB to either build around or stash behind their aging star (Saints, Patriots, Packers to an extent, Steelers)

Edit: even moreso the MLB realizes how special this kid is given they're willing to waive rules to get it done. That's huge.
That's not true. A's spend money on their talent, but often prior to their free agency period. They just paid Khris Davis 16.5 in an offseason where dh types aren't getting jack.

Mlb couldn't care less about the A's here. They'd rather make money off of him and are allowing the rules to be bent. Interesting to see how it plays out, and if it creates a slippery slope in the future.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Murray should play football. Murray stands to make at least $10 million as a first round pick in the NFL. He's almost guaranteed to get a decent second contract, at minimum. He won't have to spend 2-3 seasons toiling in the minor leagues and the bust rate, even for MLB, is pretty high. The majority of first round NFL picks are good players.

Honestly, if I were Murray, I would hate playing in front of >3,000 fans in the minor leagues, and living that life when he could be in front of packed stadiums for an NFL team getting first class treatment/amenities.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Murray should play football. Murray stands to make at least $10 million as a first round pick in the NFL. He's almost guaranteed to get a decent second contract, at minimum. He won't have to spend 2-3 seasons toiling in the minor leagues and the bust rate, even for MLB, is pretty high. The majority of first round NFL picks are good players.

Honestly, if I were Murray, I would hate playing in front of >3,000 fans in the minor leagues, and living that life when he could be in front of packed stadiums for an NFL team getting first class treatment/amenities.

you make it sound like he'd be a starting QB right out of the gate

sure, life in the minors isn't fun. but what fun is spending games on the sidelines as a backup QB?

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008

sure, life in the minors isn't fun. but what fun is spending games on the sidelines as a backup QB?

I never said he'd be a starting QB right out of the gate. Even then, being a back-up QB puts you one step away from actually playing in a meaningful game. I'd imagine teams that are looking to draft Murray don't have a solid #1 QB, so he wouldn't really be too far from starting. Look at this season. All 5 QB's in the first round all received significant playing time.

On the other hand, there's next to no chance that Murray makes the major leagues in his first 2 professional seasons. A realistic timeline for Murray to make the major leagues, if he even makes it, is more like 3-4 seasons.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

He's projected to go in the first. If not in game #1, he'll start soon after.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

Life in the minors not being fun is probably an understatement though. Living 4 guys to a room, PB&J sandwiches everyday, crappy bus rides, etc is so much worse than being treated like a king for just being on an NFL roster. And even if he stands on the sidelines as a back up for his whole career, he can make stupid money and not really even have to deal with all the physical repercussions most football players have to. There's still a big chance he never even makes a MLB roster and doesn't make much more than his signing bonus.

member 157595

I get the not wanting to languish in the minor leagues thing, but I still think it's crazy to give up a less violent sport with guaranteed contracts in favor of a far more violent sport without guaranteed contracts.

Reactions: Clowe Me

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Especially if you consider that he's of pretty diminutive stature for a football player. That dude is 5'11 standing on his toes. Sure, it's never been easier for small QBs to make it in the league, but there's still a question mark about how much abuse he'd have to endure and how long that would allow him to last in the league.

Reactions: Clowe Me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->