kyle wellwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
mkboots said:
how good will he be, and who can he be compared to.

I have always felt Kyle Wellwood is one of the mostr underrated prosepct of his time.

two time 100 point scorer in the OH, which means something when in your rookie season in the AHL you score about a point a game.

he is only 5"10 185 ( not in shape 185) but who cares.... if your good at hockey your good at hockey.... I'd like the Leafs to start throwing people in the pine up rather then deciding on them while their tearing it up in the rock... it's not fiar to either side.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Very good hockey player......really smart, good hands good thinking
problems....not nhl skater, not most physical, and height....but i mean look at St. Loius yes it probably wont hapen but who would have thought St. Louis would do what he did? no one so who knows

Dark Phoenix

Jul 30, 2004
Unfortunately, most Leafs fans think Wellwood won't make the NHL.

But I agree with the "one of the most underrated prospects" line.

Dark Phoenix

Jul 30, 2004
Wellwood's speed has been improving since he was 17. He's faster now than he was in the OHL.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
leaflover said:
From the few times i've seen Wellwood play i'd summarize by saying:

"big league skill,minor league size and speed"

I agree.

He has amazing hands, though.

Who knows? I'd like to see him succeed. I think he's a bad/mediocre skater and that will really hinder him.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Reveille said:
I agree.

He has amazing hands, though.

Who knows? I'd like to see him succeed. I think he's a bad/mediocre skater and that will really hinder him.
Wellwood isn't a bad skater but he isn't a great skater. The problem is that most NHL players his size are excellent skaters whereas Wellwood is merely average.

db23

He is completely one dimensional. He isn't good enough offensively to make the NHL without playing any defence. Defence requires some strength and speed and toughness. Wellwood has shown no signs of that and will probably end up in Europe.

Dark Phoenix

Jul 30, 2004
Well, IMHO, Wellwood needs to decide which kind of small player he wants to be in the NHL if he wants to take the next step. Normally, small players fall in only two categories.

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I've heard Wellwood has improved his defensive play.
He's continued to prove critics wrong at every level he's played at, so I believe he'll make the nhl in a year or two and eventually become a 20 goal scorer.
Skating isn't a necessity to make the nhl when you have natural goal scoring instincts...two of the best LW of all time admit they can't skate, Andreychuk and Robitaille...

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
balddog66 said:
I've heard Wellwood has improved his defensive play.
He's continued to prove critics wrong at every level he's played at, so I believe he'll make the nhl in a year or two and eventually become a 20 goal scorer.
Skating isn't a necessity to make the nhl when you have natural goal scoring instincts...two of the best LW of all time admit they can't skate, Andreychuk and Robitaille...
Andreychuk doesn't need to skate because he is a 6'4" garbage goal scorer. Luc Robitaille can't skate but he is 6'1", not 5'9". I like Wellwood but there is no point comparing him to players don't have the same size disadvantage he has. The Martin St. Louis/Theo Fleury argument also annoys me because they are the exception, not the majority. The majority of small and skilled forward prospects can't make it to the NHL with much success.

Dark Phoenix

Jul 30, 2004
Wellwood was measured at 5'9" when he was drafted. He's measured at 5'11" now. And he has improved both his skating and his defensive play, which was underrated to begin with.

Sammy*

Dark Phoenix said:
Wellwood was measured at 5'9" when he was drafted. He's measured at 5'11" now. And he has improved both his skating and his defensive play, which was underrated to begin with.
He is a terrible skater.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I've seen Wellwood and this cat's got skill to burn. That was in his junior days. He was slow then a bit Locke-ish except that I don't know if he has the same drive and determination.

Sammy*

Dark Phoenix said:
Ah, I see. Guess the Leafs' own scouts and the people who write stuff here are all totally wrong.
OK, you got me.
He's world class.

Dark Phoenix

Jul 30, 2004
Sammy said:
OK, you got me.
He's world class.

No one said that. However, it has been confirmed that Wellwood is a much better skater now than he was in the OHL. He's not St. Louis fast (and probably never will be), but he's not so bad the defencemen will simply be skating up to him and stripping the puck off his stick. His point totals last year show that.

Sammy*

Dark Phoenix said:
No one said that. However, it has been confirmed that Wellwood is a much better skater now than he was in the OHL. He's not St. Louis fast (and probably never will be), but he's not so bad the defencemen will simply be skating up to him and stripping the puck off his stick. His point totals last year show that.
He was a brutal skater in Junior & put up a ton of points. So he has improved, he should , he's getting older.
I cannot think of one small, somewhat soft guy who is as poor a skater as Wellwood & whose schtick is offense, making it. You may be able show me 1 or 2 guys who did, but they are dwarfed by guys who didnt. Besides which, I would be very surprised if they were as bad a skater as Wellwood.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Wellwood is just the next Sergei Varlamov or Marty Murray, a talented guy who could rack up big points in junior but won't be able to tranlate his game the big leagues.

Dark Phoenix

Jul 30, 2004
Epsilon said:
Wellwood is just the next Sergei Varlamov or Marty Murray, a talented guy who could rack up big points in junior but won't be able to tranlate his game the big leagues.

I've heard that one too. Except he was just the leading rookie scorer in the AHL, and he was playing third line for half the season. Indications are he'll score more points next year. That's half the step already.

Anyway, I'm not going to bother having this argument over Wellwood, because I've had it before. There is no end to it, and having it is a waste of time for both sides.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Dark Phoenix said:
I've heard that one too. Except he was just the leading rookie scorer in the AHL, and he was playing third line for half the season. Indications are he'll score more points next year. That's half the step already.

Anyway, I'm not going to bother having this argument over Wellwood, because I've had it before. There is no end to it, and having it is a waste of time for both sides.

Varlamov and Murray put up points at the AHL level too.

Dark Phoenix

Jul 30, 2004
And I seem to remember people saying that Wellwood was going to be a clone of a bunch of other great junior scorers; put up fantastic points in the OHL, but be completely useless at any higher level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad