Kyle Turris

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Lots of time for Turris to gain weight. Someone compared him to Eric Staal earlier, and although I think they are different, Staal is the perfect example of a player who gained muscle and became a totally different player. How much bigger did he get from his draft year to last year?

Last edited:

Bam Beet*

Turris is not nearly as tall as Staal.

The point I was trying to make was they were/are both tall, albeit Staal is taller, but were/are very skinny. Looking at Eric now and how much weight he has gained since his draft year suggests that Turris could do the same.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
The point I was trying to make was they were/are both tall, albeit Staal is taller, but were/are very skinny. Looking at Eric now and how much weight he has gained since his draft year suggests that Turris could do the same.

This is really just nitpicking, but Turris is of average height by NHL standards.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
So couldn't he play in the W for one season?

You lose NCAA eligibility if you play CHL hockey.

I think it used to be you lost eligibility if you even showed up at a training camp for more than 48 hours. I don't know if it's still like that though.

TheDanceOfMaternity

Jul 13, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I feel incredibly stupid asking this, but since i can only learn about anything Hockey that isn't the NHL here, what is the BCHL?

The "Top" Junior Leagues in Canada are the Dub, the Q and the O, No?

fancy dan*

i wonder how this early exit from playoffs will effect turris' ranking. could see other kids lighting it up in playoffs, and moving up.

also, and this is way out there but was discussing this with a friend, keep in mind i have no idea about the rules surrounding this. could turris join the vancouver giants? i know he is their property and they are hosting the memorial cup... would be some good exposure, and perhaps the measuring stick for all those people asking why he isn't playing major junior.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
i wonder how this early exit from playoffs will effect turris' ranking. could see other kids lighting it up in playoffs, and moving up.

Won't affect his ranking at all. The series went seven games and he played very well. Spoke to Turris the other day for a profile in our upcoming report. He really wanted to get another chance to win the Canadian Junior A championship and I'm sure he's disappointed to be eliminated from the playoffs. He does get a nice consolation prize, though. He'll get to play for Canada at world under-18 championship in Finland next month. This is a great opportunity for him and for scouts.

could turris join the vancouver giants? i know he is their property and they are hosting the memorial cup... would be some good exposure, and perhaps the measuring stick for all those people asking why he isn't playing major junior.

Hockey Canada has a Jan. 10 cutoff date for signing players to registration cards. Turris cannot join the Giants now unless he was signed to an affiliate card by the Giants -- which didn't happen. Had he done that, he would have forfeited his NCAA eligibility. He is determined to go to Wisconsin and seemed very comfortable with his decision. He has nothing against major junior hockey, he just didn't feel it was the right path for him.

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
You lose NCAA eligibility if you play CHL hockey.

I think it used to be you lost eligibility if you even showed up at a training camp for more than 48 hours. I don't know if it's still like that though.

I believe now if you play one shift in an exhibition game you forfeit your eligiblity

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site

To be honest, I think the early exit from the playoffs could greatly enhance his draft status. He's thoroughly proven over the past couple of seasons that he's a level above BCHL competition. He's got nothing left to prove at that level.

I know I'm more excited - and I'm sure ISS is as well - to see Turris up against many of the top draft eligible players in the world at the U-18 tournament.
He was competent in the summer tournament, excelled at the Jr. A Challenge in November, and this will be his chance to separate himself from the pack head-to-head.

elvisisalive

Feb 20, 2007
I agree, this will be a real opportunuity for him to shine playing with and against players at or around his own skill level.At least we'll be able to compare him in a apples to apples situation.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
Unless... his injury causes him some trouble? Apples to slightly bruised apples, possibly? :dunno:

Just spoke to his coach Rick Lanz and team trainer for a feature I'm doing. Injury was a deep thigh bruise. If his team wasn't eliminated from playoffs, it would have kept him out of action for three to five days. He's a gamer, he tried to play through it, but it really hampered his mobility. He's back skating now and plans to suit up for Team Canada in Finland. There should be no lingering effects from injury by the time tournament starts in a week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->