Player Discussion Kyle Turris

JessicaN

Sep 11, 2012
First sports jersey I ever had is a black heritage alternate Turris before he got an "A"

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Stepan
12/13: 20:55
13/14: 18:03
14/15: 18:10
15/16: 17:45

Turris:
12/13: 19:38
13/14: 18:43
14/15: 19:12
15/16: 19:42

Hmm... And I'm biased?

Cue Some analytical argument how Turris ice time does not count and Stepan actually played more per game three of the last four seasons

12/13 - just look at the two teams. turris had alfie, a young zibby and....colin greening? as offensive support. stepan had nash, richards, callahan, gaborik, brassard, zuccarello. not to mention the lockout year had people posting weird offensive numbers.

13/14 - both played full seasons and turris outscored stepan by one point.

14/15 - stepan's season shortened due to injury. IF he had kept his pace for the rest of the season, stepan would have outscored turris by two points.

15/16 - i believe i read a comment from a rangers fan that stepan was injured earlier in the season. i can't remember what he said it was, but i know it was upper body. ribs maybe? i'm sure it effected his game. we know what went on with turris. i'm not sure who's game would be thrown off more by their injury. if we take the best splits from both, stepan outscores turris by two points. two points is close enough for me to say the difference is negligible because the numbers are based of paces.

conclusion: stepan isn't healthy enough for his marginal AT BEST offensive advantage on turris for someone to make a comment like:

Since the lockout
Stepan
270GP 209Pts (0.77PPG)

Turris
269GP 181Pts (0.67PPG)

So Turris will need to step it up a bit and match what Stepan did

also, the paces do not show the actual impact on the ice since stepan isn't on it as much. also, if we take out the lockout year and use the paces i have (including best split paces for last season)

turris - 64 points/82 games (0.788)
stepan - 65 points/82 games (0.801)

also take into account that stepan has, in actual nhl seasons and actual nhl points, only outscored turris once since the season after the lockout year, and it was this past season.

needless to say, the tandem with brassard will work out just as well if not better than the tandem in new york

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Turris could easily be a number one center for putting up 1st line numbers in the regular season. In the playoffs however i think he'd have a hard time matching some other team's first line centers. I also think for ottawa to be good with turris as a number one center they need to bring down their GA.

I think Stephan or turris could play better then eachother any other year. It super close. I think its dishonest to think theres a gap between them doesnt come down to things like injuries, linemates, coaching, role and team any given year.

Im also curious why it matters wtf turris did 4 years ago? Hasnt he been one of the most noticeable players to get better each season with the sens. His growth as a player since coming from phoenix has been very apparent every season.

His ppg from 4 years ago doesnt matter because he very obviously a much better player then he was back then.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I don't really get why we are comparing Turris to Stepan anyway. We've got Turris and Brassard. Neither one is in the upper half of #1Cs in the league but both can lay claim to playing a 1C role the past two seasons. What does work for us though is that one of those guys is a 2C and that is a strength. Our team as a whole has centre as a strength IMO. We have 6 or 7 guys that can play C and unless we have 2 of Brassard, Turris and JGP out for an extended period we can withstand an injury better than most teams in our top 2 Cs.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Since the lockout

Stepan
270GP 209Pts (0.77PPG)

Turris
269GP 181Pts (0.67PPG)

So Turris will need to step it up a bit and match what Stepan did.

However if you take out his injury plagued season last year, and only check his first 2 full NHL seasons where he was a 1st line C (2013-14 & 2014-15), then you have an average of 61 pts per 82 games (0.74 PPG)

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
However if you take out his injury plagued season last year, and only check his first 2 full NHL seasons where he was a 1st line C (2013-14 & 2014-15), then you have an average of 61 pts per 82 games (0.74 PPG)

Turris was the 1st line C in 2012-2013 also(Spezza injured after the first five games) and scored 29 points in 48 games (0.60 PPG)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Turris was the 1st line C in 2012-2013 also(Spezza injured after the first five games) and scored 29 points in 48 games (0.60 PPG)

He led the team in scoring, though the team was so badly hit by injuries the only one that gave him a run for it was Alfie.

We had guys like Latendress, Greening, Smith and Neil all playing stints in the top 6, and no Karlsson (after 14 games) to make up for it.

Given the circumstances, a ~50 pts pace doesn't seem bad for a 23 year old in his first stint as a #1 center.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Will put up 65-70 this year.

I don't see it... I think he's maxed out at production with his ice time.

On the other hand I could see Brassard jumping to 70Pts if he gets the ice time Turris has got the last few years.

In NY Brassard was getting 15-17 a game.

Brassard 70Pts 18-19TOI
Turris 55-60Pts 18-19TOI

I even see Brassard taking PP time away from Turris

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think both Brassard and Turris can hit 70 ,i have faith we will have a much improved pp ,that will feature two pretty potent unit,s

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I'd be happy with more guys in the 50-60 pt range and not worry if one guy shines to 70 pts.
I think the team will be very balanced this year. The Sens have a lot of players that can easily be in the 40-60 pt range and that will be a dangerous team.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I love how competitive Turris is. He's constantly working his ass off, taking abuse, skating hard both on the forecheck and the backcheck. He demands the puck from his linemates, slamming his stick on the ice with authority.

I see a guy who scores 60-70 points quite easily and I think that's decent for a top 6 centre.

Meanwhile, when you look at our top 3 centres, they have a very good likelihood of being our three hardest working players.

I think it's a good tone to set for the team.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I love how competitive Turris is. He's constantly working his ass off, taking abuse, skating hard both on the forecheck and the backcheck. He demands the puck from his linemates, slamming his stick on the ice with authority.

I see a guy who scores 60-70 points quite easily and I think that's decent for a top 6 centre.

Meanwhile, when you look at our top 3 centres, they have a very good likelihood of being our three hardest working players.

I think it's a good tone to set for the team.

Not to mention a player like Colin White coming up who is very similar.

DALLAS90

Aug 22, 2016
MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Brassard - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Lazar
Puempel - Paul/Kelly - Neil

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Borowiecki - Wideman

1. Anderson 2. Hammond

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I don't see it... I think he's maxed out at production with his ice time.

On the other hand I could see Brassard jumping to 70Pts if he gets the ice time Turris has got the last few years.

In NY Brassard was getting 15-17 a game.

Brassard 70Pts 18-19TOI
Turris 55-60Pts 18-19TOI

I even see Brassard taking PP time away from Turris

Brassard is on the #1 pp no question. He is lethal on the PP, has been since he was in D-Ville.

Turris will "likely" have the luxury of playing with Stone and Hoffman, but I also think Brassard leads our centres in scoring.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Turris lacks strenght on the ice to be a true #1 center IMO. He gets pushed off the puck rather easily and isn't the best along the boards. I expect him in the 55-65 range.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I feel like we don't have anyone in the Kopitar, Toews and Bergeron class. But have two guys from the Carter, Krejci and Sharp class.

It's pretty good, possibly even above average. But obviously not elite.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I feel like we don't have anyone in the Kopitar, Toews and Bergeron class. But have two guys from the Carter, Krejci and Sharp class.

It's pretty good, possibly even above average. But obviously not elite.

I didn't think Sharp really played Center for the hawks. Guys like Madden, Bolland, Kruger, Shaw Richards, and Hanzus were taking the faceoffs. I think our 1b is a step up from those guys, though obviously our 1a is a significant step down from Toews.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Sharp is a winger but I agree fully. Two above average top 6 centers compared to one elite and one average top six center.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
He led the team in scoring, though the team was so badly hit by injuries the only one that gave him a run for it was Alfie.

We had guys like Latendress, Greening, Smith and Neil all playing stints in the top 6, and no Karlsson (after 14 games) to make up for it.

Given the circumstances, a ~50 pts pace doesn't seem bad for a 23 year old in his first stint as a #1 center.

Don't think it's bad at all. Was just pointing out that he was the 1C that season as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->