Kyle Turris-Is he Crazy?

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Regarding the BCJHL having mostly (or so many) players cut from WHL teams:
This is partially true, but it doesn't tell the whole story. Many such players are 19 and 20 year olds. Their WHL teams chose not to keep them because they want to develop some 16 and 17 year olds for the future instead- often about 8 or 9. These 19 +20 year old "cuts" playing in the BCJHL are often (currently) better players than many of these younger players in the WHL. They just have less pro potential, being older.

Other BCJHL players are, as mentioned before, playing for scholarships. The number who would simply not be good enough to replace even 4th line 16 year olds in the WHL are quite few.

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
Kyle did just go through a bit of a growth spurt..he was 5'06 2 years ago.

His dad is 6'03 210...so maybe it is just genes with him and he will eventually fill out naturally.
Lala, not sure where you got this mis-information on the dimensions of Mr. Turris. However to clarify the facts, Bruce Turris is a former WLA Senior lacrosse player of note who was very good back in the day. There is no way Bruce was or is taller than 5'11" and much more than 185 lbs.

Regardless of the size of his father, Kyle is a very talented player no doubt and will be fun to watch as he develops further. But don't expect him to be near 6'3" and over 200 lbs.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Kyle did just go through a bit of a growth spurt..he was 5'06 2 years ago.

His dad is 6'03 210...so maybe it is just genes with him and he will eventually fill out naturally.
Lala, not sure where you got this mis-information on the dimensions of Mr. Turris. However to clarify the facts, Bruce Turris is a former WLA Senior lacrosse player of note who was very good back in the day. There is no way Bruce was or is taller than 5'11" and much more than 185 lbs.

Regardless of the size of his father, Kyle is a very talented player no doubt and will be fun to watch as he develops further. But don't expect him to be near 6'3" and over 200 lbs.

Thanks...I got the information from a friend of mine in Vancouver...Ill have to ask him about it..perhaps he is mistaken.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Regarding the BCJHL having mostly (or so many) players cut from WHL teams:
This is partially true, but it doesn't tell the whole story. Many such players are 19 and 20 year olds. Their WHL teams chose not to keep them because they want to develop some 16 and 17 year olds for the future instead- often about 8 or 9. These 19 +20 year old "cuts" playing in the BCJHL are often (currently) better players than many of these younger players in the WHL. They just have less pro potential, being older.

Other BCJHL players are, as mentioned before, playing for scholarships. The number who would simply not be good enough to replace even 4th line 16 year olds in the WHL are quite few.

I am sure in some cases some good 19 year olds are cut and sent to the BCHL but that doesnt happen on every WHL team every year. Plus if they arent good enough to stick with their WHL team than they obviously arent that good in the first place. Regardless of age, WHL teams arent going to cut good 19 year old players. Sure there are a few rebuilding teams each year that MAY do that but its not league wide.

As Matt MacInnis said, there are only 2 BCHL teams that have 10 or more players on scholarships to the NCAA...so those other 10 players on the teams have to come from somewhere...and there is no way they are all 19 year olds cut because their WHL team is rebuilding.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
I am sure in some cases some good 19 year olds are cut and sent to the BCHL but that doesnt happen on every WHL team every year. Plus if they arent good enough to stick with their WHL team than they obviously arent that good in the first place. Regardless of age, WHL teams arent going to cut good 19 year old players. Sure there are a few rebuilding teams each year that MAY do that but its not league wide.

As Matt MacInnis said, there are only 2 BCHL teams that have 10 or more players on scholarships to the NCAA...so those other 10 players on the teams have to come from somewhere...and there is no way they are all 19 year olds cut because their WHL team is rebuilding.
It's not a matter of WHL clubs rebuilding or anything like that.

Let me re-state it. WHL teams (most CHL teams for that matter) will usually carry 7 to 10 16/17 year olds because they're breaking them in for the fuure. Virtually no CHL team goes with all 19/20 year olds. The 19 and 20 year olds who are cut were not good enough to play in the top two sets on their WHL team but they would be good enough on the third/fourth lines- as good as the 17 year olds and 16 year olds (save for a few elite 16 and 17 year olds).

The BCJHL gets more of these WHL level players than most other tier 2 leagues in Canada. In fact there are some ex-WHLers in the league (what with the more limited overage rules in the WHL) and older players who were replaced on their affiliated WHL team by 16/17 year olds thought to have brighter futures. Combine that with the players who have deliberately stayed in the league to get an NCAA scholarship (best league in Canada for that) and you'll see that the level of hockey is higher than many seem to think.

Turris scoring big time against a number of quality 17-19 year olds with NCAA scholarships waiting, plus as many as six 20 year olds per club, some ex-WHLers, and 18-19 year olds who are as good as 16-17 year olds in the WHL but not playing there because the WHL teams (sensibly) want to go with the younger guys with higher potential, well it's a lot more of an achievement that many here seem to think. That's why he's considered a possible #1 overall pick.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Well, Turris is off to a strong start in the first two games of the BCHL playoffs with a goal (empty net) and five assists. Because of Turris, the Express are going to be a really tough team for anybody to knock off.

People have said a lot about whether Turris' level of play is going to impact his draft position, etc - something I've been pretty clear that I don't believe that it will. If you watch enough BCHL games, you actually get a real idea of the level of play that the league has to offer. People need to keep in mind that the scouts and teams that are evaluating Turris are more than aware of the context of where he is playing. It's not like he's playing in a mysterious vacuum that has to point of reference.

The ONLY question I have about Turris based on the level he plays at is I'm not certain if he's going to be able to be as accurate with his shooting at another level. He's able to create a bit more space in the BCHL which gives him a bit more time to get set and really pick the openings. But we'll see. Turris has a tremendous all-around offensive game. Some guys are good passers, others have good instincts and know where to be at the right time, others have the accurate wrist shot, some a quick release and others a powerful slap shot. Turris really has the whole offensive package.

Last edited:

espo*

Well, Turris is off to a strong start in the first two games of the BCHL playoffs with a goal (empty net) and five assists. Because of Turris, the Express are going to be a really tough team for anybody to knock off.

People have said a lot about whether Turris' level of play is going to impact his draft position, etc - something I've been pretty clear that I don't believe that it will. If you want enough BCHL games, you actually get a real idea of the level of play that the league has to offer. People need to keep in mind that the scouts and teams that are evaluating Turris are more than aware of the context of where he is playing. It's not like he's playing in a mysterious vacuum that has to point of reference.

The ONLY question I have about Turris based on the level he plays at is I'm not certain if he's going to be able to be as accurate with his shooting at another level. He's able to create a bit more space in the BCHL which gives him a bit more time to get set and really pick the openings. But we'll see. Turris has a tremendous all-around offensive game. Some guys are good passers, others have good instincts and know where to be at the right time, others have the accurate wrist shot, some a quick release and others a powerful slap shot. Turris really has the whole offensive package.

Who do you like more? kane or turris?

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Who do you like more? kane or turris?

I like them both and I don't think that there is a significant difference between them at this point. I would not be surprised to see either of them taken anywhere from first to fourth overall respectively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->