Kyle Turris-Is he Crazy?

WesternEliteHockeyPr

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
He has like 63 goals in 51 games which is almost unheard of in any league these days but he continue's to play in the BCHL. He is almost guaranteed a Top 10 draft pick this year and will likely earn huge money in the NHL as well. However, why is he not going to Vancouver Giants to play in the MEM CUP and gain even more exposure? Makes no sence to me when everyone including himself knows that he won't stay in the NCAA for the full 4 yrs.

funktasticblues93

Jun 3, 2006
st. louis mo.
maybe he has his reasons, he can always go to college for one year and get all the general courses out of the way and then finish college either during our after his career is over....everyone has there reasons for things, just because you don't agree with them doesn't mean they're not the right decision for that particular individual

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
He has like 63 goals in 51 games which is almost unheard of in any league these days but he continue's to play in the BCHL. He is almost guaranteed a Top 10 draft pick this year and will likely earn huge money in the NHL as well. However, why is he not going to Vancouver Giants to play in the MEM CUP and gain even more exposure? Makes no sence to me when everyone including himself knows that he won't stay in the NCAA for the full 4 yrs.

Turris has said that education is very important to him. Kudos to him for recognizing that. As well, Wisconsin has one of the best conditioning and training programs/regimens in the NCAA. What's not to like about a thin kid going to Wisconsin and when they finish with him, he'll probably have added 25 to 30 pounds of muscle to his frame. A 6'1, 200 pound 21 year old who can play the game. Yeah, just a terrible decision..... :shakehead

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Turris has said that education is very important to him. Kudos to him for recognizing that. As well, Wisconsin has one of the best conditioning and training programs/regimens in the NCAA. What's not to like about a thin kid going to Wisconsin and when they finish with him, he'll probably have added 25 to 30 pounds of muscle to his frame. A 6'1, 200 pound 21 year old who can play the game. Yeah, just a terrible decision..... :shakehead

I bet you he never goes to College....

Its important to him...that is great. But when an NHL team plops down a contract in front of him and if he signs it he is an instant Millionaire, i doubt school will be that important to him.

Even if he does go to college...he will play 1 year...if School was as important to these guys than why dont they finish school? Cammalleri and Comrie said the same things when they were 17..."school is important" They both left school early.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

Its important to him...that is great. But when an NHL team plops down a contract in front of him and if he signs it he is an instant Millionaire, i doubt school will be that important to him.

Even if he does go to college...he will play 1 year...if School was as important to these guys than why dont they finish school? Cammalleri and Comrie said the same things when they were 17..."school is important" They both left school early.

I know a lot of players go to college because they get a scholarship to go to a school basically of their choosing. Turris may not finish his education but he does get a few years out of it free of charge. Not to mention quite a few NHL players go back to school in the offseasons and what not.

They may leave early, doesn't mean that education isn't important to them.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Turris has been pretty clear that his choice to go the BCHL/NCAA was based on a couple of factors, two more significant being that:

1)Education is important to him.

2)This route gives him more time to develop into an NHL calibre player/add strength and size

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site

Erik Johnson, Phil Kessel, JACK JOHNSON, T.J. Oshie, Jonathan Toews, etc...

Turris at 165 or 170 pounds isn't going to be NHL ready at that size, he'd get destroyed regardless of his skill. He needs to bulk up and step up his competition a little bit and the NCAA is a perfect fit. If you've never been to college, it's a lot of fun, differnet from the pro lifestyle and he's 17-18, you'll never get those years in college back with the experiences. He'll stay at least one year in the NCAA, maybe 2, after that though I'd highly expect him to be in the NHL.

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
Jack Johnson clearly loves college and confounded the 'Canes to the point where they gave him up in a terrible deal. Who says Turris isn't cut from similar cloth? And Madison is a hell of a lot cooler town than Ann Arbor, too.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Erik Johnson, Phil Kessel, JACK JOHNSON, T.J. Oshie, Jonathan Toews, etc...

Turris at 165 or 170 pounds isn't going to be NHL ready at that size, he'd get destroyed regardless of his skill. He needs to bulk up and step up his competition a little bit and the NCAA is a perfect fit. If you've never been to college, it's a lot of fun, differnet from the pro lifestyle and he's 17-18, you'll never get those years in college back with the experiences. He'll stay at least one year in the NCAA, maybe 2, after that though I'd highly expect him to be in the NHL.

True...i still dont think he finishes school.

I dont have a problem with kids going the school route. But a lot of them leave after 2 years because an NHL team hands them a bag of money.

So really the whole argument about "more time to develop" gets thrown out the window for me. (when dealing with high end guys) Turris will likely be in the AHL by 20 anyway...how is that any different than if he went WHL?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Jack Johnson clearly loves college and confounded the 'Canes to the point where they gave him up in a terrible deal. Who says Turris isn't cut from similar cloth? And Madison is a hell of a lot cooler town than Ann Arbor, too.

Jack Johnson is the exception not the rule.

Most Top 10 NHL picks dont get into their 3rd year of college...that was my main point.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
As a follow up to my last post:

Looking back to the 1999 draft, looking at the top 15 picks from each draft who was picked from the NCAA or headed to the NCAA.

1999:

Jeff Jillson - left after 3 years

2000:

Rick DiPeitro - left after 1 year
Dany Heatley - left after 2 years
Ron Hainsey - left after 2 years

2001:

Mike Komisarek - left after 2 years
Chuck Kobesew - left after 1 year to play in the WHL

2002:

Ryan Whitney - left after 3 years
Eric Nystrom - stayed for 4 years
Keith Ballard - left after 3 years
Chris Higgins - left after 2 years

2003:

Thomas Vanek - left after 2 years
Ryan Suter - left after 1 year
Hugh Jessimen - left after 3 years

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
You can continue your education even if you're not playing hockey....obviously some guys won't, but others might complete their degrees with summer courses over a few years.

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
Jack Johnson is the exception not the rule.

Most Top 10 NHL picks dont get into their 3rd year of college...that was my main point.

I never said he'd stay all four years. I only compared him to Jack Johnson, who, as we all know, is wrapping up his second year. I'm a Badgers fan, so I hope Turris stays for four years, but I think there's a slim chance that he's there more than two.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
True...i still dont think he finishes school.

I dont have a problem with kids going the school route. But a lot of them leave after 2 years because an NHL team hands them a bag of money.

So really the whole argument about "more time to develop" gets thrown out the window for me. (when dealing with high end guys) Turris will likely be in the AHL by 20 anyway...how is that any different than if he went WHL?

Agreed.

The Flyers in fact like to get their players out of the NCAA after two years tops.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
As a follow up to my last post:

Looking back to the 1999 draft, looking at the top 15 picks from each draft who was picked from the NCAA or headed to the NCAA.

1999:

Jeff Jillson - left after 3 years

2000:

Rick DiPeitro - left after 1 year
Dany Heatley - left after 2 years
Ron Hainsey - left after 2 years

2001:

Mike Komisarek - left after 2 years
Chuck Kobesew - left after 1 year to play in the WHL

2002:

Ryan Whitney - left after 3 years
Eric Nystrom - stayed for 4 years
Keith Ballard - left after 3 years
Chris Higgins - left after 2 years

2003:

Thomas Vanek - left after 2 years
Ryan Suter - left after 1 year
Hugh Jessimen - left after 3 years

I don't necessarily disagree that Turris is unlikely to spend a full four years at Wisconsin, but I'd argue that only one of those players (Chris Higgins) is in the same position as Turris (being significantly undersized).

badtakemachine

Dec 20, 2002
According to the Powell River Kings' broadcast, Kyle Turris turned down a $500,000 offer from the Vancouver Giants for this season. When he says that the education is important to him, he means it, unlike people like me who just say that because I'm not good enough/don't have the connections to play major junior. I love what Turris is trying to do. As stated in this thread, he really is a skinny player right now with a TON of skill, and going to Wisconsin will allow his body to play at the level that his skill allows him to, and his potential will be maximized.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Turris is a very good offensive player who will go in the top ten (perhaps top five - yeah I know some rankings have him going as high as 2nd but I don't see it) but he is in no way remotely ready for the NHL next year or I would argue even the year after that. He is very slight of frame and will need time to fill out.

He'll be at Wisconsin for a couple of years for sure.

Odontya

May 24, 2006
Well, what would you say if he switched to the WHL now? That he is inconsistent with his decisions and a liar? It takes balls to stick with your word.

fullclip

Prepare to die
Jul 19, 2004
UBC
Its definitley a good idea to finish your education in general and just in case the NHL career doesnt pan out.

AgentNaslund*

Maybe he likes the NCAA style better then the CHL game better. It's not a sin just stay in college for 2 or 3 years.

pls pls, dont start this up, he chose college because he wanted to go school. Everyone knows CHL is the best junior pro leauge in the world. I dont care if your American, even you should know that as a hockey fan. He just chose Wisconsin for the school.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
[QUOT.E=VOB;8321882]Turris is a very good offensive player who will go in the top ten (perhaps top five - yeah I know some rankings have him going as high as 2nd but I don't see it) but he is in no way remotely ready for the NHL next year or I would argue even the year after that. He is very slight of frame and will need time to fill out.

He'll be at Wisconsin for a couple of years for sure.[/QUOTE]

I think 2 years at Wisconsin would do him MARVELS. He'll come out as a more complete player, with more meat on his bones, and just be all around better than he'd be if he went right to the NHL or only 1 year of school.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
pls pls, dont start this up, he chose college because he wanted to go school. Everyone knows CHL is the best junior pro leauge in the world. I dont care if your American, even you should know that as a hockey fan. He just chose Wisconsin for the school.

Don't know how you can say that it's the best league. It's good for some people, better for others. The same can be said for the NCAA.

I've said for years now that I'd stake my reputation on this board in the fact that I think a NCAA team would steamroll a CHL team if put in a head to head game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad