Player Discussion Kyle Okposo - Farewell Okie

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
Does anyone have any insight into what sort of protocol or standards are used to determine what does and does not count for a retirement-worthy injury (as far as still getting to collect your checks)? Given the mention of increased likelihood of complications from the retina thing, in addition to the unusually severe concussion, one would think he is at least in the territory of being able to make a legitimate case.

I’m only speculating, but it seems like his personality—especially his personality as compounded by the reported changes with his concussion ordeal—is one of high standards and expectations. Nigh stubbornness. I feel like I remember him talking about honoring his contract and it’s weight in the past. With all that’s happened I’m not sure you’d find a person in hockey who would criticize him if he decided to hang’em up, but I’m not sure that will happen. I’m not gonna pretend it wouldn’t be better for the Sabres if he retired, but I wouldn’t resent him for sticking it out.

I also find myself always watching him with all the chatter and groupthink about him in the back of my mind. If his caphit weren’t what it was, how critical would people still be of his play? If he isn’t a defensive liability, then shouldn’t he at least serve as a depth scorer/pp2 option (I.e., the sort of player the team could use)?

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Does anyone have any insight into what sort of protocol or standards are used to determine what does and does not count for a retirement-worthy injury (as far as still getting to collect your checks)? Given the mention of increased likelihood of complications from the retina thing, in addition to the unusually severe concussion, one would think he is at least in the territory of being able to make a legitimate case.

I’m only speculating, but it seems like his personality—especially his personality as compounded by the reported changes with his concussion ordeal—is one of high standards and expectations. Nigh stubbornness. I feel like I remember him talking about honoring his contract and it’s weight in the past. With all that’s happened I’m not sure you’d find a person in hockey who would criticize him if he decided to hang’em up, but I’m not sure that will happen. I’m not gonna pretend it wouldn’t be better for the Sabres if he retired, but I wouldn’t resent him for sticking it out.

I also find myself always watching him with all the chatter and groupthink about him in the back of my mind. If his caphit weren’t what it was, how critical would people still be of his play? If he isn’t a defensive liability, then shouldn’t he at least serve as a depth scorer/pp2 option (I.e., the sort of player the team could use)?

It all depends on what the team doctors will clear and what they won't clear.

If the team doctor clears him and he doesn't want to play any longer, then the contract is voided.

If he wants to play, but the team doctor doesn't clear him, that's when LTIR comes into play ala Callahan, Pronger, etc.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
He may not quite be worth his full cap hit, but what a redemption story. The way he reinvented himself so he can contribute towards wins is the biggest and best surprise of the season. If Casey and Dahlin would come anywhere near hitting their potential, things could get exciting.

But I think I speak for a lot of people when I say KO making himself a valuable player again was one of the least expected pieces of good news this season. Victor's speedy acclimation might be close.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
He may not quite be worth his full cap hit, but what a redemption story. The way he reinvented himself so he can contribute towards wins is the biggest and best surprise of the season. If Casey and Dahlin would come anywhere near hitting their potential, things could get exciting.

But I think I speak for a lot of people when I say KO making himself a valuable player again was one of the least expected pieces of good news this season. Victor's speedy acclimation might be close.

Was looking at the fancy stats and Okposo seems to drive that line more than Larsson or Girgs but they all need each other regardless. Okposo is making too much money for what he provides but at least he's providing now. I'm glad he has accepted his role instead of whining about offensive zone starts and things of that nature like others have in the past.

mechaworm

Nov 5, 2019

The fact that he doesn't need another contract until he's 34 and he's seen the end of his career up close and personal probably has something to do with his attitude. He's got no reason to have ego right now. He's probably just happy if he can play out his contract in a contributing role.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Out with an upper body but not concussed, anyone know when it happened? I haven't been watching the last games with that much focus...

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Out with an upper body but not concussed, anyone know when it happened? I haven't been watching the last games with that much focus...
On 2/1 Ralph Krueger said, "I don't have an exact time period, but we don't expect him back here for a while. I'd say it's more in the weeks category. We'll probably confirm that later … but I just don't expect him here in the near future but also not the very long future, so it's between that. It's below the neck and above the waist."

To be precise, Okposo will return in the mid-future from his rib, shoulder, chest, abdominal muscle, or back injury.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Well, even with that knee he was more useful than Vesey, Frolik and Sheary.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
it’s pretty common for players to wait for the season to be officially over to get surgery done. My guess it was a knee issue he could play through

And with COVID-19 putting all elective surgeries on hold for a long time, that could explain the timing of this.

It's not like the procedure would have been classified as life threatening.

MeenOlViks

May 25, 2015
it’s pretty common for players to wait for the season to be officially over to get surgery done. My guess it was a knee issue he could play through
True but, how much more can this guy take??? hang it up son!

MeenOlViks

May 25, 2015
If it is a six week recovery, it likely was a minor outpatient surgery and nothing career threatening.

Nice try though...

:huh: 4 concussions in less than 3 years. Spent quite a bit of time in ICU due to the med reaction and head trauma. Dudes got a wife and kids. Take the money and run Kyle.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
:huh: 4 concussions in less than 3 years. Spent quite a bit of time in ICU due to the med reaction and head trauma. Dudes got a wife and kids. Take the money and run Kyle.

The concussion thing is a completely different conversation.

And that is completely up to Kyle and his family.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Okposo actually had an okayish type of year. Not something I want to put any more of a positive spin on a guy who is making 6M per season, but he at least showed something. He also puts all his effort in. I still don't like the signing, but he at least tried this season.

MeenOlViks

May 25, 2015
The concussion thing is a completely different conversation.

And that is completely up to Kyle and his family.
Oh contraire James Robert! Kyle's decision to retire should be completely left up to the consensus of random HF board posters.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Okposo is fighting for "worst contract in the league", it's pretty much buyout proof as well. Our best option is probably to retain 50% and hope someone thinks he's worth it.
Couldn’t the Sabres simply LTIR Kyle based on concussion history? Wondering what would show on a full Physical and scan. I personally believe he never should have come back from his last - his 5th? He has not been the same player since his near death experience.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Couldn’t the Sabres simply LTIR Kyle based on concussion history? Wondering what would show on a full Physical and scan. I personally believe he never should have come back from his last - his 5th? He has not been the same player since his near death experience.
It's hard to prove the brain damage.

He will probably play out the contract if he avoids more injuries to the head or end up a depressed vegetable like Franzen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad