Player Discussion Kyle Okposo - Farewell Okie

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

Dr. K Forever!!!
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Do you expect the Sabres to goon it up after one of our 3rd line grinders got rocked in a completely clean and fair fight? Both guys dropped the gloves and were willing participants in the fight. The consequences of that fight are entirely on Okposo.
You realize that he is one of our alternate captains and not just some ham n' egger right. And when this happened EVERYONE in the arena pretty much knew that was the end of his career. He will never play another second of hockey ever again. And we did nothing in response. What was the word someone used to describe this team... "Soft"?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
And then they did jack **** afterwards except roll over and die, and with a mentality like that no wonder this team pulled off one of the most spectacular and embarrasing collapses in the history of the sport to help us get that playoff drought to double digits (which we will reach in 2021) and make NHL history as the biggest laughingstock of an organization in league history.

Is your ego wrapped up in this? So many of your posts come off as intensely personal.

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
You realize that he is one of our alternate captains and not just some ham n' egger right. And when this happened EVERYONE in the arena pretty much knew that was the end of his career. He will never play another second of hockey ever again. And we did nothing in response. What was the word someone used to describe this team... "Soft"?

Yes, he's an alternate captain. A guy that's supposed to lead by example. It's not a very good example to play the game of a 3rd line grinder and get destroyed in a fair fight after a borderline hit.

This was a road game @ NJ if you don't remember. I'd be very much surprised if more than a handful of Devils fans were aware of KO's concussion history, or thought that was the end of his career. For that matter, we don't know if it's the end of his career. He might only miss a few games like his last concussion.

There's a difference between being "soft" and being "stupid". Going after any of the NJD after Okposo got destroyed, IN A FAIR FIGHT, would fall into the "stupid" category.

This would be an entirely different situation if it was an enforcer challenging a star player, if there was a cheap shot, or if Okposo didn't agree to the fight.

sabremike

Dr. K Forever!!!
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Is your ego wrapped up in this? So many of your posts come off as intensely personal.
You are aware who my second favorite team is and that I've been a season ticket holder for them for 10 years right? Kyle Okposo is one of my absolute favorite players of all time and even more beloved down here for being one of the greatest people in Islanders history. Seeing that happen to him made me so sick and angry and I make no apologies whatsoever for feeling that way.

Reactions: GrierIsGod123

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
What did the big bad bruins do for Marc Savard? Were they soft? Sometimes there's just not an opportunity to take off your skate and try to stab a guy with it.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Yes, he's an alternate captain. A guy that's supposed to lead by example. It's not a very good example to play the game of a 3rd line grinder and get destroyed in a fair fight after a borderline hit.

This was a road game @ NJ if you don't remember. I'd be very much surprised if more than a handful of Devils fans were aware of KO's concussion history, or thought that was the end of his career. For that matter, we don't know if it's the end of his career. He might only miss a few games like his last concussion.

There's a difference between being "soft" and being "stupid". Going after any of the NJD after Okposo got destroyed, IN A FAIR FIGHT, would fall into the "stupid" category.

This would be an entirely different situation if it was an enforcer challenging a star player, if there was a cheap shot, or if Okposo didn't agree to the fight.

Getting beat in a fair fight has nothing to do with bad or good leadership.

sabremike

Dr. K Forever!!!
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Uh, the game was at home vs the rags *facepalm*

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I thought players on LTIR do not count against the cap during the season?
No, they do count against the cap during the season. If by counting that LTIR salary against the cap, the team does not exceed the cap, then no additional salary spending is permitted above the cap. However, once the cap is reached, the team with the player on LTIR can then exceed the cap by an amount up to the cap plus the LTIR hit. As @dotcommunism noted, the LTIR cap rules prevents a team banking "excessive" cap space during the season to enable profligate spending on acquisitions near the trade deadline.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
No, they do count against the cap during the season. If by counting that LTIR salary against the cap, the team does not exceed the cap, then no additional salary spending is permitted above the cap. However, once the cap is reached, the team with the player on LTIR can then exceed the cap by an amount up to the cap plus the LTIR hit. As @dotcommunism noted, the LTIR cap rules prevents a team banking "excessive" cap space during the season to enable profligate spending on acquisitions near the trade deadline.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Bert's fight with Maloney where he broke Dan's nose and then people didn't **** with him much after that.
Punch Imlach, the Sabres general manager and coach hasn't any misgivings about Perreault in the rough-and-tumble league. "He can handle himself with any of them" Imlach said. "Look they always take runs at rookies and always will, particularly against a kid as talented as Perreault." "If a kid doesn't take stand and fight they'll run him right out of the league. And you can bet nobody is going to run Perreault out."
NHL Fights from Dec 9, 1970 Buffalo-Chicago

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wonder if he wound up with a vision issue after his concussion/reaction problem. His glasses are Coke bottle bottoms now and I don't remember them being that thick before.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I wonder if he wound up with a vision issue after his concussion/reaction problem. His glasses are Coke bottle bottoms now and I don't remember them being that thick before.

He will be the first legally blind player to play in the NHL. Nothing will put that man on LTIR.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
A buddy of mine practice pretty competitive jujitsu and ended up with a detached retina from a match. Had to give it up as the doctors warned that going forward lesser impacts could cause a recurrence. It was a tough road to recovery, but he got his vision back to acceptable levels. I guess money guides people to make tougher decisions, but that type of injury isn't something to mess around with. Add concussions to that, I'd think Kyle is either stubborn, or getting back advise.

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY

My brother had a few concussions and had to wear his glasses more to see/avoid migraines as much as you're able. Okposo obviously wants to still play and there's probably a question we'll never get the answer to of whether this injury history affects his play at all or if he was always going to crater like this. We will never know and honestly for him I want him to decide based on safety and not ego and for the club if he's going to be bad I'd rather him be smart for everyone then keep going when it's obviously a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->