Player Discussion Kyle Okposo - Farewell Okie

Status
Not open for further replies.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
3rd man in penalty. This isn't that hard to understand. Kyle squared up with the dude on his own, why do other teammates need to jump in at that time?

Because of his history. Okposo should never have to fight.

Just like when Jack instigated a fight a couple of years ago, Kane did his job and jumped in

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
You might be right but to me it doesn't matter. Sam will not be here for his next contract.

Let’s assume your right and they trade him, hopefully for something good.

Here’s the problem, you say it doesn’t matter to you cuz he will be gone.

Simple question, do you think he has more trade value with a long term relatively cheap deal or with no contract, only 2 rfa years to go and a huge contract he will be due?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I was just being a (not so) smart ass......

He's been through a really tough personal medical hardship that will probably affect him later in life (quality of life wise). He came back to play even though it has to be evident even to himself that he's not the player he once was.

I'm guessing that playing hockey is all he knows. The Sabres could help do the right thing (they were great by supporting him through his last health crisis) by setting him up in a comfortable community relations position so he can go back to school and gradually transition back into normal daily life.

I believe he has small children. Needs to worry about them having a healthy dad as they grow up.

I’m with you. Completely disregarding the Sabres, the smart move is for him to retire. He’s young enough to start fresh, coaching or business or being just an amazing dad with plenty of money.

In all reality, particularly with how he plays, he probably has already done some long term damage. He will inevitably do more if he keeps playing and gets older with slower reaction time.

I hope he sincerely thinks about retiring this year. He’s had a lot of documented trauma.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
That's all well and good. But if Okposo himself squares to fight, he's going to fight. KO's teammates aren't responsible for his own well-being.
You remember the time Ovie was about to fight someone and a Caps player flew in, pushed him out of the way and took the fight? That's what should've happened here. And if the mentality of your last sentence is shared by our locker room then God help us all.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
With SOME concussions. It is contraindicated with more serious concussions.
Those would include skull fractures, cerebral hemorrhage, subdural hematoma, and sobotkanism (aka brain farts). If it was that serious he'd be in the hospital or they'd use an air ambulance which allows the cabin pressure to be adjusted to sea level.

Reactions: Zman5778

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
You remember the time Ovie was about to fight someone and a Caps player flew in, pushed him out of the way and took the fight? That's what should've happened here. And if the mentality of your last sentence is shared by our locker room then God help us all.

There's a big difference between "Defending/protecting a star player" and "This guy has concussions and shouldn't fight".

Using the second logic, shouldn't Kaleta's teammates have jumped in and saved him from fights? I mean, Kaleta had how many concussions?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
There's a big difference between "Defending/protecting a star player" and "This guy has concussions and shouldn't fight".

Using the second logic, shouldn't Kaleta's teammates have jumped in and saved him from fights? I mean, Kaleta had how many concussions?
Did Kaleta almost die and basically have a complete mental breakdown with numerous psychotic episodes? If he was still with the Isles I would bet any amount of money in the world someone like Matt Martin would've jumped in immediately, and if nobody could get there in time DeAngelo would've got his ass handed to him the second he stepped back on the ice. Nobody stepping in was real bad, no response later was a total disgrace and says a lot about this team.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Wish him the best and hope he’s alrigut, but hope he retires... that cap saving and roster spot would be really beneficial.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Did Kaleta almost die and basically have a complete mental breakdown with numerous psychotic episodes? If he was still with the Isles I would bet any amount of money in the world someone like Matt Martin would've jumped in immediately, and if nobody could get there in time DeAngelo would've got his ass handed to him the second he stepped back on the ice. Nobody stepping in was real bad, no response later was a total disgrace and says a lot about this team.

Someone like Matt Martin? sure, if he was on the ice with him. Leaving the bench is a 10 game suspension. Trying to be angry over a teammate not pushing KO out the way to fight in his stead is insane. No one told him to drop the gloves. He got hurt and it happened. For everyone's sake he is best off retiring.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Someone like Matt Martin? sure, if he was on the ice with him. Leaving the bench is a 10 game suspension. Trying to be angry over a teammate not pushing KO out the way to fight in his stead is insane. No one told him to drop the gloves. He got hurt and it happened. For everyone's sake he is best off retiring.
Not everyone's. He is best served collecting the remaining 20 million on LTIR.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
So if he spends each of the next 4 seasons on LTIR

What are the cap implications?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
And then they did jack shit afterwards except roll over and die, and with a mentality like that no wonder this team pulled off one of the most spectacular and embarrasing collapses in the history of the sport to help us get that playoff drought to double digits (which we will reach in 2021) and make NHL history as the biggest laughingstock of an organization in league history.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
So if he spends each of the next 4 seasons on LTIR

What are the cap implications?
When the season starts we can use his cap as long as we replace him with a player that has the same cap hit or larger. Since you can go over the cap with 10% during the offseason I think we're in the clear. Might be wrong on this though since I'm not a cap expert.

Reactions: Snippit

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
And then they did jack **** afterwards except roll over and die, and with a mentality like that no wonder this team pulled off one of the most spectacular and embarrasing collapses in the history of the sport to help us get that playoff drought to double digits (which we will reach in 2021) and make NHL history as the biggest laughingstock of an organization in league history.

Do you expect the Sabres to goon it up after one of our 3rd line grinders got rocked in a completely clean and fair fight? Both guys dropped the gloves and were willing participants in the fight. The consequences of that fight are entirely on Okposo.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Doesn't count against cap during season. Counts against cap during off-season, so counts against the "10% over" during off-season feature.
He would count against the cap, but the team could exceed the cap by up to his cap hit. It may seem like a minor distinction but it's important when it comes to banking cap space, which matters for deadline acquisitions.

Reactions: vcv

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
He would count against the cap, but the team could exceed the cap by up to his cap hit. It may seem like a minor distinction but it's important when it comes to banking cap space, which matters for deadline acquisitions.
I thought players on LTIR do not count against the cap during the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad