Player Discussion Kyle Okposo - Farewell Okie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Member 308457

I think it's safe to say that the Kyle Okposo School of Fighting will never be a big thing.

Reactions: Willgamesh

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Any kind of concussion has got to be amplified with Kyle due to his history. At this point in his life, is it even worth it anymore?

I wouldn't think so.....but I'm not a professional athlete who lives/loves what he does. I just hope he's getting good, sound medical advice and is making the best decision for his long-term health.

If that means he retires at the end of the season (or now), so be it.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I think the fight started in an awkward way that didn't have really any time for teammates to jump-in and change the course of. Okposo accepted and threw down rather quick.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
He should retire for medical reasons. What happens if a player who's had multiple concussions decides to retire as far as his contract and the salary cap goes? It's scientific fact that once concussed the probability for future concussions increases. But you have many players who've had more than one concussion keep playing. So can the team deny a player the money left on his contract? Can the league deny a team putting a player like Okposo on LTIR rather than him retiring? And then you have insurance companies, i'm guessing they would take the position that Okposo is not permanently disabled and it's his choice to retire so they won't pay out the rest of his contract.

jd1970

Feb 23, 2007
Downtown Buffalo
where were his teammates to step in?

That is the inexcusable part. Even "hit him with your purse Smehlik" would step in in an instance like that.

Anyone softer than Smehlik needs to be off the team, yesterday
I totally agree.
I remember in the olden days, the Flyers Behn Wilson, who was a dangerous fighter, went after one of our skill players, and Danny Gare gave him a vicious two hander right across the neck .
These Sabres are soft.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
He should retire for medical reasons. What happens if a player who's had multiple concussions decides to retire as far as his contract and the salary cap goes? It's scientific fact that once concussed the probability for future concussions increases. But you have many players who've had more than one concussion keep playing. So can the team deny a player the money left on his contract? Can the league deny a team putting a player like Okposo on LTIR rather than him retiring? And then you have insurance companies, i'm guessing they would take the position that Okposo is not permanently disabled and it's his choice to retire so they won't pay out the rest of his contract.
Talk about putting the cart before the horse sheesh.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

As far as retiring is concerned, concussions aren't treated any differently than anything else. I think the options are either Okposo straight-up retires, but I think that forfeits the rest of his salary (but gets him off the books entirely). The other option is quasi-retirement (like Hossa). Take a physical every year, fail it......get placed on LTIR from Day 1. Only way that really hoses us is that it'd cut into our 10% overage during the summer, but that's not really a concern at this point...........and likely won't be for the remainder of his contract.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
I totally agree.
I remember in the olden days, the Flyers Behn Wilson, who was a dangerous fighter, went after one of our skill players, and Danny Gare gave him a vicious two hander right across the neck .
These Sabres are soft.
3rd man in penalty. This isn't that hard to understand. Kyle squared up with the dude on his own, why do other teammates need to jump in at that time?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I despise that phoney lying snake Bedsheet Boy but if the next time the Leafs face the rags he grabs that miserable shit DeAngelo by his neck and beats 7 shades of crap out of him I think I would completely forgive him (note: Kyle is probably his best friend in the whole world).

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
Kyle is very much a family guy. After the hospital incident i felt he realized what was really important for him in life. I'm convinced he is considering the option of retirement right now.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
I think the fight started in an awkward way that didn't have really any time for teammates to jump-in and change the course of. Okposo accepted and threw down rather quick.
I missed the game. Did anyone go after DeScumbagalo later in the period?

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I honestly don't know what I'd do with $20 million sitting on the table. Probably exactly what he's going to do, which is recover and work his way back to health, then play as safe as a game as possible.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I totally agree.
These Sabres are soft.

Bert's fight with Maloney where he broke Dan's nose and then people didn't f*** with him much after that.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
3rd man in penalty. This isn't that hard to understand. Kyle squared up with the dude on his own, why do other teammates need to jump in at that time?
3rd man in rule doesn't preclude a Sabre from getting between the two of them and restraining Okposo.

If someone had done that literally nobody with an IQ higher than a head of lettuce would've complained.
exactly

Reactions: sabremike
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad