Player Discussion Kyle Okposo - Farewell Okie

Status
Not open for further replies.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
EDIT: The nice thing is, Okposo is the only contract on the team right now that scares me. Pominville, Sobotka, Bogosian, Scandella, Sheary, Beaulieu, Hunwick are all the bigger $$ guys (not counting Eichel/Risto since they're worth the money IMO)... but they're ALL gone in a year or two tops. There's going to be a ton of turnover and cap opening up in the next few years.

It's on Botts to turn those open roster spots and freed up cap space into something good... which I know people don't trust him to do at this point... but I suddenly got a lot more optimistic about our overall situation
Nearly all the contracts you’re waiting for to roll off the cap are guys Botts has traded for. So why should I trust him to do the right thing going forward?

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Nearly all the contracts you’re waiting for to roll off the cap are guys Botts has traded for. So why should I trust him to do the right thing going forward?
Uh, I didn't say you should. I even acknowledged the lack of trust in Botts and didn't necessarily condemn it. Just saying whether it's by design or not, we're in a surprisingly good spot cap-wise.

However, given Botts emphasis on Rochester, development, his interest in acquiring futures, and general lack of interest in giving up high draft picks... he probably doesn't view the future of this team being built on placeholders on term-friendly deals he acquired as cap dumps in bigger moves (Sobotka, Pominville, Hunwick). And those particular players probably weren't intended to be brought in as a means of impressing anyone.

Sheary is still good NHL depth despite his streaky-ness (maybe re-sign him a little cheaper if possible).

Scandella fell off a cliff for some inexplicable reason, he was fine up until this year so I see no reason to hound Botts about him (though it's good he's gone soon if this is how he's going to play).

Beaulieu was an obvious reclamation project that even he probably would say could've gone either way and the fans more or less agreed on this when he was acquired (hopefully we get something for him this TDL).

Botts talent evaluation ability IMO, will live or die on how these players he's drafting turn out and moves to get players like Pilut and Thompson. The entirety of which the jury is still out on and will be for a while. I know, I know... we need answers right this second and it's "convenient" that we might have to wait more than a year or two to execute Botts for his transgressions... but they are the players that are going to stabilize Rochester, and they're the players that are going to be pushing and supporting our top guys for years to come. Way more important than anyone Botts has acquired recently not named Skinner, Pilut or Thompson.

Last edited:

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
A very ****ty thing to say.
pS9cy5E.jpg

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005

Because he didn’t acquire any that would interfere with the important RFA contracts and managed the timeline craftily.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Because he didn’t acquire any that would interfere with the important RFA contracts and managed the timeline craftily.
Seems to have interfered with Reinhart’s contract. That bridge is gonna bite us in the ass.

Reactions: sabremike

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
It will be. And based by the rest of the league, if he repeats this season, let’s say he finishes with 20 goals and 70 points, regardless of rfa status he will get close to 8 a year.

But thank god we got him at 3 and change now and next year, when the cap space is pointless.
Why would you give Reinhart a big contract last year when he still hasn't proven himself. I love people who judge from hindsight.

How can you lose that way...

Reactions: Heretic

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Why would you give Reinhart a big contract last year when he still hasn't proven himself. I love people who judge from hindsight.

How can you lose that way...

Please. I said the exact same thing then. And I’m saying the same thing now.

Hell even if he just stayed at a 50-60 point guy he already had shown on his elc, with a terrible team, he was guaranteed a Nylander style 7 million a year. What were the odds that after getting Dahlin and what one would expect would be an improving team, that Reinhart would regress?

And all for the benefit of a cheap deal for two years where clearly management was not trying to win, well at least in year one.

Let me ask you, what number do you realistically think Reinhart asked for on a long term deal. I’d be curious to know what you think the cap would be for him where it would be an anchor for us. With an elc player with two twenty goal seasons, 42-50 points and a ppg stretch of half the year on a last place team.

7-8 million? More than what nylander got as a 60 point winger?

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I wonder if there would be backlash if he decided to retire for health reasons.

Wouldn't be a good look escaping from his and berglunds contracts for similar reasons.

Don't think it would happen, and I hope his current status isn't bad, but just crossed my mind

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co

Wouldn't be a good look escaping from his and berglunds contracts for similar reasons.

Don't think it would happen, and I hope his current status isn't bad, but just crossed my mind

Probably has a hefty mortgage that he needs to pay.........

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

You would pretty much have to be the most awful person in the world to object to Kyle going on LTIR. If he suffered another concussion it would almost be criminal to ever let him another minute in the NHL ever again. I mean just read that Athletic article.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
As I said in the main bird thread, him being allowed to fight at all is downtight horrible. I can’t believe the NHL hasn’t implemented some sort of “no fighting” list yet. Players like him should just be perma banned from fighting.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
My heart goes out to Kyle, but why the hell fight when you have concussion and eye issues. Brave/stupid thing to do. Hope he is alright

Reactions: Awebz

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
My heart goes out to Kyle, but why the hell fight when you have concussion and eye issues. Brave/stupid thing to do. Hope he is alright

Adrenaline is one hell of a drug. I'm sure if you asked him before the game, he would have told you with certainty that he wouldn't be getting near a fight that night.

Reactions: Samsonite23

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
It will be. And based by the rest of the league, if he repeats this season, let’s say he finishes with 20 goals and 70 points, regardless of rfa status he will get close to 8 a year.

But thank god we got him at 3 and change now and next year, when the cap space is pointless.

You might be right but to me it doesn't matter. Sam will not be here for his next contract.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I sure hope he managed to take care of any mortgage with the 9 million post tax in the last three years.

I was just being a (not so) smart ass......

He's been through a really tough personal medical hardship that will probably affect him later in life (quality of life wise). He came back to play even though it has to be evident even to himself that he's not the player he once was.

I'm guessing that playing hockey is all he knows. The Sabres could help do the right thing (they were great by supporting him through his last health crisis) by setting him up in a comfortable community relations position so he can go back to school and gradually transition back into normal daily life.

I believe he has small children. Needs to worry about them having a healthy dad as they grow up.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
where were his teammates to step in?

That is the inexcusable part. Even "hit him with your purse Smehlik" would step in in an instance like that.

Anyone softer than Smehlik needs to be off the team, yesterday

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
where were his teammates to step in?

That is the inexcusable part. Even "hit him with your purse Smehlik" would step in in an instance like that.

Anyone softer than Smehlik needs to be off the team, yesterday

It was the 4th line + McCabe too...any one of them could've stepped in and not been out of place.

I remember last season Reinhart got blasted and Eichel went to fight the guy, Kane jumped in and took Eichels fight...that should've happened here.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Adrenaline is one hell of a drug. I'm sure if you asked him before the game, he would have told you with certainty that he wouldn't be getting near a fight that night.

Weird time for adrenaline to kick in.. he'd just hit a guy with a kinda meh hit, then DeAngelo challenged him in a way that gets turned down across the NHL all the time. There was no need to fight. I don't believe it was adrenaline, I just think he wanted to kinda prove himself in some way.

I don't blame teammates for not jumping in- by the time it turns into a fight everyone is away from it already, there's no time to jump in for him never mind processing who it is fighting and then having the time to act.

I hope Kyle's alright, I've always liked him as a player. But that was a stupid f***ing thing for him to do.

My take= maybe he knew Deangelo's history, figured it was a smaller dude looking to scrap. He knows he isn't earning his contract but he does work hard.. I feel like he's a guy who might be bothered by having fans not like him. He's also been feeling his game a bit more recently, he's healthy, and figures f*** it, here's a chance to make the fans like me a bit more. Give people around the league a reason to remember me again. Still got it.

..and then he gets wrecked. Like, that's just how I could understand the logic playing out.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I really hope Kyle hangs em up or goes on LTIR. Don't want to see him suffering CTE at 50 after everything he's been through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad