Player Discussion Kyle Okposo - Farewell Okie

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
What are the cap implications of buying him out?

Also... why does Housley give bums like Bogo and him an “A”!? I don’t care if their vets and prepare the right way. They suck as hockey players. It’s not ok to suck.

BOGO isn't a bum, he's a leader on this team.

Reactions: Mitts888

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Its unreal that he was signed while Moulson was already here. One would be excusable. How the hell do you make the exact same mistake twice?
In fairness, Moulson was already on the wrong side of 30 when we inked him to that deal. It was foreseeable stupid. It was less foreseeable that Okposo, who still has a couple under seasons left, would fall off a cliff so quickly. All that said, yup. The big UFA contract for a winger almost always backfires.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Even defending a teammate, while a noble cause, is not something Okposo should be doing. With his prior head injuries, that should never be his job. At this point, he's not just risking his immediate well-being but his long-term health.

It'd still be a bad idea, but I'd at least understand the motivation/emotion a bit more. This.. just seems like the most ill-conceived fight ever. Hope the dude is ok, I've always liked him as a player and no one should have to go through concussion issues- but jeez, don't make it worse for yourself, either.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
In fairness, Moulson was already on the wrong side of 30 when we inked him to that deal. It was foreseeable stupid. It was less foreseeable that Okposo, who still has a couple under seasons left, would fall off a cliff so quickly. All that said, yup. The big UFA contract for a winger almost always backfires.
*whispers* maybe they should trade Skinner?

Reactions: wunderpanda

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I guess that's why we are in this position we are in with this leadership..very disappointed in Bogo in last month

Really? We are in the position because we don't have depth. It's got nothing to do with leadership. Leadership might be one of the most overrated things the the NHL in terms making the playoffs.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Yeah, Skinner is a genuine elite player, unlike most of the wingers that bust. I think I’m on board with signing him, especially since we really need to be treating Dahlins ELC as a window. But I’d also do so knowing very well the last couple years of the deal will probably be no good.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Really? We are in the position because we don't have depth. It's got nothing to do with leadership. Leadership might be one of the most overrated things the the NHL in terms making the playoffs.
No we are in this position because 1 are veterans suck ànd 2 we have a GM who did NOTHING when this team started spiralling

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Ok, sure, but Husko’s point is, every big winger signing blows up within a couple of years. Tell me why Skinner’s deal won’t blow up within 3 years?

Lets see

Moulson and Okposo were trash skaters in their prime. Skinner is elite. Okposo was 28 and a half to start his first season here and Moulson 30. Skinner is 26 until May. He has THREE seasons left before he turns 30.

Oh and Skinner>>>Moulson or Okposo in primes.

Comparing Skinner to those bums is a slap in the face to an elite goal scorer.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Are we comparing Moulson who just sucked to suicidal brain damaged from concussion Okposo?

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
How much more brain damage can he reasonably take? The brain can recover from a lot but seriously, Franzen can’t even play with his kids.
LTIR must be an option and he should take it. He has two kids...

Edit: Apparently didn’t get one in the fight but still 4 or 5 in a little over two years now, right?

coastal

Jun 22, 2016
I guess that's why we are in this position we are in with this leadership..very disappointed in Bogo in last month
Bogo absolutely sucks... when is the last time he’s put a body on someone?

He passively mirrors guys and then looks shocked when the puck is somehow in the back of the net.

If Bogo is a leader on this team, therein lies the problem.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Yeah, Skinner is a genuine elite player, unlike most of the wingers that bust. I think I’m on board with signing him, especially since we really need to be treating Dahlins ELC as a window. But I’d also do so knowing very well the last couple years of the deal will probably be no good.
Are the Sabres in any Cap trouble? Murray signed and took on some big contracts I thought. Ristolainen, Moulson, Okposo, Bogosian are names that I can think of. Hopefully Skinner fits in.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Are the Sabres in any Cap trouble? Murray signed and took on some big contracts I thought. Ristolainen, Moulson, Okposo, Bogosian are names that I can think of. Hopefully Skinner fits in.

Moulson, Pominville both roll off so that's 10.6 million right there.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
It's less concerning now... but more concerning in a few years when Dahlin, Reinhart, maybe Mitts depending on how he develops, need 2nd and 3rd contacts.

Of course a lot of things could happen to make that situation better (moving longer term albatrosses like Okposo) or worse (more bad overpriced pickups) regardless of whatever deal Skinner might get.

EDIT: The nice thing is, Okposo is the only contract on the team right now that scares me. Pominville, Sobotka, Bogosian, Scandella, Sheary, Beaulieu, Hunwick are all the bigger $$ guys (not counting Eichel/Risto since they're worth the money IMO)... but they're ALL gone in a year or two tops. There's going to be a ton of turnover and cap opening up in the next few years.

It's on Botts to turn those open roster spots and freed up cap space into something good... which I know people don't trust him to do at this point... but I suddenly got a lot more optimistic about our overall situation. :nod: A lot of these Botts vet pickups may have been swings and misses talent/productivity-wise, but damn if it isn't going to work out pretty smoothly from a cap perspective.

Last edited:

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
It's less concerning now... but more concerning in a few years when Dahlin, Reinhart, maybe Mitts depending on how he develops, need 2nd and 3rd contacts.

Of course a lot of things could happen to make that situation better (moving longer term albatrosses like Okposo) or worse (more bad overpriced pickups) regardless of whatever deal Skinner might get.

EDIT: The nice thing is, Okposo is the only contract on the team right now that scares me. Pominville, Sobotka, Bogosian, Scandella, Sheary, Beaulieu, Hunwick are all the bigger $$ guys (not counting Eichel/Risto since they're worth the money IMO)... but they're ALL gone in a year or two tops. There's going to be a ton of turnover and cap opening up in the next few years.

It's on Botts to turn those open roster spots and freed up cap space into something good... which I know people don't trust him to do at this point... but I suddenly got a lot more optimistic about our overall situation. :nod: A lot of these Botts vet pickups may have been swings and misses talent/productivity-wise, but damn if it isn't going to work out pretty smoothly from a cap perspective.
Don't forget Berglands contract off as well

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
and after a big year, the players could hold out for more money even with a contract, just like in the NFL

Some players. A very small percentage.

You know what also happens in the nfl? 90% of the players get treated like disposable meat.

Trust me, there is no players union in the world that would trade the rights and operating system of the nhl for the nfl.

Not too mention only a dozen or so players could really benefit from the holdout for more money strategy, in comparison to dozens that are way overpaid and would get cut.

Reactions: joshjull
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad