Player Discussion Kyle Okposo - Farewell Okie

Status
Not open for further replies.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Sabres' Okposo is feeling great and ready to get back to what he used to be

Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) - When Kyle Okposo left in April, he said he must demand more from himself and was looking forward to working out in the summer the way he knew he can.

If you remember, last summer Okposo didn’t know if he’d ever play hockey or be normal again after a bout with Altered Mental Status caused by a medication he got for a concussion.

The winger was never really right during the season and he knew it, “I feel good, I worked on a lot of things that I needed to work on and feeling a lot better coming into camp this year than last year, that’s for sure.”
In his career, Okposo averages 21 goals and 56 points over 82 games. Last season, he netted 15 goals and 44 points.

Last season was also very mentally draining on the winger. In the past four months, he didn’t have to worry about if he can be the husband or dad that he wants to be. He didn’t have to worry about if he’d every play hockey again. He said that was a huge load off of him, “It was a big relief to where I could just train the way that I wanted to and do the things that I know make me a successful hockey player. Last summer was a lot about working on my mind and just making sure I could play the game again, where now I know I can play so lets get back to trying to be an elite player.”

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Big boost to the forward lines if Kyle can return to previous form!

Keeping my fingers crossed, for him personally, and for the team...

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
Big boost to the forward lines if Kyle can return to previous form!

Keeping my fingers crossed, for him personally, and for the team...

At least he clearly recognizes that he needs to live up to his contract and reputation. That's a start, which would not always be true of players that are trending down in their careers. That alone makes it more likely (compared to average) that he will be able to recover some of his past prowess.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
I remember when we signed him and I did a bunch of reading on the guy one of the biggest things that stuck out to me was a lifetime pattern of intense work ethic and internal drive to be better. At age 30 and with the medical issues I don't know how high his ceiling is, but I do believe he will work his hardest to get there.

Reactions: Dingo44

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Islander fan, here in peace. KO is a great guy, I hope he is able to put his physical problems behind him and help you guys make the playoffs.
Pajama Boy, on the other hand ...

He looks like he’s returned to a better state than pre-condition. It’s still unclear if “better” amounts to a 6 million dollar hockey player.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Botts must be looking over KO's 15 team NTC these days.
Okposo is fighting for "worst contract in the league", it's pretty much buyout proof as well. Our best option is probably to retain 50% and hope someone thinks he's worth it.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Yup, the extra years are too many to risk, even if he recovers this year.

There’s a real chance he is the 3rw on the team this year, let alone next as more prospects arrive.

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Do you think we can get Seattle to pick him in the expansion draft if we add? They have to get to the cap floor plus he would be a good vet to have in the locker room. There would only be 3 years left on his contract.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Maybe Seattle would take Okposo? he has a NTC but I think Seattle is only kept away from players with NMC's.

I may be wrong about that

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I can't see Seattle taking him unless the Sabres offer up a first and that might not be enough.

The Sabres may have to hope for a compliance buyout in the next CBA.

You might be right. Columbus gave up a 2017 1st and 2019 2nd to Vegas for the contract of David Clarkson. Clarkson is basically a 3-year $5.25M boat anchor wrapped up in hockey bag. Okposo might have more value so it might only cost a 2nd, but it could cost a 1st.

Toronto was able to trade Phaneuf so I guess anything is possible.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Okposo is fighting for "worst contract in the league", it's pretty much buyout proof as well. Our best option is probably to retain 50% and hope someone thinks he's worth it.
Eh, his contract sucks but it's not as bad as some of the other ones that were signed that day (Ladd, Lucic, etc). He's still a top 6 player for now, with IMO more of a chance to regain some form than those other guys.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Eh, his contract sucks but it's not as bad as some of the other ones that were signed that day (Ladd, Lucic, etc). He's still a top 6 player for now, with IMO more of a chance to regain some form than those other guys.
No he isn’t. He is at best a third line player. He does not have the wheels to play with or against top 6 talent. And I like him personally, but he will be an anchor to any top 6 and be a huge obstacle to any youngin making the leap from Rochester. Add Pommers and we might be a contender in the Hughes sweepstakes.

Reactions: GellMann

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
No he isn’t. He is at best a third line player. He does not have the wheels to play with or against top 6 talent. And I like him personally, but he will be an anchor to any top 6 and be a huge obstacle to any youngin making the leap from Rochester. Add Pommers and we might be a contender in the Hughes sweepstakes.
After that game it's hard to disagree

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I feel bad for him because he seems like a great guy, and obviously he's gone through some tough stuff, but the NHL isn't a charity. He just doesn't have it anymore.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
The best place for Kyle on this current team, IMO, is my ideal low-event line.
xxx (probably Sheary)-Jack-xxx figure out these wingers, as Jack is key to this season up front
Skinner - Reinhart/someone/ - Reinhart/someone
Girgensons - Berglund - KO -> line that drags all events for both sides back. Doing this means you don't have shot drags dispersed throughout the lineup, you don't have any of the notoriously-bad-at-passing-to-teammates-cleanly players spread out, they're all together, and furthermore, they're all guys whose goals will come relatively independent of who they are playing with.

Mitts/Thompson/Nylander/Rodrigues/Asplund/Smith/maybe Pommers as a vet presence, whoever of these kiddos doesn't fill in those xxx's, as a sheltered line that plays like they did last night - overmatched at first, deciding they don't give a sh*t, and then skating their asses off surprising us all.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The problem with Okposo's current and likely now normal form, aside from the long-term anchor deal, is that we also have slow, dead-ass Pominville and Berglund locked into spots. That is a whole line. Pominville should've been bought out.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Back from the abyss: Kyle Okposo opens up about the darkest...

By Tim Graham - The Athletic

BUFFALO, N.Y. — In a dimly lit room off a sobering hospital corridor, Danielle Okposo curled herself in a chair every day and wearily waited for her husband to call out.

Your rings! Your rings!

She would reach out and instantly settle him.

Kyle Okposo couldn’t form full sentences. He was incoherent, confused, paranoid. He strained to recognize loved ones. He thought staffers around his bedside were there to hurt him.

Danielle was terrified. Doctors couldn’t provide answers.

Just over 18 months ago, Kyle suffered a concussion in a Buffalo Sabres workout, but the hit felt so ordinary he wouldn’t be diagnosed for days.

Reactions: Dingo44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad