Kyle Okposo

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
It seems that Okposo is now considered in the top 8 for the draft and could very well be a Yote. I've heard the strong, two way power forward thoughts and even the early Iginla comparisons. Any info from anyone who has personally seen him play would be appreciated.

My two questions are, he has played in the USHL. How would he have faired against major junior or Division 1 college players?

And, he is listed at 6'0" and 190 lbs. quite small for a true power forward. Comments?

Pipeandin

Dec 7, 2004
The kid is an absoloute horse. No way is he 190 lbs. he is forsure about 6' 1" 205 to 210 lbs. Okposo just runs over people. His skating is a tremendous aspect of his also, very powerful. His shot is probably NHL caliber to go along with being accurate. The USHL is a a great league, he would have just as well in Major Junior or College Hockey, the kid just excels wherever he is. I think he will be a top 5 pick and I think he may be the best power forward in the draft. Him and Stall are very close in my opinion but I give Okposo the edge.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Okposo

CSS Final Rankings has him at 6'0" 195 and ranks him #11 overall for North Americans. From all indications, he'll go higher in the draft.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I don't see the iginla comparision. IMO he's going to be a shane doan. Very good two way player, but not quite the goal scorer iginla is.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Pipeandin said:
The kid is an absoloute horse. No way is he 190 lbs. he is forsure about 6' 1" 205 to 210 lbs. Okposo just runs over people. His skating is a tremendous aspect of his also, very powerful. His shot is probably NHL caliber to go along with being accurate. The USHL is a a great league, he would have just as well in Major Junior or College Hockey, the kid just excels wherever he is. I think he will be a top 5 pick and I think he may be the best power forward in the draft. Him and Stall are very close in my opinion but I give Okposo the edge.

I don't think he will go in the top 5...I say more between 7 and 10

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
yea the iginla comparisons are mainly bc they both have nigerian fathers and caucasian north american mothers. my brother played against him and was shocked that he was listed that small in his vitals. he said he looks and plays closer to 6-1, 210-215. he said he just a beast, and is strong as an ox, and a pretty good finisher on top of all that. ive heard alot of brenden morrow comparisons, but when morrow was in junios, his mass was due to baby fat that he always struggled with. i hear okposo is a stronger, bigger, more physically fit version of morrow with more scoring ability. hence the much higher ranking in each draft year.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
off the topic, but how loaded could the US national junior team be next year. they have some very talented 87s and 88s, and maybe one or two 89s that would have had a shot any other year. unlikely 89s make this team though, the defense will be tough to pick, i counted at least 20 kids that would have a legitimate shot.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
orangeandblack said:
off the topic, but how loaded could the US national junior team be next year. they have some very talented 87s and 88s, and maybe one or two 89s that would have had a shot any other year. unlikely 89s make this team though, the defense will be tough to pick, i counted at least 20 kids that would have a legitimate shot.

I guess that it will be the same kind of team as the last canadian dream team...not as good, but for the US, it will be the same kind of team...

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
For the last two years Okposo has been described as a man playing with boys. Both in the USHL and at Shattucks. He has superior strength for his age. And is not affraid to go into a corner and pound a guy.

He is listed small for a power forward. But wasn't Deadmarsh listed at like 6 feet and 195 too? He did just fine. Picture that with more skill.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Freaky Habs Fan said:
I guess that it will be the same kind of team as the last canadian dream team...not as good, but for the US, it will be the same kind of team...

yea, we may have to wait another 10 or 20 years to see a team as loaded as that canadian team. usa looks like the favorite now, but they said that last year, im not setting the bar too high, bc theyve been known to have some disappointments in certain areas in the past.

Kevin Wey

Feb 28, 2002
Des Moines
Visit site
Covering the AHL and USHL for Hockey's Future from my base in Des Moines, I got to see Okposo play a lot.

In the USHL this year, Okposo was Iginla-like. When I interviewed Okposo for the Q and A for HF, he was in his Under Armour with his bottoms still on after the game. His upper body is quite developed. If he's at 195, it's ALL muscle. I've talked with Chad Morin of Sioux City under the same circumstances, and Morin is listed at 205. I don't see how Morin is bigger than Okposo, although Morin is very well built himself. Okposo definitely has a lot of muscle, which he uses very well along the boards. Okposo almost always emerges from along the boards or in the corners with the puck by using his size, intelligence, and stickhandling. There were so many times this year when I wondered how the hell he gained control of the puck. He made a lot of the other USHLers look foolish.

His stickhandling and shot are pretty impressive. He's very dangerous in close, but he also has a hard enough shot to be dangerous from the perimeter. His speed was good at the USHL level, but it's not like his teammate Trevor Lewis. I would say that Okposo will need more speed and acceleration to be as successful as a pro.

Okposo is not quite as physical as Iginla. Okposo can lay out hits, but he's much more of a scorer. He does have good hockey sense and is fairly responsible defensively, but I would say that Lewis is the better player defensively, but Lewis has one more year of USHL hockey on him, and the USHL is a good league. A lot of top Minnesota high school players come to the USHL and are little more than average players. Okposo is actually more physical in maintaining control of the puck than he is getting the puck, in my opinion. He's no Ben Van Lare or Donnie Hallmark, comparing him to fellow Des Moines Buccaneers.

There were some USHLers who could handle Okposo this year though. Nick Schaus of Omaha, the USHL Defenseman of the Year, can play any which way you want, and he used his experience against Okposo. (Not all of his Lancer teammates had success, but one-on-one, Schaus could handle anyone in the USHL.) Steven Kampfer of Sioux City did a good job skating with Okposo, which really impressed me. Chicago Steel forward Randy Guzior knew how to get under Okposo's skin. Guzior was an underrated physical forward this year who could consistently get Okposo off his game. As Okposo moves up, he'll be battling with more and more players like Guzior.

Given Okposo's age though, he was mighty impressive. Nobody else in the USHL was as much of an offensive highlight reel. Okposo may not have led the USHL in scoring, but he was the most dominant player offensively because of his combination of power and skill. He has good speed, but a little more speed and acceleration will seal the deal.

Whoever gets him has a great prospect who definitely will not need four years of college hockey.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
I'd like okposo too with the wild..cuz its fun to watch a gopher player, go to your home team, like irmen will soon.

But...

there are more then 9 good players in this draft so we are guaranteed a player like a brassard, mueller, tlusty, okposo, little....so I'm not all that worried about it.

He fits the mold of what we need though, gritty guy, hits , goes into corners, gets garbage goals, can skate....

WE got enough perimeter plays/finesse with gaborik/bouchard/osullivan/pouliot/voloshenko. Okposo would compliment the offense perfect

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Chrisd said:
WE got enough perimeter plays/finesse with gaborik/bouchard/osullivan/pouliot/voloshenko. Okposo would compliment the offense perfect

That's what I was thinking too. Minny could use a PP quarterback like Sanguinetti or Visnevski, or a PWF type of player.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
I've heard this sanguinetti kid has no Defensive game whatsoever...I'm sure lemaire would puke.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Kevin Wey said:
Covering the AHL and USHL for Hockey's Future from my base in Des Moines, I got to see Okposo play a lot.

In the USHL this year, Okposo was Iginla-like. When I interviewed Okposo for the Q and A for HF, he was in his Under Armour with his bottoms still on after the game. His upper body is quite developed. If he's at 195, it's ALL muscle. I've talked with Chad Morin of Sioux City under the same circumstances, and Morin is listed at 205. I don't see how Morin is bigger than Okposo, although Morin is very well built himself. Okposo definitely has a lot of muscle, which he uses very well along the boards. Okposo almost always emerges from along the boards or in the corners with the puck by using his size, intelligence, and stickhandling. There were so many times this year when I wondered how the hell he gained control of the puck. He made a lot of the other USHLers look foolish.

His stickhandling and shot are pretty impressive. He's very dangerous in close, but he also has a hard enough shot to be dangerous from the perimeter. His speed was good at the USHL level, but it's not like his teammate Trevor Lewis. I would say that Okposo will need more speed and acceleration to be as successful as a pro.

Okposo is not quite as physical as Iginla. Okposo can lay out hits, but he's much more of a scorer. He does have good hockey sense and is fairly responsible defensively, but I would say that Lewis is the better player defensively, but Lewis has one more year of USHL hockey on him, and the USHL is a good league. A lot of top Minnesota high school players come to the USHL and are little more than average players. Okposo is actually more physical in maintaining control of the puck than he is getting the puck, in my opinion. He's no Ben Van Lare or Donnie Hallmark, comparing him to fellow Des Moines Buccaneers.

There were some USHLers who could handle Okposo this year though. Nick Schaus of Omaha, the USHL Defenseman of the Year, can play any which way you want, and he used his experience against Okposo. (Not all of his Lancer teammates had success, but one-on-one, Schaus could handle anyone in the USHL.) Steven Kampfer of Sioux City did a good job skating with Okposo, which really impressed me. Chicago Steel forward Randy Guzior knew how to get under Okposo's skin. Guzior was an underrated physical forward this year who could consistently get Okposo off his game. As Okposo moves up, he'll be battling with more and more players like Guzior.

Given Okposo's age though, he was mighty impressive. Nobody else in the USHL was as much of an offensive highlight reel. Okposo may not have led the USHL in scoring, but he was the most dominant player offensively because of his combination of power and skill. He has good speed, but a little more speed and acceleration will seal the deal.

Whoever gets him has a great prospect who definitely will not need four years of college hockey.

even though lewis is a year older then most players in the draft, do you think he still has a legitimate shot at the first round? from what i hear about his skill level he sounds like a clearcut first, but hes older.

Wild Thing

Child... please.
Feb 18, 2003
Way Down South
Visit site
Chrisd said:
I'd like okposo too with the wild..cuz its fun to watch a gopher player, go to your home team, like irmen will soon.

But...

there are more then 9 good players in this draft so we are guaranteed a player like a brassard, mueller, tlusty, okposo, little....so I'm not all that worried about it.

He fits the mold of what we need though, gritty guy, hits , goes into corners, gets garbage goals, can skate....

That's the thing. He's not only a good player, he's just exactly the kind of good player we need. I know we're going to get a top player at #9, but I'd really rather not be in the position where the ninth pick rolls around and the best two or three players on the board are all soft, smallish floaters. A guy like Okposo would be absolutely perfect for the Wild - not only a top talent, but fills a huge need.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Kevin Wey said:

Is that all you've got? ;)

Thanks dude, that helps a lot. If the top 7 are gone I'd love to see this kid in the Yotes organization. And maybe he can get Wheeler's big butt in gear at U of M next year.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
Kevin Wey said:

Hey Kevin, I know this is off topic, but if your working out of Des Moines do you think you could give me your impressions of Troy Davenport? Not so much as a pro prospect but how he's looked and you think he'll fair next year when he returns to Cornell to, presumably, take over the #1 spot.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
MN_Gopher said:
For the last two years Okposo has been described as a man playing with boys. Both in the USHL and at Shattucks. He has superior strength for his age. And is not affraid to go into a corner and pound a guy.

He is listed small for a power forward. But wasn't Deadmarsh listed at like 6 feet and 195 too? He did just fine. Picture that with more skill.

Heh Deadmarsh retired because of the way he played.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Leachmeister2000 said:
Heh Deadmarsh retired because of the way he played.

Yeah, but I've read that Okposo has a really think layer of fatty padding between his brain and his skull. So we won't have to worry about Kyle "going Deadmarsh" on us. He's got the highest brain fat upside in the entire draft, IMO.

I am an idiot.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
rt said:
Yeah, but I've read that Okposo has a really think layer of fatty padding between his brain and his skull. So we won't have to worry about Kyle "going Deadmarsh" on us. He's got the highest brain fat upside in the entire draft, IMO.

I am an idiot.
Hahaha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->