Kyle Okposo opens up about the darkest days of his life (The Athletic)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I mean, that’s football. The sport is literally built around o and d lines ramming their heads into each other and every player putting their head at risk via regular and severe body contact. That is the one major sport I can see some players walking away from because the game is fundamentally a huge CTE risk. Won’t see a death knell though.

Hockey is considerably less severe as compared to football or how hockey used to be played. To the point where huge hits are semi rare. This is because huge hits aren’t a fundamental or altogether necessary part of the game. There are ways to decrease head trauma without fundamentally altering the game, unlike football. So I doubt hockey will lose anyone over it.

Well, I can see guys who start having a repeated concussion issues retiring early rather than continue risking worse outcomes. But yeah especially with the death of the goon, hockey probably won't see a huge impact from this stuff in the short term at least

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Incredibly scary stuff. My kids play hockey and I worry about concussions every day.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Doesn’t it also involve high speed collisions more than say a punch in hockey? Those hits and elbows that cause the brain to hit skull?

Honest question.

I'm not a doctor but I believe so. My mom is going through PCS after a bad fall so I've talked to her neurologist about such things.

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
Unfortunately, someone will need to die (on the ice) for fighting to be banned. Kyle also needs better judgement here knowing his history

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Unfortunately, someone will need to die (on the ice) for fighting to be banned. Kyle also needs better judgement here knowing his history
No, this is on him. This was his fault, sorry. Also, please refrain from writing ANOTHER woe is me article, Kyle.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
No, this is on him. This was his fault, sorry. Also, please refrain from writing ANOTHER woe is me article, Kyle.
Wait, are you the same guy doing this again, or is this another separate Pens fan coming in with the hot take of the day so soon after the other one had to have all traces of their post removed?

Reactions: MattMartin

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
Okposo made a hit that was questionable and stood up for himself after he was challenged. Sure he should have walked away but I get why he wouldn't.

I wonder if there should be some sort of ban on fighting for certain players. That everyone knows they can't fight due to medical reasons.
Like Okposo, Söderberg (because of blindness in one eye), and for those with severe concussion history.

I'm not for banning fighting altogether but those players really, really shouldn't fight.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Okposo made a hit that was questionable and stood up for himself after he was challenged. Sure he should have walked away but I get why he wouldn't.

I wonder if there should be some sort of ban on fighting for certain players. That everyone knows they can't fight due to medical reasons.
Like Okposo, Söderberg (because of blindness in one eye), and for those with severe concussion history.

I'm not for banning fighting altogether but those players really, really shouldn't fight.
Or maybe they could just not throw their glowes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad