Kyle Dubas with a hilarious chirp at training camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm a Dubas fan but treating a university student like that with a decent question backed up with some stats seems a bit unnecessary

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
He's not overestimating our D, he is being smart by not showing a sign of weakness. The last thing you want to do is show the 30 other GMs how desperate you are to upgrade the D. That's more of a play out of the Marc Bergevin playbook.

Bingo.

However anyone with common sense knows that the leafs D particularly on the right side is a concern.

Hainsey just shouldn’t be playing more than 15 minutes a night. Zaitsev needs to rebound and let’s hope and pray that one of Ozhiganov, Holl, Carrick, Rosen or Borgman can take the next step.

Gardiner needs to be better against top teams.

At this stage only Morgan Rielly is truly reliable and he’s had some off nights.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I'm a Dubas fan but treating a university student like that with a decent question backed up with some stats seems a bit unnecessary

Could be that he's defensive about the issue since he didn't do anything in the offseason.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Could be that he's defensive about the issue since he didn't do anything in the offseason.

????

john-tavares-holds-up-maple-leafs-jersey-in-lockeroom.jpg

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
dat kid is right
this d won't make it out that 2nd round
common sense

This defense just got rid of some of the very worst possession forwards and a dman(polak) in the league.

This team is better made up to possess the puck longer per game and it will consequently improve the defense and itscworkload in its own end.

Shots against dropping by 3 per game is my expectation this season. That remains to be sern but i think the right mix is there todo it.

I will reserve judgment until the Christmas mark. I think it will be positive.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
The guy that asked the question did a Reddit AMA here:

For those of you who don’t use Reddit, he said he took it as a compliment, as in the way he asked the question was so well thought out that Dubas thought he should be a journalist. Naturally it’s been framed as an insult.

Here’s how he recounted the incident:

“The tweet that was sent out earlier didn't really portray the question correctly. This is how it actually went.

I first congratulated him on being the second youngest GM in NHL history and asked him if I could ask him a question about the team since most people were there to ask about what he looks for in jobs.

He told me to ask the question
And i said "Obviously the leafs have big expectations this year and you have one of the best offensive lineups in the league but with defense being your weakpoint, as you were 28th in expect goals against and 25th in shot attempts against, what can you do to improve in that category"

He then laughed really loudly and said "wow thats one of the toughest questions i've had" and followed by asking my program in which I said Sports management. And then he told me to consider journalism. I didn't take it offensively and was just grateful to be able to ask him a question, i take it he was more impressed with me :)

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
"He answered it by saying that leafs currently have a really strong offense and they plan on winning by simply outscoring the other team. He said that he lets the coaches really worry about the defense and wanted to add that he wanta to bring exciting hockey to Toronto"

This was his actual answer.

Not sure if I like that answer.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
The guy that asked the question did a Reddit AMA here:

For those of you who don’t use Reddit, he said he took it as a compliment, as in the way he asked the question was so well thought out that Dubas thought he should be a journalist. Naturally it’s been framed as an insult.

Here’s how he recounted the incident:

“The tweet that was sent out earlier didn't really portray the question correctly. This is how it actually went.

I first congratulated him on being the second youngest GM in NHL history and asked him if I could ask him a question about the team since most people were there to ask about what he looks for in jobs.

He told me to ask the question
And i said "Obviously the leafs have big expectations this year and you have one of the best offensive lineups in the league but with defense being your weakpoint, as you were 28th in expect goals against and 25th in shot attempts against, what can you do to improve in that category"

He then laughed really loudly and said "wow thats one of the toughest questions i've had" and followed by asking my program in which I said Sports management. And then he told me to consider journalism. I didn't take it offensively and was just grateful to be able to ask him a question, i take it he was more impressed with me :)

What's new. A sports reporter taking something out of context and trying to make it sound like he insulted the kid

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
"He answered it by saying that leafs currently have a really strong offense and they plan on winning by simply outscoring the other team. He said that he lets the coaches really worry about the defense and wanted to add that he wanta to bring exciting hockey to Toronto"

This was his actual answer.

Not sure if I like that answer.
why? Should he be trying to win by getting outscored by the other team?

Reactions: saltming

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
What's new. A sports reporter taking something out of context and trying to make it sound like he insulted the kid

And this is why unless you really dig a bit... some reporters just like throwing out half quotes to get people clicking on there Twitter etc but don't really tell the whole truth. Kind of sad. It's good the guy who asked that told the real story. Dubas is right. Maybe he should do journalism.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
my fav pastime is coming on HFBoards and reading all these hot takes. Also crazy that twitter ppl, bloggers and such have moved up the ranks of hockey and yet all of you remain here. Really shows how informed your opinions are

Reactions: Kelly

BackPassChampions

Jun 26, 2015
Quick question for anyone here, even though I have a feeling I know the answer to the question I feel like I missed this somewhere & can't find the affirmation:

Was Kyle Dubas a Leafs fan growing up/Is he a Leafs fan?

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
There is no question here that Dubas is putting that student down. You can call it an insult or admonishment. Either way, it is entirely negative.

One question. Did you guys and gals actually go to school?

The joke back then, was fail all your courses, there is always journalism!

That is how it is in university, always has been, always will be.

:baghead:

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
There is no question here that Dubas is putting that student down. You can call it an insult or admonishment. Either way, it is entirely negative.

One question. Did you guys and gals actually go to school?

The joke back then, was fail all your courses, there is always journalism!

That is how it is in university, always has been, always will be.

I’ve probably spent more time in school than most people here, and that was never a saying I heard anyone say.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Common sense said Vegas wouldn't make the playoffs last year.
And this, this is what everybody forgets. Even I wouldn't have thought about a statement like that but that kind of puts things into a real perspective regarding our D.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013

Dat's the joke!

(It's a joke)

Unless you majored in sociology... :laugh::laugh::thumbu:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I’ve probably spent more time in school than most people here, and that was never a saying I heard anyone say.
probably because they've created a lot more degrees like sports mgmt which kids can breeze through

Sep 18, 2009
And this, this is what everybody forgets. Even I wouldn't have thought about a statement like that but that kind of puts things into a real perspective regarding our D.
A cinderella exception changes your opinion about our defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad