Rumor: Kyle Dubas travels to to NYC to take in the flames vs rangers game. Why?

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Can we make it simpler?

Nylander for Barrie + ...?

It's kind of a lateral move for us to bring in Nylander while simultaneously moving Jost. We need forward depth/secondary scoring.
Jost would be imperative imo.
I’d prefer to go the route of ...
Jost + Timmins +
For
Nylander

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Noticed the Flames played Brodie with Giordano in the first period and then with Hanifin in the 2nd period. Showcasing him without Gio for Dubas?

Also Anderson and Valimaki look ready now and Hamonic is coming back soon....
The add needed with Hanifin for Nylander would give you whiplash.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Can we make it simpler?

Nylander for Barrie + ...?

It's kind of a lateral move for us to bring in Nylander while simultaneously moving Jost. We need forward depth/secondary scoring.

I don't know the term for Barrie for Nylander.

I posterior move a thing.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
What is it that you think that they control, his choice of hairstyle? The only thing out of their control is if he signs an offer sheet, at which point they get back a pre-defined return and their cost is still controlled.....they just get to make a choice.

The fact that he isnt signed already means he isnt cost controlled. Leafs are playing hardball with a number (presumably - i admittedly know little of the details), or Nylander is playing hardball with a number. Either way, the 'cost' the leafs are willing to pay isnt acceptable to Nylander, and he thinks not playing is a better option.

He cant go play anywhere else in the NHL, so he's team controlled, but that he hasnt signed kind of implies that he isnt cost controlled.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
The fact that he isnt signed already means he isnt cost controlled. Leafs are playing hardball with a number (presumably - i admittedly know little of the details), or Nylander is playing hardball with a number. Either way, the 'cost' the leafs are willing to pay isnt acceptable to Nylander, and he thinks not playing is a better option.

He cant go play anywhere else in the NHL, so he's team controlled, but that he hasnt signed kind of implies that he isnt cost controlled.

By that rationale, no player is ever cost controlled as non of them ever has to sign a contract, even coming out of juniors.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Why? I'm guessing because hes 31 and the GM of an original 6 team and wants to go take in a game in one of the best sporting venues in all of sports? And scout the Rangers while hes doing it? I'm guessing hed send a minion to scout them if the game were in South Dakota, though.

The vast majority of executives were probably fans first. I'd take advantage of that as well.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
By that rationale, no player is ever cost controlled as non of them ever has to sign a contract, even coming out of juniors.

I think its fair to say when a player is refusing to sign the contracts put in front of them after multiple discussions, we can shift away from the 'cost-controlled' piece. All semantics in the end though.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdJovanovski

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I think its fair to say when a player is refusing to sign the contracts put in front of them after multiple discussions, we can shift away from the 'cost-controlled' piece. All semantics in the end though.

Sure though in the case of anyone pre-UFA, it's the whole intention of the contract status (ELC, RFA etc.) achieved through the bargaining process to always enforce some degree of cost (or loss) control.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Why? I'm guessing because hes 31 and the GM of an original 6 team and wants to go take in a game in one of the best sporting venues in all of sports? And scout the Rangers while hes doing it? I'm guessing hed send a minion to scout them if the game were in South Dakota, though.

The vast majority of executives were probably fans first. I'd take advantage of that as well.
You are correct.
He met with Nylanders agent in NY and took in a few games.

Not saying he didn't talk hockey, but id say his main intention was to watch.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Sure though in the case of anyone pre-UFA, it's the whole intention of the contract status (ELC, RFA etc.) achieved through the bargaining process to always enforce some degree of cost (or loss) control.

Correct, its part of the procedure, i get that. Cost controlled is usually referenced in a term of cost certainty, as in "this player is locked up for x years at y amount." Here it's become "hes an RFA, hes cost controlled", which isnt necessarily true - though the team usually has the upper hand and last say to force that. Extreme example here, but Connor McDavid wasnt 'cost controlled'.

I dont think any RFA who hasnt signed is no longer under cost control. I would have called Nurse cost controlled while he was doing his thing. But Nylander skipping the pre season, missing NHL games, is a bit of a different animal.

The idea of a player' being cost controlled while over a prolonged period of time, missing games, and showing no real signs of progress(that ive seen), and multiple contract discussions - i think we can at least partially agree here, is a bit misleading.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I’d trade Jost+Timmins for Nylander as an Avs fan no problem.

Well then you're fine with overpaying: a good young forward who's cost controlled for another year, a good prospect in order to get back a soft winger who wants god knows how much money.

and he did say Jost + Timmins +

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Well then you're fine with overpaying: a good young forward who's cost controlled for another year, a good prospect in order to get back a soft winger who wants god knows how much money.

and he did say Jost + Timmins +

Yeah but the last + wouldn't be a huge piece. The core of the deal is Jost and Timmins.

Jost is a hefty price to pay. As a young cost controlled asset he has lots of value. There's legitimate concern over Timmins health and IMO Meloche makes more sense for the Leafs as a big mean shutdown defender with offensive upside for them.

But Nylander would be a great add to our secondary scoring and an even better add to the PP for us. He's worth the price.

The big concern with Nylander is money. At 8M the Avs simply cant do it as the backlash of that contract would put us in a world of hurt soon after trying to get Rantanen signed.

If hes willing to come off that 8M tag on a new team then perhaps something could work. But as it is now I dont see the Avs or anyone paying the price tag for Nylander in trade or contract negotiations.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Maybe he just wanted to see the Rangers goal celebration/horn live. It’s very catchy.

Or he gets free flights to places and a gms life window is probably 5-10 years.

There’s no limit on the amount of air miles if rack up if it was free. Id be scouting for players in the Caribbean all winter.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The add needed with Hanifin for Nylander would give you whiplash.
Really? Hanifin is 21. He was drafted #5 overall. He is looking like a solid #3 that is likely to become a solid #2 dman.

Look at recent returns for players like that.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
The last thing the Leafs need is one of the NYR d-men. The Leafs at this point have scored more goals than any other team in the league (34) and yet 6 of the 7 dmen who have played for them are minus players. That was quite the surprise to me looking at their stats. What the Leafs need is a great shutdown pair to go along with the offensively gifted guys they already have. I don't look at the Rangers D and see that there.

Reactions: authentic

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Noticed the Flames played Brodie with Giordano in the first period and then with Hanifin in the 2nd period. Showcasing him without Gio for Dubas?

Also Anderson and Valimaki look ready now and Hamonic is coming back soon....

Brodie played like garbage and had his icetime reduced. It was hardly a showcase game for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad