Player Discussion: Kyle Connor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
I'm surprised folks still comment on Connor getting sent down at the start of the year.

It didn't look like the wrong move based on his Camp and preseason.

The Connor we have today wasn't the same Connor that was in camp.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Kyle Connor is awesome.
His confidence right now is through the roof...

Those intight shots he makes (can make) are really elite.

He nows weaves when entering zones creating havoc.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Just out of curiosity, how so? Not saying its right or wrong but genuinely curious as I see them as pretty similar type players...
Translation: them there are fightin' words so you better back up that horse hockey. Dane's are basically Canadian and won't get mad right away. :sarcasm:

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
What is so impressive to me is Connor's puck control. The puck just kind of sticks to his blade when he's in traffic. His feet and hands are so quick. Can't wait until my work playoff pool starts and Connor wins it for me. He is so under the radar with the other great rookies taking the spotlight this year.

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I still believe Connor has a couple 50 goal seasons in him. ( his ceiling) What we don't know is really what kind of shot he has, from 30-40 feet out ?? He's probably the best Jet from in close around the net--he's very shifty, and has magic hands. He can get that puck up and in the corner, with very little room to work with.

Ehlers pretty much will score around 35 goals a year--his ceiling will be about 40 goals, but his "assists" could go as high as 50- 60 and I can see him getting about 90- 100points in his prime.

Laine is really coming on, and I see his goal ceiling at around 60 goals--maybe 65 tops. He's also a good playmaker and likely will average around 35 assists to 40. I can also see him breaking the 100 point mark.

I've noticed Laine is getting faster and stronger in the last half of the season, and is harder to get off the puck. As he gets older, he will also get stronger and could become a "very big star"--maybe like Mario Lemieux. Originally I thought he was a little slow, and he wasn't as good as Mathews, but I'm starting to think, the Jet's got the better player in Laine ? If he continues to get stronger and faster, we could have a "generational player" on our team--in Patrick Laine.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
A lot of our young studs are just kids. They don't have their "man-strength" yet. Ehlers, Connor, Laine, Roslovic - all still relatively "weak" compared to the men that are playing the game around them. It's not a knock at all, they just haven't physically matured fully as yet. They are going to be quite scary when they can do what Scheifele now does in terms of strength (or heaven help us, imagine if Laine gets as strong as a Lowry?). And I'm not even sure Scheifele is completely done getting stronger.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Just out of curiosity, how so? Not saying its right or wrong but genuinely curious as I see them as pretty similar type players...
I also see them as pretty similar in that they are blazing fast and excellent stick handlers, but Connor is a purer goal-scorer while I see Nik as more creative. Placing a ceiling on either of them is premature at this point...but there is a higher floor under Connor. He already has a more mature 2-way NHL game than either Ehlers or Laine-- faster on the forecheck, a better cycler, more tenacious in the neutral zone and quickly back to the D-zone with his check. He also is less prone to overhandling and losing the puck. In short, he is a safer bet as a top-line winger because he has made the transition to the NHL exceptionally seamlessly.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I also see them as pretty similar in that they are blazing fast and excellent stick handlers, but Connor is a purer goal-scorer while I see Nik as more creative. Placing a ceiling on either of them is premature at this point...but there is a higher floor under Connor. He already has a more mature 2-way NHL game than either Ehlers or Laine-- faster on the forecheck, a better cycler, more tenacious in the neutral zone and quickly back to the D-zone with his check. He also is less prone to overhandling and losing the puck. In short, he is a safer bet as a top-line winger because he has made the transition to the NHL exceptionally seamlessly.

I agree with a lot of this. What really impresses me about Connor is his forecheck, cycle play and how deadly he is in close to the goal compared to how "small" he still is. He uses his size better than Nikky. If we only look at pre NHL numbers though, they look like equal goal scoring talents but I think they score in different ways. Connor is better at sneaking into open pockets like a traditional shooter whereas Nikky creates a lot of his own goals. I actually think Nikky's back check is on par with Connor (imo it's what he has improved the most this season). But agree on Connor's floor being a bit higher. I mostly think that is a result of Connor playing with less risk in his game. Nikky's creativity does cost turnovers at times but it also draws a bunch of penalties and makes him one of the best at zone entries in the league. Looks like Connor is starting to figure out how to use his speed too but I think he is still behind in that facet. We could easily have two top 5 zone entry guys in the league at some point which is very exciting to me!

Reactions: GNP and ps241

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud

It's Connors mind. Hockey sense, processing speed...whatever.

Ehlers (whom I love BTW) can skate and dangle and play at lightning speed....But sometimes you can see his body has gotten him someplace before his mind had a solid plan what to do when he got there. Connor is rarely in that position. He knows what he's going to do as soon as the puck hits his stick. he doesnnt need that extra moment at the end of a rush to look around and find an option. Kyle is already made up his mind.

Reactions: GNP

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
I'm really not sure why people are all in a rush to get rid of our vets before we need to.

There is a time for us to turn over our lineup and I think Chevy has a pretty cogent master plan to achieve that. Last year was a prime example - the team purposefully went younger in order to get our prospects experience. When the time comes, and guys like Schiefele and Lowry are considered the vets, we will probably move on from Little, and Wheeler. Same with Morrissey maturing enough for us to move on from Byfuglien (though I worry about our D pipeline right now.)

Having Perreault and Little in the lineup does not diminish Connor and Ehlers, Roslovic etc. It enhances them by providing veteran support, mentors and established players to take a higher QoC.

When the time comes, I highly doubt Cheveldayoff is going to let a guy like Connor go if it's the only way to keep a guy like Bryan Little.
I'm really not sure why people are all in a rush to get rid of our vets before we need to.

There is a time for us to turn over our lineup and I think Chevy has a pretty cogent master plan to achieve that. Last year was a prime example - the team purposefully went younger in order to get our prospects experience. When the time comes, and guys like Schiefele and Lowry are considered the vets, we will probably move on from Little, and Wheeler. Same with Morrissey maturing enough for us to move on from Byfuglien (though I worry about our D pipeline right now.)

Having Perreault and Little in the lineup does not diminish Connor and Ehlers, Roslovic etc. It enhances them by providing veteran support, mentors and established players to take a higher QoC.

When the time comes, I highly doubt Cheveldayoff is going to let a guy like Connor go if it's the only way to keep a guy like Bryan Little.
Wheeler is not going anywhere other than being a coach or a job in the front office with the jets at retirement.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Jets are so lucky to have Connor and the other 2 guys.
40% of the jets goal from those 3. Wow

Though we have to understand on this comparison.
Connor pretty much riding with Schiefele and Wheeler all year. Under Wheels best season yet.
Schiefele is a point a game top 5-7 C

Laine basically doesnt play with those 2. Ehlers at the start of the year did.

In the future run.
It would be great if they will be able to drive each of their own lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->