Player Discussion: Kyle Connor is a machine.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
He stated that a if a favourite player was traded AND IF that fan began cheering for that team instead, then that fan was never a Jets fan in the first place. He was a fan of a player. Nothing more.

If that doesn't describe you, then don't feel offended.

But even if that does describe you, why would you be offended? You'll be off cheering for another team, so why would you care?

I didn't find it rude at all. I do find your response puzzling.

Come on. I don't have a dog in this race but lets not act like Jets Homer said all that with the purest of intentions.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There were a lot of fans / posters that preferred Petan to Connor at the beginning of last season. It shows how much fluidity there is for young players on a deep and talented roster. Connor made the most of his brief AHL demotion and was dynamite on the first line when he got his opportunity. I'm hoping Petan makes the leap this season.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
There were a lot of fans / posters that preferred Petan to Connor at the beginning of last season. It shows how much fluidity there is for young players on a deep and talented roster. Connor made the most of his brief AHL demotion and was dynamite on the first line when he got his opportunity. I'm hoping Petan makes the leap this season.
petan was ready to do what connor did this year, years ago.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
I wouldn't go that far. He needed to gain a step or two and some strength...
it's not really a far reach at all. petan has been NHL ready for years now, this should be pretty widely accepted. while connor had a good year, he was being propped up by scheif and wheeler, at times heavily. i have no doubts that petan would have looked as good if not better beside those 2, even when he was connor's age.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
it's not really a far reach at all. petan has been NHL ready for years now, this should be pretty widely accepted. while connor had a good year, he was being propped up by scheif and wheeler, at times heavily. i have no doubts that petan would have looked as good if not better beside those 2, even when he was connor's age.
I disagree that Connor was "propped up". He is a huge talent that was ready to contribute. I think Petan is a lesser talent, but should be ready to contribute well at the NHL level now.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
I disagree that Connor was "propped up". He is a huge talent that was ready to contribute. I think Petan is a lesser talent, but should be ready to contribute well at the NHL level now.
he was helped by his elite line mates, to reach a level he wouldn't have been able to reach otherwise (in his first year) IMO. mainly his play driving was the area being propped up, while obviously having the finishing ability to capitalize on these opportunities given. there was never any doubt about how good he is and he was easily ready to contribute in the NHL; i was adamant how ready he was to do this even last year. though the point stands that petan could have done the same in a similar situation.

i am really high on connor, always have been and i would give the edge to him over petan at their peaks. however, if we are talking about this past year, petan was just as ready to do what connor did. probably even more so. 21 year old petan could have held his own as well, perhaps not the same scoring punch but his overall play and effectiveness would be similar.

but yea, if you asked me which i preferred at the start of last season, 23 y/o petan vs 21 y/o connor... i'd have taken petan by the slimmest of margins.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Did you read the conversation? He said that the commenter before him made him wish Laine was of some other nationality. To that I replied it’s commenters like him that make me wonder why I’m a Jets fan. In reply to that he claimed I wasn’t a Jets fan, even though I watch the games at 3AM before work and phone my old mum after every game to tell her the score. I don’t think it was in response to the jerseys because the people in attendance were not Jets fans at all, the past players just honored the Jets which I thought was a nice gesture. If I misread that and it wasn’t a jab at me I apologize.

Perhaps I missed the beginning of the conversation. I just sent you a lengthy personal message.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
he was helped by his elite line mates, to reach a level he wouldn't have been able to reach otherwise (in his first year) IMO. mainly his play driving was the area being propped up, while obviously having the finishing ability to capitalize on these opportunities given. there was never any doubt about how good he is and he was easily ready to contribute in the NHL; i was adamant how ready he was to do this even last year. though the point stands that petan could have done the same in a similar situation.

i am really high on connor, always have been and i would give the edge to him over petan at their peaks. however, if we are talking about this past year, petan was just as ready to do what connor did. probably even more so. 21 year old petan could have held his own as well, perhaps not the same scoring punch but his overall play and effectiveness would be similar.

but yea, if you asked me which i preferred at the start of last season, 23 y/o petan vs 21 y/o connor... i'd have taken petan by the slimmest of margins.

So goes sports.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
......... if we are talking about this past year, petan was just as ready to do what connor did. probably even more so. 21 year old petan could have held his own as well, perhaps not the same scoring punch but his overall play and effectiveness would be similar.

There are plenty of good line mates in the NHL, yet precious few rookies who accomplish what Connor did this season: highest goal scorer among all rookies; second only to McDavid in goals from his draft year; top 30 in goals among ALL skaters in the NHL.
Petan needs to prove, at age 23, that he is NHL-worthy. Connor has already proven, at 21, that he is a top-30 goal scorer in the NHL.
There is no comparison.

Last edited:

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
There are plenty of good line mates in the NHL, yet precious few rookies who accomplish what Connor did this season: highest goal scorer among all rookies; second only to McDavid in goals from his draft year; top 30 in goals among ALL skaters in the NHL.
Petan needs to prove, at age 23, that he is NHL-worthy. Connor has already proven, at 21, that he is a top-30 goal scorer in the NHL.
There is no comparison.
Is galchenyuk a top 30 goal scorer too?

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Some of the passing and receiving and corralling of the puck, and dekes that Laine has done are nothing short of astounding. I'm not sure if your emoji was meant for that or not?

Laine's a good passer and handles the puck well - but I would say his skills in this area are short of "astounding".
In an effort to get back on topic, how would you rank KC's "puck skills"?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So please tell me again how Laine is poor defensively? His defensive numbers are some of the best for the top forwards. Why do people keep saying that Laine is poor defensively when for example Scheifele has far worse numbers? It gets tiring when something gets thrown around as fact when it’s not backed up by numbers. Just like global warming.

And why does every single thread end up in Laine bashing? I thought I’d read about Kyle Connor here. Are these the main boards?

Any perceived 'Laine bashing' is a direct result of the Laine fanboys fanatical defense of any and every slightest criticism of Laine.

How is he poor defensively? He coughs up the puck in his own end at an incredible rate. You want proof of that? Watch a game, any game.

How did the Connor thread morph into another Laine thread? Someone brought up a hypothetical question about the relative $$$ values of Connor vs Laine. The fanboys came out.

Connor at 6 mil = $193,548.39/goal
Laine at 10 mil = $272,272.73/goal
IIRC those were the salaries in the hypothetical. Figure out the answer for yourself.

Please stop referring to global warming. Do you want to debate Global Warming here?

This is a hockey site.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Laine's a good passer and handles the puck well - but I would say his skills in this area are short of "astounding".
In an effort to get back on topic, how would you rank KC's "puck skills"?

Agree to disagree on the first point :)

KC has completely different puck skills imo. His skill is skating with the puck and his quickness and IQ. He knows what he he needs to do about a second before anyone else in a given situation, and he has the puck skills to make his plan a reality. It's not really a great comparison regarding puck skills between Laine and KC, because I see them as apples and oranges, completely different but effective skills. I love having both of them.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm not a mod (and wouldn't ever want to be), but if we could avoid the derogatory names and also understand that there are couple of argumentative people and not generalize entire groups, we could have a better conversation.

Please feel free to tell me to take a hike :)

Reactions: Halberdier

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Agree to disagree on the first point :)

KC has completely different puck skills imo. His skill is skating with the puck and his quickness and IQ. He knows what he he needs to do about a second before anyone else in a given situation, and he has the puck skills to make his plan a reality. It's not really a great comparison regarding puck skills between Laine and KC, because I see them as apples and oranges, completely different but effective skills. I love having both of them.

I guess it really depends on what you call "puck skills".
Handing the puck in flight is what I have always considered the trademark of a great "puck handler".
These guys, in my mind, are the ones that are super nifty with the puck - like it's on a string.
Connor is one of those super nifty players and IMO, better at it than anyone on the team.
When I think of Connor, this is how I see him - extremely high skill set.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
petan was ready to do what connor did this year, years ago.

Petan had a better TC than Connor did. He didn't translate that to the regular season. Connor went down briefly and came back ready to excel. It remains to be seen whether Petan will ever be ready to do what Connor did.

That said, I'd like to see what Petan could do with Scheif and Wheeler. I'd also like to see what he could do feeding Laine.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Some of the passing and receiving and corralling of the puck, and dekes that Laine has done are nothing short of astounding. I'm not sure if your emoji was meant for that or not?

He has some very good puck skills. And he has some big holes in his puck handling too.

We have some posters here who can only see Laine as perfect. They tend to become very defensive and hyperbolic whenever any imperfection is mentioned or whenever he doesn't come out on top in any comparison of players.

He is going into his 3rd NHL season having just turned 20. He appears to have a very good attitude and to want to be a complete player. I expect him to keep getting better in almost every aspect of his game. He is a very special player. But he is not above criticism. There are things he can do better, and probably will.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
It gets tiring when something gets thrown around as fact when it’s not backed up by numbers. Just like global warming....

And why does every single thread end up in Laine bashing? I thought I’d read about Kyle Connor here. Are these the main boards?
Maybe you should read the science and scientific consensus on climate change. It is persuasive and scary.
The consensus among research scientists that climate change is real and caused by humans (~97%) is equal to the consensus that smoking causes lung cancer.
PS-Trump is not a research scientist :sarcasm:

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad