Player Discussion: Kyle Connor is a machine.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Grow up...

This is such a ridiculous thing to write.
Why would what some fans think make a trade the good choice?

I don't agree with him, but he has a point, KC does have a very NHL allround friendly game.

And he has a right to his opinion!
Gotta wonder though, why does Laine get called out for his bad 2-way game but at the same time Connor is the teams worst forward defensively and somehow gets a pass.

I'm very curious to see what Connor looks like next season. Not sure what to expect.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Gotta wonder though, why does Laine get called out for his bad 2-way game but at the same time Connor is the teams worst forward defensively and somehow gets a pass.

I'm very curious to see what Connor looks like next season. Not sure what to expect.
Connor is much stronger defensively than Laine

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
So what is your proof for that? I claim that Laine is a better player at preventing the opponents from scoring than Connor is. My proof is the allowed goals on 5 on 5 hockey last season. 39 allowed goals for Laine and 42 allowed goals for Connor. Connor played 20 seconds more than Laine on 5 on 5 hockey. I’m pretty sure that this kind of a tendency will continue in the future too. Only Laine’s gap to Connor will become bigger when he has improved physically and has better first steps than before. Connor is already two years older, so he will not likely develop as much physically as Laine will do. But only time will tell the real answer.

Still waiting for your proof. Or is it about how you like Connor more than Laine? That is of course fine, but it doesn't still make Connor better defensively even how much you like him more.

Last edited:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

I don’t think Connor is given a free pass. Some of his mistakes just aren’t as obvious and he doesn’t have groupies defending him at all cost.

So what is your proof for that? I claim that Laine is a better player at preventing the opponents from scoring than Connor is. My proof is the allowed goals on 5 on 5 hockey last season. 39 allowed goals for Laine and 42 allowed goals for Connor. Connor played 20 seconds more than Laine on 5 on 5 hockey. I’m pretty sure that this kind of a tendency will continue in the future too. Only Laine’s gap to Connor will become bigger when he has improved physically and has better first steps than before. Connor is already two years older, so he will not likely develop as much physically as Laine will do. But only time will tell the real answer.

Still waiting for your proof. Or is it about how you like Connor more than Laine? That is of course fine, but it doesn't still make Connor better defensively even how much you like him more.

Immovable object, meet immovable force. ;)

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
There is more to hockey than scoring goals. It’s posted like these that make me really wish Laine was a different nationality

Posters like you make me wonder why I’m a Jets fan.

There was a charity hockey game just a couple of days ago in Finland with former and current Jets players (Selänne, Numminen, Laine etc.) who played the last period in Jets jerseys, you probably hate that too.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

Because when it's alleged that Laine is poor defensively, the fan boys come out it droves & argue endlessly he can do no wrong.

Say the same about Connor and calm reasonable people all agree.

Last edited:

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Because when it's alleged that Laine is poor defensively, the fan boys come out it droves & argue endlessly he can do no wrong.

Says the same about Connor and calm reasonable people all agree.

So please tell me again how Laine is poor defensively? His defensive numbers are some of the best for the top forwards. Why do people keep saying that Laine is poor defensively when for example Scheifele has far worse numbers? It gets tiring when something gets thrown around as fact when it’s not backed up by numbers. Just like global warming.

And why does every single thread end up in Laine bashing? I thought I’d read about Kyle Connor here. Are these the main boards?

Reactions: Ippenator

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Posters like you make me wonder why I’m a Jets fan.

There was a charity hockey game just a couple of days ago in Finland with former and current Jets players (Selänne, Numminen, Laine etc.) who played the last period in Jets jerseys, you probably hate that too.
‘Jets fans’ that would switch allegiances if their favourite player got traded and only cheer for a single player are not really Jets fans at all

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
So please tell me again how Laine is poor defensively? His defensive numbers are some of the best for the top forwards. Why do people keep saying that Laine is poor defensively when for example Scheifele has far worse numbers? It gets tiring when something gets thrown around as fact when it’s not backed up by numbers. Just like global warming.

And why does every single thread end up in Laine bashing? I thought I’d read about Kyle Connor here. Are these the main boards?

I never said anything derogatory about Laine whatsoever. I choose neither side.

Say the same about Connor and calm reasonable people all agree.

But here I am defending myself when I offered up no opinion at all. Thanks for solidifying my point about fan boys.

Last edited:

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
‘Jets fans’ that would switch allegiances if their favourite player got traded and only cheer for a single player are not really Jets fans at all

Been cheering for Jets since they came back to Winnipeg but hey, whatever man.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I just think it was ****ing rude to claim that, don’t you agree?

He stated that a if a favourite player was traded AND IF that fan began cheering for that team instead, then that fan was never a Jets fan in the first place. He was a fan of a player. Nothing more.

If that doesn't describe you, then don't feel offended.

But even if that does describe you, why would you be offended? You'll be off cheering for another team, so why would you care?

I didn't find it rude at all. I do find your response puzzling.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

Facts?
I just watch the game and come up with an opinion - there are no metrics that will tell you the whole story. I prefer my eyeball to +/-, goals for / against, corsi, fenwick, shots, blah, blah, blah. Not that I ignore stat's - my brains not big enough to compile every move made on the ice - I just don't live and die by them the way some do.

I'd hate to think the guys that actually make a living evaluating players, are basing it all on stats - if so, remove people from the equation, eliminate the discussion, and award the Selke.

Here's what I know - neither of these guys are defenders of any magnitude and the last thing we should be measuring either of them on is their D game.

Also, I haven't seen any Laine bashing here today - what are you referring to?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
He stated that a if a favourite player was traded AND IF that fan began cheering for that team instead, then that fan was never a Jets fan in the first place. He was a fan of a player. Nothing more.

If that doesn't describe you, then don't feel offended.

But even if that does describe you, why would you be offended? You'll be off cheering for another team, so why would you care?

I didn't find it rude at all. I do find your response puzzling.

Did you read the conversation? He said that the commenter before him made him wish Laine was of some other nationality. To that I replied it’s commenters like him that make me wonder why I’m a Jets fan. In reply to that he claimed I wasn’t a Jets fan, even though I watch the games at 3AM before work and phone my old mum after every game to tell her the score. I don’t think it was in response to the jerseys because the people in attendance were not Jets fans at all, the past players just honored the Jets which I thought was a nice gesture. If I misread that and it wasn’t a jab at me I apologize.

Last edited:

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
I think the reason people call Laine bad defensively and Connor good is because Connor is good at battling, he is decent along the boards and when he goes into a corner he is decent at coming up with the puck. He also forechecks hard.

Laine last year looked a bit lost along the boards and wasn't exactly killing it in board battles.

I suspect though that Laine's line, along with Laine himself, was pretty good at the less glamorous (and often invisible) side of defending... which is positioning yourself such that you reduce passing/entry options, and coming all the way back to support the defense. Likewise I think Connor and his line cheated more for offense and were not always great at getting all the way back into Jets' corners to help out.

It's pretty anecdotal but I remember lots of times Laine being almost TOO defensively responsible, while I hardly ever remember Connor digging into Jets' own corners behind Helle.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I think the reason people call Laine bad defensively and Connor good is because Connor is good at battling, he is decent along the boards and when he goes into a corner he is decent at coming up with the puck. He also forechecks hard.

Laine last year looked a bit lost along the boards and wasn't exactly killing it in board battles.

I suspect though that Laine's line, along with Laine himself, was pretty good at the less glamorous (and often invisible) side of defending... which is positioning yourself such that you reduce passing/entry options, and coming all the way back to support the defense. Likewise I think Connor and his line cheated more for offense and were not always great at getting all the way back into Jets' corners to help out.

It's pretty anecdotal but I remember lots of times Laine being almost TOO defensively responsible, while I hardly ever remember Connor digging into Jets' own corners behind Helle.
This

I watch replays of few games and concentrated in Laines shift.
He is a defensive conscious forward.
For an attacking forward that have that gift of scoring goals.
IMO i want that kid to be the first one out of the blue line during transistion.
Many times he covers the D who pinches in.

People assumed when there is 2on1 3on2 going at your goalie then Connor and Ehlers comes back to back check thst is a good defensive player already. But that is good though Jets have those players.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008

Preaching to the choir buddy.

I have said many times, that KC has gotten a lot of leway with both fans and management compared to say Laine and Ehlers.

I just relly think posts like the one I qouted are a horrible new trend on our part of the forums.. This is a Jets sub forum, not a Finland forum. So saying he should be traded, because some fans may not apreciate him the same as some of the of Fin posters, is just dumb tbh.

I think KC is the type of player that excels with the right players on his line, and maybe not so much without. That is why I think he is still on the 1st line come season start.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
ehlers puck skills are very good but nowhere near laine good. it shouldn't even be a debate
I don't agree.. Ill add more tomorrow, and a little too drunk right now..

Edit:

I was drunk, shit!

This is a KC thread, so id better not:laugh:

If you still want an answer as to why I disagree, quote me in the Ehlers thread:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack722 and Hulide

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->