Kyle Clifford vs Teddy Purcell?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Like all skill players, he is easily worth it if he can put up points. Sometimes players like him dry up, and then they are totally useless. That's when you wish you had someone who at least threw a few hits or blocked shots. Something.

It all depends on how he fits in on the team

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Clifford is like Hendricks with worse hands. It would be nice to have him, but he is a 4th liner and no more. Plus, concussion issues. I'm not sold on Purcell yet, but I am still convinced that Gagner (salary retained) for Clifford was a bad option.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
Purcell is a useful NHL player. Clifford is a 4th line forward who's never even put up 20 points in a season. That kind of guy isn't the difference between winning and losing a game, where guys like Gagner or Purcell are. If Edmonton had traded Gagner for a 4th line plugger, I would've honestly given up on this team.

Ridiculous question. Guys of Clifford's ilk are available in bunches every off-season for less than a million dollars per.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Lightning fan weighing in. Purcell is better than Clifford by a lightyear. Better shooter, better puck handler, better at almost everything by my judgment. However, Purcell as a player is absolutely maddening. If I had 5 dollars for every I yelled "TEDDY SHOOT IT!" over the past few years I'd have enough for the down payment for that house me and the missus are looking at. It was nice to see him get that PPG and I wish him nothing but success in Edmonton. However, don't be surprised if you find Purcell going 10 games at a time without a goal and expect to reach a boiling point when any of RNH, Eberle, Hall or Yak are in a funk and the scoring depth that a guy like Purcell is supposed to add is non-existent.

Clifford on the other hand, at least he is consistent... he is a grinder and doesn't let you down doing it.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Purcell is a useful NHL player. Clifford is a 4th line forward who's never even put up 20 points in a season. That kind of guy isn't the difference between winning and losing a game, where guys like Gagner or Purcell are. If Edmonton had traded Gagner for a 4th line plugger, I would've honestly given up on this team.

Ridiculous question. Guys of Clifford's ilk are available in bunches every off-season for less than a million dollars per.

Exactly. People around here (some people, at least) have been so obsessed with adding "size" to the team that it has seemingly blinded them to the fact that guys like Clifford just aren't good hockey players. Clifford isn't the reason the Kings are a good team, they are a good team, so his flaws as a hockey player are manageable.

I'm not a huge fan of the Purcell add (particularly because it could've been done with salary retained for a late pick), but he's significantly better than Clifford.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad