Kyle Chipchurra - Out for season (ruptured Achilles)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
espion said:
Radulov and Kovalev: not the same category. Kovalev scored a highlight reel goal at the World Cup. Radulov is at the WJC level. A fine prospect, I liker him plenty. But a slippery winger does not necessarily make an NHL superstar.

Give the kid some time before putting himin the same league.

Kovalev's an NHL superstar?

One season a "superstar" does not make.

I can point out a lot of players who played great one season... Chris Simon ring a bell? Joe Juneau? The list of one season wonders goes on and on.

I know Kovalev has talent. I know he's a good player. But for years he's been an underperforming, overrated, ok player with a lot of talent who just never played up to expectations. He has one decent year and there are people who talk like he's gods gift to the NHL. If anything, I'm not sure I'd want him on my team, because when he wasn't playing well he certainly wasn't helping the team. I'd equate it to a cancer, but to me he just looked disinterested in his early career, and has only put it together of late. He's not exactly a guy I'd trump as an NHL superstar, or a pillar of a team. If anything he's a maverick and a wildcard who could be good next year, or could waste his talent like his reputation has shown him to do.

The irony of talent is another thing in this matter... It's one thing to have the talent, it's another to put it out there.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
nomorekids said:
and by the way...I'm not sure where you're getting that Radulov doesn't "show up" every night, because even when he's not on the score sheet, he ALWAYS leads the Remparts in shots, and everything I've heard suggests just the opposite of what you said...
It's because a lot of idiots (not addressing anyone in this thread, BTW) think work ethic and competitiveness are decided by their genes. I love how like 75% of the people who talk about Alexander Radulov just regurgitate what's been said about his brother for years when they're pretty much polar opposites attitude wise.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
FlyersFan10 said:
Selanne was never the same player after the Achilles. His was severed. Don't kid yourself, that's a serious, serious injury.

Totally agree with you. Selanne took a couple of years to even get close to the player he was before the injury. I've heard from a couple people who have had this injury that it is the most painful injury you can have.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
That is awful for Chipchura. I`m not going all doom and gloom saying that this is it for Chipchura, because obviously it`s not, but some people here are greatly underestimating the pain and seriousness of any achilles injury, especially a rupture. This may be something he feels for the rest of his life. It isn`t going to end his hockey career, and it may not even really effect it. Chipchura isn`t a guy who relies solely on his speed. He`s a footsoldier who impresses by putting it all on the table every game. But that doesn`t change that this is a very serious injury.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
I was talking to an Admirals fan online last night and her husband was bed ridden for 4 months after he ruptured his achilees tendon, and she says he still feels it to this day

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
That's a retty big setback for him. This is not an injury to take lightly. I know someone who went through this. Some people do not get back to 100% from this.

It's not all gloom and doom. He's young, an athlete and will be treated by great doctors. But this is absolutely not a good thing for him. He's not that great of a skater to begin with.

Hopefully he gets back to 100%.

Sabes

Feb 27, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
In the P.A paper they said he underwent surgery late Friday and it will be in a cast for 2 months with a month of rehab after that. They said he could be back in about 3 months.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Sabes said:
In the P.A paper they said he underwent surgery late Friday and it will be in a cast for 2 months with a month of rehab after that. They said he could be back in about 3 months.

Thank you for the info ! I hope he recovers 100% and soon.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I believe Selanne had a torn Achilles. Chipchura has a ruptured Achilles tendon. That's much worse. Donovan Bailey suffered a ruptured Achilles late in his sprinting career (after double gold in 1996). I've heard it's a similar pain sensation to being shot. One of the worst possible injuries, it'll probably keep the kid out for almost a full year.

A big blow to Canada's WJC team. Chipchura would have made an excellent checking line forward (think Jarrett Stoll from three years ago), and could have worn a letter. Hopefully he can resume his career, because he was really starting to show an offensive upside this year.

Vic Rattlehead*

espion said:
Here we go again. you're just making yourself look bad. Fact is Kovalev is a prooven NHL All-Star who has finished a season in the NHL's top 10 scorers.

Radulov's been drafted 11th overall in a sub-average draft. Yeay. When he finishes in the top 10 in NHL scoring, then you will have a case.

15th overall. Radulov was drafted 15th overall.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
theredmile said:
Totally agree with you. Selanne took a couple of years to even get close to the player he was before the injury. I've heard from a couple people who have had this injury that it is the most painful injury you can have.

This is horrible news. I feel bad for CHips. Even though he is nowhere near an elite player, Dean McAmmond ruptured his achilles early on in his career. Prior to the accident, he was one of the fastest players in the league. After the injury, I think his speed regressed, and subsequently, his career regressed, since he wasn't a superstar anyway.

Numb Nuts

Sep 17, 2002
Canada
Visit site
nomorekids said:
it doesn't matter. he sucks anyway. he's no christopher higgins, afterall.

Wow, some people are pretty ignorant. I don't see anywhere in this thread where somebody compared Chipchura to Radulov.. Some guy compared Radulov to Kovalev, but not to Chipchura. Then people are trying to say Radulov is a better player than Kovalev? When did this happen? Go on this board and compare a prospect to a player who has proven himself in the NHL and a player in the JUNIORS.. who do you expect to be the better player. Kovalev isn't even likely to be a canadien anymore, so your anti hab remarks are pretty pointless here. Radulov is a great player from what I've seen of him on Quebec, as a Habs fan I'd have no complaints of having him over Chipchura. But ease up on the anti habs ********, some, no a lot are idiots on these boards, but when trying to prove them wrong sometimes you go right down to their level.. like in this thread

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Numb Nuts said:
Wow, some people are pretty ignorant. I don't see anywhere in this thread where somebody compared Chipchura to Radulov.. Some guy compared Radulov to Kovalev, but not to Chipchura. Then people are trying to say Radulov is a better player than Kovalev? When did this happen? Go on this board and compare a prospect to a player who has proven himself in the NHL and a player in the JUNIORS.. who do you expect to be the better player. Kovalev isn't even likely to be a canadien anymore, so your anti hab remarks are pretty pointless here. Radulov is a great player from what I've seen of him on Quebec, as a Habs fan I'd have no complaints of having him over Chipchura. But ease up on the anti habs ********, some, no a lot are idiots on these boards, but when trying to prove them wrong sometimes you go right down to their level.. like in this thread

no one EVER said that radulov was better than kovalev. all that was said was that a good comparison, based on style of play, was kovalev. espion seemed to take exception to that, going on to knock radulov..citing the weak draft and the position he was taken at. i'm not sure what he was trying to accomplish there, but forgive me for being duly annoyed.

Numb Nuts

Sep 17, 2002
Canada
Visit site
nomorekids said:
no one EVER said that radulov was better than kovalev. all that was said was that a good comparison, based on style of play, was kovalev. espion seemed to take exception to that, going on to knock radulov..citing the weak draft and the position he was taken at. i'm not sure what he was trying to accomplish there, but forgive me for being duly annoyed.

I must have understood a post wrong, but that makes a lot more sense to me. Kovalev in his better days would be a pretty good comparison for Radulov's upside. By no means was his draft position off, if anything he may have slipped a few spots..

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Numb Nuts said:
I must have understood a post wrong, but that makes a lot more sense to me. Kovalev in his better days would be a pretty good comparison for Radulov's upside. By no means was his draft position off, if anything he may have slipped a few spots..

Most seem to believe that his stock has risen, and that he probably should have been a top ten pick.

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
nomorekids said:

espion just said that Radulov "does not have kovalev's skill," and when you consider that it's arguable (and has been argued, even when he was with the Rangers for his first time) that Kovalev has the most pure skill of any player in the game, that's not much of an insult, and it's surely not "undermining" Radulov as a prospect.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Genghis Keon said:
espion just said that Radulov "does not have kovalev's skill," and when you consider that it's arguable (and has been argued, even when he was with the Rangers for his first time) that Kovalev has the most pure skill of any player in the game, that's not much of an insult, and it's surely not "undermining" Radulov as a prospect.

that's all well and good...but why is it immediately dismissable to suggest that one player is evocative of another...but no one cries foul when things like "kyle chipchura is the next trevor linden" are said? Linden has done as much for leadership as Kovalev has for goalscoring...so what makes Chipchura so special...while Radulov isn't?

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
nomorekids said:
that's all well and good...but why is it immediately dismissable to suggest that one player is evocative of another...but no one cries foul when things like "kyle chipchura is the next trevor linden" are said? Linden has done as much for leadership as Kovalev has for goalscoring...so what makes Chipchura so special...while Radulov isn't?

I see what you're saying, but I think you're reading too much into it. If you look through espion's posts in this thread, I don't think he ever said that Kovalev and Radulov aren't comaparable per se (he says he's not there yet); I think he just did a poor job of defending his position that Kovalev is more skilled than Radulov. Maybe I'm being too charitable, but maybe I'm not; who knows?

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Well that is pretty brutal for Chipchura, I hope he makes a full recovery.

As a selfish Flames fan though I can't get to upset. This now means more ice time for Aki Seitsonen. In the first game with Kyle out Aki gets 3 goals and 2 assists. Boo ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad