Kyle Chipchura Appreciation Thread

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
As Chip signed his KHL deal today, timing felt right for an appreciation thread. Yeah, some of you may have spit up your coffee or thinking of the most sarcastic comments possible, but a quick reminder that:

While Chip may have been the poster child of the 2014-2015 tankathon....he was also a loyal, hardworking and fully committed teammate which obviously built DT's trust in him.

He played whatever role was asked of him....4th line C/LW grinder, 2nd line C, Policeman (getting his head knocked in more times than not) or sit in the Press Box for long stretches of time.

He was very committed to the community and was among the most charitable players on the team. When he was on waivers a couple years ago he still worked the Coyotes Charities Habit for Humanity event.

A big THANK YOU Chip, wish you all the best!

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Although I've been highly critical about chip over the years (here and elsewhere), most of it was in jest. He was a good character guy and a versatile forward. The problem wasn't him, but in a certain here-to-not-be-mentioned-by-name coach that relied too heavily on him.

He served us well and I hope he does well overseas next season and that it works out for him in the long run (whether in the K or elsewhere).

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
He was a good versatile 4th liner when he played the right style. When he was played above the 4th line he'd dangle his way to turnover city.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Good idea for a thread. I say that with 100% sincerity.

Echoing the above comments, it's difficult to critize his effort level. He only really looked out of place when he was thrust into a role he shouldn't have been in the first place.

Surprised he couldn't find a grinder gig in the NHL. In any event, best of luck to him in the KHL.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I was very glad when we signed him the first time. I was pissed when he was sent down. I was glad when he earned a call-up and played his rear-end off hard enough to earn another contract with the team.

Since this is the appreciation thread, I'll skip over everything that happened after that second contract he signed with us. I'll just say that I'm glad we've reached a point, in terms of depth, and young talent, that we didn't have to sign him again. And I wish him luck in all of his endeavors.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I thought Chip played hard all the time and was asked to do more than he was capable of at certain times. For that he received criticism on this board. I wish him well, good guy with all the tools, just couldn't put it all together in the NHL.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I appreciate that Chip did on occasion stand up for his teammates and played without complaint. Seemed like a good room guy too.

I didn't like him anywhere other than the 4th line but for that misuse, I blame Tippet.

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
If he only would have kept his game simple and didn't try to do too much every dang shift, he would have been a very solid 4th liner. I wish I had a nickel for every time he made a solid play to keep possession alive and instead of passing the puck to a open teammate he would hold onto the puck and turn it over. Smh

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
He was a good versatile 4th liner when he played the right style. When he was played above the 4th line he'd dangle his way to turnover city.

This is exactly how I felt about him. I thought he was given too much TOI for the kind of role player he was for us, but when a coach taps you on the shoulder and says "you're on next" do you really expect someone to say no? That wasn't his fault. He became kind of a scapegoat because he was being misused through no fault of his own.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
This is exactly how I felt about him. I thought he was given too much TOI for the kind of role player he was for us, but when a coach taps you on the shoulder and says "you're on next" do you really expect someone to say no? That wasn't his fault. He became kind of a scapegoat because he was being misused through no fault of his own.

Imo it looked like he tried to change his game when he played up a line or two, and that's when he got turnover happy. It could also be that it was just increased ice time and better opposing dmen. Either way not his fault, you're right coach says go you go.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Haha I'm encouraged that we didn't resign Tippett's security blankets (yet...)

Chip was a fine bottom of the lineup player. It wasn't his fault his coach fell for him, but I'm glad we're apparently moving on.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00