Recalled/Assigned: Kyington and Lomberg

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Oliver looked decent yesterday.
I didn't notice him too much outside of a good offensive jump (which is what you want from your depth D). He didn't play much, but seemed like a perfectly viable 6D for us.

This is a good problem for the Flames to have, having 4 guys under 22 years old who look like they'll be NHLers at the least.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Oliver looked decent yesterday.
I didn't notice him too much outside of a good offensive jump (which is what you want from your depth D). He didn't play much, but seemed like a perfectly viable 6D for us.

This is a good problem for the Flames to have, having 4 guys under 22 years old who look like they'll be NHLers at the least.

I think he played 13+ minutes if I remember correctly. Though I'm too lazy to google search :rolleyes:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think he played 13+ minutes if I remember correctly. Though I'm too lazy to google search :rolleyes:

Yeah, 13 or so in a blowout.
It was like 3-4 minutes below the next player I'm sure.

Good on him. He needs a few games like this so people can forget about the Oliver Adventure Time blueline plays.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Anybody know how long Valimaki will be out? I'll hold off on my judgement of Kylington until he gets a few games under his belt. It's not like he spent the last game defending against an offensive powerhouse. Next up is Dallas and then LA after that.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Anybody know how long Valimaki will be out? I'll hold off on my judgement of Kylington until he gets a few games under his belt. It's not like he spent the last game defending against an offensive powerhouse. Next up is Dallas and then LA after that.

He should draw back in against Dallas, I had read he was more out for a maintenance day than a legitimate injury.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Didn't notice him bar once when he whiffed on shot in a good shooting position but we played good defensively so must be a positive sign.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I really like Lomberg. He could take a longer track to the NHL, but if he makes it full time, I think he might be around for a while. I do like that when he often draws in, he takes it upon himself to pester the other team and then attempt to draw a coincidental penalty with a player far higher than he in terms of calibre.

I've been mulling to myself whether Lomberg could inadvertently end up being a modern goon. I read a Pat Verbeek comparison to him, but other than perhaps personality, I don't see the resemblance in skill. However, if Lomberg was a bottom 6 player who is skilled enough to be a nuisance without being a liability, yet also smart enough to drag the opposition's talent into the penalty box, that's going to be a hell of a valuable player to have going forward. I'm leaning more towards wondering if his potential is something along the lines of Sean Avery without without the controversies and far less d-baggery.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I really like Lomberg - he's like Theo Fleury without the offense. But he'll climb a ladder to fight anyone.

Did Theo ever climb a ladder to fight anyone? He and Tie Domi just dragged guys to their level, or took them out at the torso, didn't they?

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Lomberg plays too hard to ever be an NHL regular, love the heart, but the talent level just isn't there to sustain a viable NHL career. He either has to go balls to the wall, or he's useless. Solid plug and play option though.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I think it was Burke that said Lomberg's motor is always running. If I have a criticism of our 4th line its that they don't always bring energy and a hard forecheck. I'm not sure why. Maybe its because our depth allows us to use players that might normally play higher in the lineup in a 4 line role.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Looks like Oliver might get a longer look, apparently Juuso is week to week.
I'm good with that. It will give the Flames brass a better opportunity to assess his talent when pitted against NHL caliber players. A decision will have to be made this summer as to what to do with Kylington. You can't keep him down on the farm forever. This is his 4th season playing for Stockton.
I fully expect to see him wearing the flaming C next October.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Did Theo ever climb a ladder to fight anyone? He and Tie Domi just dragged guys to their level, or took them out at the torso, didn't they?

Domi would have climbed a ladder...Fleury would have just turtled. He wasn't really a scrapper unless in a scrum, then he'd get his licks in.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Domi would have climbed a ladder...Fleury would have just turtled. He wasn't really a scrapper unless in a scrum, then he'd get his licks in.

Hmm... odd. My memory of the two guys is a little opposite. Domi would run and Fleury was the maniac that attacked the opposition. Maybe it was more along the lines of Domi always getting the direct attention of the opposition's giant goon who was like a foot taller than he (as he played more a goon style), whereas Fleury would just throw his body surprising his opponents and when the opposition sent a goon after him, he'd take that opportunity to run off with the puck and try to score (Skill and sandpaper)?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I'm good with that. It will give the Flames brass a better opportunity to assess his talent when pitted against NHL caliber players. A decision will have to be made this summer as to what to do with Kylington. You can't keep him down on the farm forever. This is his 4th season playing for Stockton.
I fully expect to see him wearing the flaming C next October.

4th season is an odd way to put it considering he more or less had a loophole to even be there that long. He's 21. 21 year olds are on the farm all the time.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
4th season is an odd way to put it considering he more or less had a loophole to even be there that long. He's 21. 21 year olds are on the farm all the time.
Good point. He's been playing for Stockton for so long for some reason I thought he was older.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It’s not good that Juuso is hurt, but it’s a part of the game. The positive side of this that we will get a closer look at Chilltown. I have a feeling he will play better in the NHL with better players than he did in Stockton.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
It’s not good that Juuso is hurt, but it’s a part of the game. The positive side of this that we will get a closer look at Chilltown. I have a feeling he will play better in the NHL with better players than he did in Stockton.

Learning to work through injury and utilize the org resources for recovery is part of being a pro. At least I seem to recall reading an article like this in the past. I think it might have been in the Monahan surgery article.

Don't prefer our guys get injured, but at least it's now and not late season if it's a good lesson to learn.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I assume we only have 6 healthy d-men on the Flames roster? Nobody is eating popcorn?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad