Recalled/Assigned: Kyington and Lomberg

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009

Unlikely to see line-up changes but they need guys who can play if something happens probably a little more concerned about D with Czarnik ready to go so no Mangiapane

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Lomberg's development is the most disposable and will not likely play a minute. Lomberg is also waiver exempt. Kylington on the other hand may be played a game if he practices well for the team. The brass knows to keep Kylington developing and happy he has to see that the Flames see him in their line-up.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Lomberg's development is the most disposable and will not likely play a minute. Lomberg is also waiver exempt. Kylington on the other hand may be played a game if he practices well for the team. The brass knows to keep Kylington developing and happy he has to see that the Flames see him in their line-up.

Agree. Lomberg is most likely just a warm body, but this gives a good chance to see Kylington and give Andersson or Välimäki a game off.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Looked like they were called up. I understand Kylington but why Lomberg?
Good question. I asked the same thing in the gdt thread. If anyone deserves a call up it's Mangiapane or Rychel. Don't understand why Lomberg over those two.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Good question. I asked the same thing in the gdt thread. If anyone deserves a call up it's Mangiapane or Rychel. Don't understand why Lomberg over those two.

Because either of those guys would likely just be eating popcorn. Lomberg is a popcorn muncher, that’s why he got the call.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's simple; Mangiapane is injured while Rychel is terrible. Upper management clearly likes Lomberg and the intangibles he brings; they call him up a lot. Kylington was called up because Prout was just sent down on a conditioning stint so he could get some games in. And none of the other options down there (Valiev, Healey, Hogstrum) are actually viable at this point.

On a related note, the goaltending situation down in Stockton is absolutely fascinating. In seven games, Nick Schnieder has a 1.57 goals against average and a 0.948 save percentage. Good for second in the entire league for qualifying goalies.

On the other hand, Jon Gillies is dead last at 53rd overall, sporting a 4.77 GAA and a 0.848 save percentage in 13 games.

Parsons has terrible numbers too but has only three games played (currently injured).

Highlights from the last game (Gillies pulled after letting in 5):

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
It's simple; Mangiapane is injured while Rychel is terrible. Upper management clearly likes Lomberg and the intangibles he brings; they call him up a lot. Kylington was called up because Prout was just sent down on a conditioning stint so he could get some games in. And none of the other options down there (Valiev, Healey, Hogstrum) are actually viable at this point.

On a related note, the goaltending situation down in Stockton is absolutely fascinating. In seven games, Nick Schnieder has a 1.57 goals against average and a 0.948 save percentage. Good for second in the entire league for qualifying goalies.

On the other hand, Jon Gillies is dead last at 53rd overall, sporting a 4.77 GAA and a 0.848 save percentage in 13 games.

Parsons has terrible numbers too but has only three games played (currently injured).

Lomberg is also terrible. The only skill I can remember he is good at is taking a lot of punches on the head.

Anyway looks like Gillies days are numbered. Another Flames drafted goalie in the record book. Tod Button should never draft a goalie again. I do not think he knows what a goalie prospect is supposed to look like.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Gillies is probably no more valuable than an FA signing at this point. I think it's 50/50 on whether they decide to re-sign him.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Gillies still has a tangible shot at becoming our back-up next year since I doubt Smith is coming back. His contract expires at the end of the 19-20 season so he'll get his chance in pre-season again, maybe even this season if Smith can't put it back together.

Gillies is an interesting case. It was prettty clear that management was grooming him for the starter's role but he played his way out of it each time he was given the opportunity.

Rittich was always the plan B guy they didn't really want to rely on because he wasn't drafted by the team and carried the stigma of being an overage Euro player that would go home at the first sight of adversity. People were already packing his bags to Stockton after pre-season

This, if anything, is a case study in why goalies should never be considered top 5 prospects. And if they are, it tells you that your prospect pool is worse than you think it is.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Didn't realize that Mangiapane was injured. Lomberg has 2 goals 4 assists in 18 games.
Seems to me that there are at least a couple of better options than Lomberg... Foo with 5 goals/ 5 assists, Gawdwin with 6 goals/ 2 assists.

Rychel isn't terrible as he is in 2nd place on roster in scoring with 9 goals and 6 assists.. but I'm not sure if he can be brought up and then sent down again without having to go through waivers. He's not waiver exempt. Quine by the way, is leading the team with 5 goals and 11 assists in 11 games but he also isn't waiver exempt.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Gillies still has a tangible shot at becoming our back-up next year since I doubt Smith is coming back. His contract expires at the end of the 19-20 season so he'll get his chance in pre-season again, maybe even this season if Smith can't put it back together.

Gillies is an interesting case. It was prettty clear that management was grooming him for the starter's role but he played his way out of it each time he was given the opportunity.

Rittich was always the plan B guy they didn't really want to rely on because he wasn't drafted by the team and carried the stigma of being an overage Euro player that would go home at the first sight of adversity. People were already packing his bags to Stockton after pre-season

This, if anything, is a case study in why goalies should never be considered top 5 prospects. And if they are, it tells you that your prospect pool is worse than you think it is.
The only reason why Rittich stayed with the Flames and Gillies was sent down was because Gillies was waiver exempt. I suspect that if both were waiver exempt Gillies would have stayed up, for the reasons you've given. I do think that Rittich played better over all than Gillies last year.

Glad to see Rittich do so well here. If he keeps up the outstanding play he could very well be the Flames #1 goalie for years to come. Gillies, on the other hand has been f***ing terrible. Not sure what his problem is but he sure has fumbled the ball on multiple occasions. If he keeps playing the way he has I can see him being sent to the ECHL Kansas City Mavericks while Schneider and Parsons stay, once Parsons is healthy.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Didn't realize that Mangiapane was injured. Lomberg has 2 goals 4 assists in 18 games.
Seems to me that there are at least a couple of better options than Lomberg... Foo with 5 goals/ 5 assists, Gawdwin with 6 goals/ 2 assists.

Rychel isn't terrible as he is in 2nd place on roster in scoring with 9 goals and 6 assists.. but I'm not sure if he can be brought up and then sent down again without having to go through waivers. He's not waiver exempt. Quine by the way, is leading the team with 5 goals and 11 assists in 11 games but he also isn't waiver exempt.
I think they wanted a Left shot player to come up, since Fro is a left shot and 3 of the current bottom 6 wingers play RW (Czarnik, Neal, Hathaway).

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I watched a Peters interview after yesterday's practice. Valimaki has a low body injury (foot) and might not play. So the Shill might get a chance. What Peters said about Lomberg was interesting. He brings a forecheck game and a lot of speed. To me that makes him perfect for a 4th line role as opposed to more skilled players like Mangiapane or Dube for that matter.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

This sounds like a "misinformed fan projection", not a reflection of what management had planned. There were multiple situations where the org showed an inclination towards Rittich. Rittich was the one who was in net for every playoff win in 2017 ahl playoffs. Treliving had an interview where he talked about how it's often the unheralded goalies who end up becoming NHL starters, not the top prospects. Then last year Rittich was called up when Lack was sent down. And all last summer Treliving showed confidence that we had solid backup goaltending, when all the fans and media were in panic about it. He even said that Rittich would be better for it after the experience of being a temporary starter, in stark contrast to those who think Rittich dropped the ball for the rest of his career.

As for preseason, only fans put stock into it for goalies - organizations understand that the players out there are prone to huge mistakes, and that getting back to NHL speed also takes some time. The fact that Rittich was left behind to "start" more preseason games should have been taken as an indication that they wanted him getting more icetime in preseason to get his game back to normal, instead it was taken by some fans as "Gillies is the annointed backup".

The Flames would not have signed Rittich to an NHL deal they didn't think he could be a controbuting NHLer. Of course he had to prove himself, but he did long before mosf fans caught on who were still pumping Gillies.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
This sounds like a "misinformed fan projection", not a reflection of what management had planned. There were multiple situations where the org showed an inclination towards Rittich. Rittich was the one who was in net for every playoff win in 2017 ahl playoffs. Treliving had an interview where he talked about how it's often the unheralded goalies who end up becoming NHL starters, not the top prospects. Then last year Rittich was called up when Lack was sent down. And all last summer Treliving showed confidence that we had solid backup goaltending, when all the fans and media were in panic about it. He even said that Rittich would be better for it after the experience of being a temporary starter, in stark contrast to those who think Rittich dropped the ball for the rest of his career.

As for preseason, only fans put stock into it for goalies - organizations understand that the players out there are prone to huge mistakes, and that getting back to NHL speed also takes some time. The fact that Rittich was left behind to "start" more preseason games should have been taken as an indication that they wanted him getting more icetime in preseason to get his game back to normal, instead it was taken by some fans as "Gillies is the annointed backup".

The Flames would not have signed Rittich to an NHL deal they didn't think he could be a controbuting NHLer. Of course he had to prove himself, but he did long before mosf fans caught on who were still pumping Gillies.
Rittich did all those things because he was playing better than Gillies. Much better.. But last year I still believe that Flames management thought Gillies was the better prospect out of the two. Rittich only got those opportunities because he out played Gilles. Gillies was still their guy.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Rittich did all those things because he was playing better than Gillies. Much better.. But last year I still believe that Flames management thought Gillies was the better prospect out of the two. Rittich only got those opportunities because he out played Gilles. Gillies was still their guy.

I think the Flames have given Gillies many chances and opportunities, he hasn’t been able to do much with it. I think they still like him, but man he’s been having a rough year.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
So Kylington...Looked pretty damn good to me, gonna be interesting to see what we do on defense next year, cause this kid is gonna be an NHLer one way or another.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Kylington didn't look out of place, that's for sure. If anything he needs to add a few pounds to his frame so he can take the rigours of the game a bit better. Valimaki and Andersson both have the weight.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think he had a skate problem his first couple shifts which really hurt his first impression, but after that was fixed, I really only noticed him positively. Time to trade Valimaki?

....he said sarcastically

Reactions: Corpus X

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->