Kuznetzov vs Tavares vs Stamkos

Kuznetzov vs Tavares vs Stamkos

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Honestly i would take Tavares i think but the bolded is a little stupid.... He has returned from the bad leg injury which obviously was a problem for him some seasons ago. Stammer has been fantastic the last 2 seasons. Going 4 years back obviously hurts his numbers because he had to come back from an awful injury. Prior to his second injury last season he was a beast and had a great (and injury free) season this year. I know its not the same injury but Oscar Lindberg could barely skate out there for a couple of months when he returned from a hip surgery, took him a long time to skate close to normal again.
Last two seasons:
Tavares: 0,94ppg
Stamkos 1,12ppg

My initial post was about how Tavares has typically been viewed as similar or better than Stamkos since the 14-15 season, since the poster was suggesting that the only reason Tavares is winning now is due to fans wanting him to come to their team with the prospect of free agency. Hence the post was specifically about how they compared since then, to show my point. So no, not stupid.

Regardless, Stamkos was great for 17 games last season then got injured again. This year he wasn't back to his previous normal again either. He was definitely better this year than in '15 or '16, but I wouldn't call him great compared to what he used to be. After a quick start, he slowed down and only finished 12th in scoring, when pre-leg injury Stamkos was always top 5, and he had less than 30 goals, particularly struggling to score at even strength. He had 86 points in 78 games, or a 90 point pace, while Tavares had 84 in a full season. An extra 5-6 points is nothing, especially when Stamkos played with a 100 point scorer.

Combining the two seasons is disingenuous because scoring was up this year with them both healthy, and Tavares played almost a full season last year in a lower scoring environment, at his worst pace in years, and Stamkos only played a small sample in that lower scoring environment at his best level in years. So what we actually have is them being close or Tavares being better over each of the past 4 seasons, except for a 17 game sample size. If Stamkos had played this year like he played from '10 to '13, I would agree with you that it's likely he just took awhile to round into form, but he didn't.

Last edited:

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
My initial post was about how Tavares has typically been viewed as similar or better than Stamkos since the 14-15 season, since the poster was suggesting that the only reason Tavares is winning now is due to fans wanting him to come to their team with the prospect of free agency. Hence the post was about how they compared since then, not comparing them in general. So no, not stupid.

Regardless, Stamkos was great for 17 games last season then got injured again. This year he wasn't normal again either. He was definitely better this year but I wouldn't call him great compared to what he used to be. After a quick start, he slowed down and only finished 12th in scoring, when pre-leg injury Stamkos was always top 5, and he had less than 30 goals, particularly struggling to score at even strength. He had 86 points in 78 games, or a 90 point pace, while Tavares had 84 in a full season. An extra 5-6 points is nothing, especially when Stamkos played with a 100 point scorer.

Combining the two seasons is disingenuous because scoring was up this year with them both healthy, and Tavares played the majority of last year at his worst pace in years, and Stamkos only played a small sample in that lower scoring environment at his best level in years. If Stamkos had played this year like he played from '10 to '13, I would agree with you that it's likely he just took awhile to round into form, but he didn't. The only time Stamkos has scored at a significantly higher pace in the past 4 seasons was in a 17 game sample size.
Sure, but Stamkos in his prime was miles ahead of Tavares` best season. 60 goals and almost 100 points... Stamkos scoring 60 goals is up there among the great goalscoring seasons ever. Tavares has never scored 90 points or 40 goals.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Stamkos hasn't been that player since he broke his leg. The past 4 seasons these are their stat line:

Stamkos: 254 GP, 115 G, 127 A, 242 PTS
Tavares: 319 GP, 136 G, 170 A, 306 PTS

Over 82 games these average out to:

Stamkos: 37 G, 41 A, 78 PTS
Tavares: 35 G, 44 A, 79 PTS

And if Stamkos is not outproducing Tavares, I think a lot of people prefer Tavares' more rounded offensive game.

It's closer than I thought but here's some recent polls with them:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/tavares-vs-stamkos.2424545/
(52.6% Tavares)

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/stamkos-vs-tavares-vs-giroux.2431931/
(52.9% Tavares, 21.2% Stamkos)

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/tavares-vs-stamkos.2465465/
(56.3% Stamkos)

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/who-is-the-4th-best-centre.2443075/

(Tavares 34.9%, Stamkos 8%)

I think if anything is influencing the poll it's the poor playoff reputation of Stamkos that's fresh in people's minds (as well as Kuznetsov's success), not Tavares' pending free agency

^This. Stammer proved his worth when he was injured and the Lightning still dominated without him. Tough to argue in favour of Stamkos when Kuch was a top 3 forward without and with him. NYI would be even more trash than they already are without JT carrying that whole damn franchise. And as this post mentioned, it's not even close who has the bigger offensive tool-box. Pre-injury Stammer was known for his one-timer and that's pretty much the only thing he was better than JT at. Now? I don't know if he is better than JT at anything.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Sure, but Stamkos in his prime was miles ahead of Tavares` best season. 60 goals and almost 100 points... Stamkos scoring 60 goals is up there among the great goalscoring seasons ever. Tavares has never scored 90 points or 40 goals.

I agree. I remember in the middle of that run, some Islander fans tried to claim Tavares was better because he did more all over the ice, had a larger offensive toolbox, and was better at helping his linemates, but it was ridiculous because Stamkos' production was simply too good. I'm not sure we'll ever see that type of Stamkos production again though for more than short stretches, which is why that argument now holds some traction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->