Kuznetsov >>> Tarasenko?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I think Kuznetsov could use some good coaching. I thought his play away from the puck was a little weak which is why he seemed to pop in and out of games. Hopefully the Caps nip that in the bud and he becomes more Malkin and less Semin.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
No disrespect to Kuznetsov who looked great, but Tarasenko is a far superior player IMO.

The thing that makes Tarasenko so special is his vision/calmness. He is so good at drawing in opponents and finding open team-mates particularly the dmen.

Pieterangelo and Johnson are going to love playing with this guy.

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC
A little off-topic, but you must not have watched the first couple games of the tournament. To say Tarasenko is less-creative and not as dynamic offensively is a huge reach. Believe Kuznetsov is a better prospect, by all means, but at least get your reasoning right. Tarasenko created the vast majority of high-quality scoring chances for Russia in the first 2 games due to his ability to create space, protect the puck, and find open teammates at will. Seems like the epitome of dynamic.

It's not though. That doesnt take away from the fact that Tarasenko is an awesome prospect, but there are myriad people that think Kuznetsov is the more dynamic and offensively gifted of the two.

Ron Wilson: Nobody seems to want to give the Russians any credit for what they did," said Wilson. "From everything I can see, I know Brayden Schenn played great, but the most dynamic player in that whole tournament was (Yevgeni) Kuznetsov. When he decided he was going to make a difference in the game, he certainly could, he turned the switch on. ...

"He was unbelievable, almost unstoppable when he got going. He looked like an (Alex) Ovechkin or an (Alexander) Semin."
---------------------------------------------------
“He really has that high-end Russian skill. I don’t want to say (Ilya) Kovalchuk or (Alex) Ovechkin because that’s not right, but he is that style of player.â€

- A scout in The Hockey News Draft Preview 2010

-----------------------------------------------

After the U18s per Joyce: "And it was Kuznetsov even more than Tarasenko that scouts were impressed by at the u-18s. Scouts can talk about signability not meaning much when they draw up their lists and it might be true. But signability is definitely in there when they're speak into the microphone. Are teams too spooked to draft them? Some definitely consider them radioactive. Same holds, slightly less so, for Burmistrov and Kabanov."

----------------------------------------------

And from fellow board members (disparate positions on the Kuznetsov/Tarasenko matter, but an interesting read nonetheless):
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=727485

Again, I'm not trying to denigrate Tarasenko AT ALL, I think he's a fantastic prospect and the Blues are lucky to have him, but it's not a reach at all to say that Kuznetsov is the more dynamic offensively between the two.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
It's not though. That doesnt take away from the fact that Tarasenko is an awesome prospect, but there are myriad people that think Kuznetsov is the more dynamic and offensively gifted of the two.

Ron Wilson: Nobody seems to want to give the Russians any credit for what they did," said Wilson. "From everything I can see, I know Brayden Schenn played great, but the most dynamic player in that whole tournament was (Yevgeni) Kuznetsov. When he decided he was going to make a difference in the game, he certainly could, he turned the switch on. ...

"He was unbelievable, almost unstoppable when he got going. He looked like an (Alex) Ovechkin or an (Alexander) Semin."
---------------------------------------------------
“He really has that high-end Russian skill. I don’t want to say (Ilya) Kovalchuk or (Alex) Ovechkin because that’s not right, but he is that style of player.”

- A scout in The Hockey News Draft Preview 2010

-----------------------------------------------

After the U18s per Joyce: "And it was Kuznetsov even more than Tarasenko that scouts were impressed by at the u-18s. Scouts can talk about signability not meaning much when they draw up their lists and it might be true. But signability is definitely in there when they're speak into the microphone. Are teams too spooked to draft them? Some definitely consider them radioactive. Same holds, slightly less so, for Burmistrov and Kabanov."

----------------------------------------------

And from fellow board members (disparate positions on the Kuznetsov/Tarasenko matter, but an interesting read nonetheless):
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=727485

Again, I'm not trying to denigrate Tarasenko AT ALL, I think he's a fantastic prospect and the Blues are lucky to have him, but it's not a reach at all to say that Kuznetsov is the more dynamic offensively between the two.

You can find just as many people that say Tarasenko is more skilled and dynamic also. It's pretty split among people.

sillygoose

Jan 15, 2009
Do any Caps fans know of a timetable on Kuznetsov's departure from Russia to play in NA?

Luckily he stays in the Eastern Conference either way :nod:

he has one more year left on his contract(i think) and if i recall he said over the summer something about his contract being bought out or something by the caps. or they could.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
he has one more year left on his contract(i think) and if i recall he said over the summer something about his contract being bought out or something by the caps. or they could.

I remember it being more of a "if they thought it was best for me, I would move to North America and buy out my contract".

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Tarasenko looked significantly more dangerous to me. More shifty in terms of being able to create space for himself, call it whatever you want but defenders have trouble sticking with him. Better shot (he has a sick wrister/snapper), stronger on the puck, and just seemed like the more creative, harder to stop player. Tarasenko reminds me of Radulov, I feel he's very likely to be a good NHLer, Kuznetsov is more of a wild card IMO.

sillygoose

Jan 15, 2009
I remember it being more of a "if they thought it was best for me, I would move to North America and buy out my contract".

yea that was it.

also as it has been pointed out for kuznetsov, he couldn't play his particular style of hockey, or atleast go to the net because of his shoulders. and he is aparently someone who does that quite often normally.

Vladimir Tarasenko*

I don't wanna create a meaningless bump here, but I remember reading this thread before I made an account, and I was very surprised by the comments here. IMO Tarasenko is at a higher level then Kuznetsov

Here is some video from the gold medal game vs. Canada:

Look @ 3:48, Tarasenko makes a nice simple play to pass it up to Sobchenko, and creates a good scoring chance.

(It should also be noted that Tarasenko was killing penalties for team Russia)

@ 4:03, Russia scores, Tarasenko doesn't have a huge impact on the play but he is still on the ice when the goal is scored.

@ 5:40, Okay, Kuznetsov made a really nice play here and a great pass to Tarasenko, and Tarasenko finishes.

@ 6:41, Tarasenko beats out two canadian defense-man to get the puck through and makes a nick pass in the slot, creating another great scoring chance.

And then shortly after, the same shift, @ 7:02, Tarasenko makes a great play and another great pass in the slot, and gives Russia what ends up being the game winning goal for the gold medal.

Just watching him play during the tournament you could tell he was a step above everybody else on his team and above most players even on team Canada.

Some notable plays in this video is @ 2:21, and @ 2:40. I think what is so noticable about Tarasenko is the completeness of his game at such a young age, and the fact that he has amazing finish, and strong instincts. Also, skip to 3:28, that goal is basically done because of Tarasenko's hustle, he knocks the puck to his teammate, gets it back and finishes.

Anyways, I hate to sound like a huge homer just boosting Tarasenko (especially with my username lol) but I remember seeing this thread before I made an account and I wanted to say something but I didn't make an account lol. So yeah, feel free to disagree :)

PortlandWinterHawks

Dec 4, 2010
both are absolute studs that were drafted way later than they were supposed to be because of the russian factor.
I would say Kutznetsov and Tarasenko are top 12 in terms of talent in their draft class.
Kutznetsov has great puck winning ability though not physical he has datsyuk like qualities. He's shown to be clutch in the world juniors. Datsyuk-semin hybrid.
Tarasenko is just an absolute tank, a rare breed of star. Think Ovie-lite.

Vladimir Tarasenko*

both are absolute studs that were drafted way later than they were supposed to be because of the russian factor.
I would say Kutznetsov and Tarasenko are top 12 in terms of talent in their draft class.
Kutznetsov has great puck winning ability though not physical he has datsyuk like qualities. He's shown to be clutch in the world juniors. Datsyuk-semin hybrid.
Tarasenko is just an absolute tank, a rare breed of star. Think Ovie-lite.

Another good comparison I think is Marian Hossa. I think he has similar offensive potential while possessing a very complete game.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
I don't understand the minute this topic pops up it becomes some weird "my Russian prospect is better"'pissing contest. Can anyone just have an objective discussion about some exciting players???

They are both ELITE players who are going to enjoy a great deal of success for their NHL clubs. Honestly to me they don't have a lot in common other than playing on the same team.

Maybe it just me but they are completely different players. Kustenov is desptively quick, great hands and can beat anyone his age one on one. He's a prototypical play making center, good vision and the uncanny ability to find the open man when most wouldn't be able to see the play let alone execute it.

Tarasenko on the other hand just has "it". I had really only seen his highlight videos(which are sick) buy after seeing him at juniors he has game breaking ability. He pulls a street hockey play against just about any opponent I've seen. When he steps on the ice he makes an impact usually leading to a scoring chance or a momentum shifting play. Seeing him play a whole 60 minutes was a joy everytime he touched the puck I would be on the edge of my seat waiting for an amazing play. He create space for him and his teamates, great patience he let's the play come to him and has a deadly shot. Also I think he is an underrated passer.

Both will be great I just see Tarasenko as a future star.

Also to the gentleman who posted some quotes about Kustenov, there just as many about Taraesnko, kind of a lame arguement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad