Kuznetsov >>> Tarasenko?

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
From what I saw Kuznetsov seems like that guy who can turn it on and take games over, whereas Tarasenko is a guy you notice because it seemed like every time he touched the puck something was going to happen. It's tough for me to say which is better only having a small sample size of viewing them but I'll go with Tarasenko since he seemed to be more consistent.

frankielax

Nov 25, 2008
Los Angeles via STL
Just what the thread needed, a Pens fan posting a "lol wut" image! If only every thread could have a "lol wut" pic in it the level of discussion would be greatly enhanced. Don't feel compelled to type out a response to this post either. By all means, a "u mad" pic will suffice.

Stealth is a proud Blues fan; not Pens... and I don't see what the problem is. Stating that a player will be more successful because the team he might play for in the future might win more cups is a pretty baseless statement.

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia
Scored the game tying goal withh fresh broken ribs despite his coach trying to get him to pack it in, then he assisted on the game winner. Clutch !

" He is the best Captain of my life "

Now I am a bit biased, but Taresenko's intangables make him the better player IMO. Both are great but I would rather have Teresenko on my team (which hopefully we will next fall) .

You do realize Kuznetsov needs surgery on both his shoulders which is a little more serious then some broken ribs...And you make a big deal about Tarasenko scoring the game tying goal when Kuznetsov was the one who made the great play on that goal.

They both are very talented hockey players, and are putting up similar numbers in the KHL this season. When you have two players so closely matched I would take the center over the winger.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I think they are very close in ability.

Tarasenko might be bigger, but Kuznetsov is not a weakling.

Despite his size, Kuz is a pretty strong skater. There were several instances where bigger Canadian defenders were trying to push him off the puck and yet he was using his body very well to protect possession. And that wasn't just the case in that game.

nags

Sep 27, 2006
No way, Kauznetsov is great player, but Tarasenko's potential is elite. And all you Tarasenko bashers, do you know, that he played tournament through injury? In finals, Russians coach asked him to leave game because his ribs were damaged. But he refused leave the team and even scored game tying goal. He made all overhyped Canadians look like fools with his speed and skill. But yeah, according to HFboards Gudbranson (who was terrible) is TOP 3 talent and Tarasenko bordeline scoring line player :help:

What over-hyped Canadians are you referring to since the only players that I had heard of in any significant amount before this tournament were Schenn and Ellis? I think both of them played pretty darn good relative to their hype which wasn't a whole lot.

The real ultra-hyped Canadians in this age group are playing in the NHL.

Couturier was identified as a possible no. 1 in next year's draft. He just turned 18. The other players on Team Canada are not house-hold names. We know of a few of them because they have come from our region. But that is about it.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Kuznetsov has more upside skill wise. He's bigger (just skinnier right now), faster, and more creative. Tarasenko plays a style suited to the NHL, more north south but just isnt as dynamic offensively. Not sure how people cant see this. Tarasenko is a safer bet with lower upside, Kuznetsov more risky but with higher upside.

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC
Stealth is a proud Blues fan; not Pens... and I don't see what the problem is. Stating that a player will be more successful because the team he might play for in the future might win more cups is a pretty baseless statement.

My apologies to Stealth, he didn't deserve that aspersion (being called a Pens fan) cast on him if he doesn't have that taint (kidding Penguins fans.)

Anyway, my biggest problem wasn't the sentiment, it was the ridiculous picture he posted in lieu of an actual typed out response. The ***** are annoying. Whenever I see someone respond to something in essentially pictograph form it annoys me to no end.

Also, I wouldn't call the guy's post baseless when he literally provided a base to support his contention in that very post. He said that he thought that the Caps were in a better position to compete for Cups than the Blues primarily because of their superior talent offensively, while (in his words) maintaining a fairly equal defense to the Blues. Because of those factors he projects Kuznetsov to enjoy more team success than Tarasenko. Whether you agree with that or not, it's certainly not a baseless prediction.

mizzoublues29

Unregistered User
Apr 10, 2009
Columbia, MO
Do any Caps fans know of a timetable on Kuznetsov's departure from Russia to play in NA?

Luckily he stays in the Eastern Conference either way :nod:

MCI Center

Jul 28, 2009
Kuznetsov has more upside skill wise. He's bigger (just skinnier right now), faster, and more creative. Tarasenko plays a style suited to the NHL, more north south but just isnt as dynamic offensively. Not sure how people cant see this. Tarasenko is a safer bet with lower upside, Kuznetsov more risky but with higher upside.

This.

Kuznetsov even plays the puck with a wide-set stance a la Evgeni Malkin, he'll be one of those guys commentators claim will "grow into their frame." I'd expect Kuznetsov to have a similar start to his career as Semin though, while Tarasenko might enjoy some earlier individual success.

DwightKSchrute

Feb 11, 2009
Tarasenko has a more NHL playing style. I'd take the tougher, stockier player, and the skill is pretty equal.

Jaden Schwartz
and Vlad Tarasenko are both ELITE talent. Add that to the St. Louis D, and you have a future powerhouse.

Jaden Schwartz is a forward, he was playing the point on the powerplay tho.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
A few points (that have already been made):

- Kuznetsov is the youngest player on Team Russia (see point 3)
- He played with 2 bum shoulders
- He's got the kind of frame that will be able to take on weight (ala Malkin)

I'm sure McPhee is thrilled to have him.

darthvader

Jul 24, 2009
Jaden Schwartz is a forward, he was playing the point on the powerplay tho.

I think the point was, adding Schwartz and Tarasenko on offense to a young Blues team which already has talent in place on D will make them a powerhouse in the future.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Just what the thread needed, a Pens fan posting a "lol wut" image! If only every thread could have a "lol wut" pic in it the level of discussion would be greatly enhanced. Don't feel compelled to type out a response to this post either. By all means, a "u mad" pic will suffice.

Stealth is a Blues' fan, and the question implied by the posting of the "lol wut" image is valid.

DwightKSchrute

Feb 11, 2009
I think the point was, adding Schwartz and Tarasenko on offense to a young Blues team which already has talent in place on D will make them a powerhouse in the future.

Oh right on I see it now. My bad.
St.Louis is going to be pretty sick in the next couple years tho.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
You do realize Kuznetsov needs surgery on both his shoulders which is a little more serious then some broken ribs...And you make a big deal about Tarasenko scoring the game tying goal when Kuznetsov was the one who made the great play on that goal.

Try breathing with even one broken rib, much less two or more.

And Tarasenko made an equally-great play on the game-winning goal, so your point is?

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com

I wonder what Tarasenko did to you. You're always playing him down.

Mr Dangles

Made of 100% genuine star stuff.
Sep 23, 2008
Arizona
I see Tarasenko and Kuznetsov's potential as a poor man's Ovechkin and Malkin respectively. Tarasenko's the more solid prospect as well.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
No way, Kauznetsov is great player, but Tarasenko's potential is elite. And all you Tarasenko bashers, do you know, that he played tournament through injury? In finals, Russians coach asked him to leave game because his ribs were damaged. But he refused leave the team and even scored game tying goal. He made all overhyped Canadians look like fools with his speed and skill. But yeah, according to HFboards Gudbranson (who was terrible) is TOP 3 talent and Tarasenko bordeline scoring line player :help:

I'm pretty sure I heard Kuznetsov is getting surgery on BOTH his shoulders after the tournament, but yes Tarasenko is better.
I said before the draft he should be a top 3 pick.

Polaris

Cold as Ice
Feb 5, 2008
IL Side
From what little I've seen, they both look like top-notch, fantastic prospects. It's really hard to come up with a good argument as to why one is better than the other at this point.

I have a feeling that Kuznetsov will evolve into Washington's Johan Franzen. Not in style of play, but in the fact that both players step up in big games. He might be just what the doctor ordered to get Washingon over the playoff hump.

tim_*

I'm sure they'll have identical ratings in video games - thus this conversation is pointless.

Blues0307

May 25, 2009
St. Louis

A little off-topic, but you must not have watched the first couple games of the tournament. To say Tarasenko is less-creative and not as dynamic offensively is a huge reach. Believe Kuznetsov is a better prospect, by all means, but at least get your reasoning right. Tarasenko created the vast majority of high-quality scoring chances for Russia in the first 2 games due to his ability to create space, protect the puck, and find open teammates at will. Seems like the epitome of dynamic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->