Confirmed with Link: Kurtis MacDermid to Avalanche for 4th round pick, 2023.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Any of those 3 are worth about a 4th round pick right now, so I wouldn’t say it mattered. I think Macdermid was probably the most tradeable since he fits a unique and dying role in the league that some teams may need.

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
Meh. The Kings pick could have been better utilized as was noted above, but it's a future asset that can be included in a package for something greater in the future.

Moving on ...

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
The way I see it,GMRF made the deal to free up a roster spot for a UFA signing and besides Clague and or Grundstrom will be available when they don't crack the LA line up and sent down to Ontario Reign

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I agree with all of this. It just seems like, in a few small cases, we passed on having $10 for $5. None of the moves that I disagree with are going to dramatically, if at all, impact our ability to compete, but they're head scratchers nonetheless. A guy like Grundstrom really has productive 3rd liner written all over him and taking Mac only to dispose of him just frustrates me, because I feel like we went 90% on solid future moves but missed on a few that seem obvious.

On the one hand, griping over Grundstrom vs MacDermid is a good thing; it means I don't have anything worse to gripe over. On the other hand, it's just one of those things that's going to be a pet peeve for me. It's the same feeling as passing on the BPA in the draft to go for some off the board pick. It just gets under my skin lol

Even looking at our roster right now:

Jarnkrok - Gourde - Eberle
Donskoi - McCann - Appleton
Tanev - Geekie - Blackwell
- True - Bastian

Grundstrom could already slot on that 4th line, with the potential to grow into a third liner. I know we'll sign a couple of players and this will look different, but our call ups are Lind and Twarysnki right now. I'd have really liked Grundstrom as a 4th liner with upside or the 13th forward with an eye toward a bigger role in the future.
I see the Kraken being a player in UFA tomorrow...Landeskog,Danault,Savard or Hamilton

Reactions: LokiDog

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Francis also could have picked Dillon from WSH and turned him into a pair of 2nd rounders. What's he doing??
Selecting a goalie he wants to keep? You fill the roster first then take tradeable assets. No issues with picking Vanecek, and having a 1A/1B option in goal.

I'm going to expect they sign none of those 4, entirely because I don't want to be disappointed.
The team is under the salary floor so Francis has to sign somebody.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
That doesn't inspire me with a lot of confidence in the team's evaluations. MacDermid was an undrafted 27 year old with a career high of 45 games in a season who they obviously had no need for, so they flipped him for a 4th.

Grundstrom is a 23 year old former 2nd round pick who played 47 games this season and paced for about 20 points while registering over 100 hits. Clague is also a 23 year old former 2nd round pick who put up 6 points in 18 games and shows good promise as a puck mover (which we have one of). It doesn't take an analytics department or a team of scouts or geniuses to see that there's far better value in either of the 23 year old 2nd rounders than in MacDermid, and this trade proves that as well. It is a bit concerning.

Even if the roster wouldn't have room for Clague or Grundstrom, they're players who can still develop and have a role or be valuable as a trade chip down the line. They're young enough and have shown enough promise that their value likely increases. Appreciating assets vs depreciating assets. MacDermid was basically like throwing a pick away. Same with Quennville (UFA - can't trade him for anything) and Bayreuther (UFA - can't trade him for anything).

Both Grundstrom and Clague need to pass waivers next year to be sent to the AHL. There's a good chance someone picks them up and you lose them for nothing. With the LD you have on the team I can't see how Clague makes the opening night roster, Cholowski has shown more and he might not make the roster either. With Grundstrom it seems they have some free agents lined up so while it looks like he has a spot now he probably won't when the lineup is finalized. They may like kids like Lind, Bastian and True more.

Quenneville and Bayreuther seem like they'll be the key players Seattle sends to the AHL. Not really NHL quality but good vets to have around the young players they most likely sign the next few days. Chicago didn't have a lot to pick from so that pick wasn't gonna be much anyway. With Columbus they must not like the Domi injury, they have the injury reports from each team. Plus you have to pay him 6M cash and might not get a lot of games out of him. Stenlund seemed better but you can't keep all 30 on the roster.

Reactions: MindRiot

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Both Grundstrom and Clague need to pass waivers next year to be sent to the AHL. There's a good chance someone picks them up and you lose them for nothing. With the LD you have on the team I can't see how Clague makes the opening night roster, Cholowski has shown more and he might not make the roster either. With Grundstrom it seems they have some free agents lined up so while it looks like he has a spot now he probably won't when the lineup is finalized. They may like kids like Lind, Bastian and True more.

Quenneville and Bayreuther seem like they'll be the key players Seattle sends to the AHL. Not really NHL quality but good vets to have around the young players they most likely sign the next few days. Chicago didn't have a lot to pick from so that pick wasn't gonna be much anyway. With Columbus they must not like the Domi injury, they have the injury reports from each team. Plus you have to pay him 6M cash and might not get a lot of games out of him. Stenlund seemed better but you can't keep all 30 on the roster.

And you don't think Grundstrom or Clague could have netted more than a 2023 4th rounder?

MacDermid could have been lost on waivers, too.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
And you don't think Grundstrom or Clague could have netted more than a 2023 4th rounder?

MacDermid could have been lost on waivers, too.

No. Nedeljkovic only got a 3rd and he's much more proven than either. Young players who haven't broken out yet and no longer can be sent down without waivers don't hold a ton of value. Guys who punch each other in the face do. It's just how teams operate.

He could have but teams are more willing to pay a pick for players like MacDermid. Lots of teams have their own Clague or Grundstrom that they need to find a spot for. They are more likely to pass through waivers.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
No. Nedeljkovic only got a 3rd and he's much more proven than either. Young players who haven't broken out yet and no longer can be sent down without waivers don't hold a ton of value. Guys who punch each other in the face do. It's just how teams operate.

He could have but teams are more willing to pay a pick for players like MacDermid. Lots of teams have their own Clague or Grundstrom that they need to find a spot for. They are more likely to pass through waivers.

Exactly. Even moving Clague or Grundstrom would have been harder because every team has those players. Seattle does ffs. MacDermid moved fast, because he’s unique in this era. I’d rate this as a great move. If you’d told me before the expansion draft that we’d get a 4th for ANY of the LA picks I’d have been happy. That pick was a dead end from the start.

Reactions: MindRiot

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Goalie values are very different though. Aside from Jones, rarely do goalie trades cost much. Even Vezina winner Fleury had an uninspiring return.

Plus, the rights to Bernier went the other way.

You're happy with the trade, great. So far the Kraken have added 2-fourths, are under the cap, their prize UFA in Landeskog is re-signed and unavailable. Teams keep trading bad contracts with eachother, and Francis has so far been unsuccessful in "weaponizing their cap" and is losing opportunities to fill the many holes in this roster. He'll have to overpay someone in free agency just to get to the cap floor.

He still has time, but the collection of moves (and lack thereof) are very underwhelming and uninspiring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad