Kunlun Red Star 17/18: Keenan signing everyone

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Unfortunately, so far the new arena is still a mystery. I can't even find enough info to justify whether the Beijing Works' Gymnysiam is really the new arena for KRS, as speculated. The CCTV 5+ channel doesn't give much information, neither does KRS' official site (http://hcredstar.com).

As for the Beijing Works' Gymnysiam, it's supposed to have a capacity between 10k-15k. I hope the speculation is true, because it's only several kms away from my home. However, I have no idea what's going on there since I haven't been to there for quite a while. It's in a region full of embassies, restaurants, bars, discos, shopping malls, and traffic jam...
The arena should be next to Workers' Stadium.

tnsn78

China Bolt
Nov 7, 2017
And I've found some interesting news (in late october) about Zach Yuen. (Well, both in Chinese.)

Message 1:
Li Longmou, VP of KRS, said Yuen is demoted to Heilongjiang VHL team to better prepare for the national team, since most China national team players are playing there. (Well, I seriously doubt that...) It is also said that Yuen has agreed and will terminate current (one-way) contract with KRS to re-sign a two-way deal. The salary for Yuen will remain unchanged. Li also stated that it's possible that Yuen be recalled to the KHL team in the future.
Link: http://news.jstv.com/a/20171023/1508725176404.shtml

Message 2:
The message said maybe there's some problem between Yuen and Mike Keenan. However, the message give literally ZERO evidence to support the speculation.
Link: http://www.hao123.com/mid/357665129569600772

I don't regard these news as very reliable. However, it's really hard to find news about KRS. The chinese media don't have as much interest in hockey as in soccer, basketball or some other sports.

Last edited:
Reactions: AIREAYE

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
1. Keenan is control freak so whatever happens in Kunlun, most likely, he is behind it.
2. Keenan has also had a lot of problems with a lot of people over his life so it's only natural to assume he has problems in this case as well.
3. Keenan wants to run organisation in NHL tradition where sending people up and down constantly is fine. He has showed it with treatment of Mokin, Bellemore, O'Donnell, Makarov, etc.
4. If you don't want to change salary just put him on waivers, lets face it, nobody is claiming Zack Yuen.

So at the end of the day, this is Keenan not being happy with his play (that much is obvious) which resulted in some kind of bad blood between Yuen and Kunlun's organization due to a) promises given to Zack that he will play in the KHL; b) pushing him to sign for less money; c) Chinese people in organization being paranoid about him going through waivers because he is too important to NT program.

Overall, considering all the moves, Keenan was let lose and is slowly burning down the tree he is siting in, as expected. Lots of moves as usual, few of them make sense as usual, team is still losing and is out of the playoff spot even though, unlike last year's, this team is full of KHL stars.

tnsn78

China Bolt
Nov 7, 2017
1. Keenan is control freak so whatever happens in Kunlun, most likely, he is behind it.
2. Keenan has also had a lot of problems with a lot of people over his life so it's only natural to assume he has problems in this case as well.
3. Keenan wants to run organisation in NHL tradition where sending people up and down constantly is fine. He has showed it with treatment of Mokin, Bellemore, O'Donnell, Makarov, etc.
4. If you don't want to change salary just put him on waivers, lets face it, nobody is claiming Zack Yuen.

So at the end of the day, this is Keenan not being happy with his play (that much is obvious) which resulted in some kind of bad blood between Yuen and Kunlun's organization due to a) promises given to Zack that he will play in the KHL; b) pushing him to sign for less money; c) Chinese people in organization being paranoid about him going through waivers because he is too important to NT program.

Overall, considering all the moves, Keenan was let lose and is slowly burning down the tree he is siting in, as expected. Lots of moves as usual, few of them make sense as usual, team is still losing and is out of the playoff spot even though, unlike last year's, this team is full of KHL stars.

Yeah. The message itself provides no evidence but I tends to believe there's something between Yuen and Keenan.
Feel bad for Yuen. He's clearly expressed the willingness to play for China NT, and is already the fans' favorite player. Hope he won't feel too badly pissed and get a chance to return to the KHL team ASAP.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Well, Iron Mike is no longer GM, but retains the head coach position.

I'm seriously craving some KRS news. There's been next to nothing about what's going on with this team!

Also, where the hell is Zack Yuen? He's not playing for KRS Heilongjiang clearly...

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
I checked the VHL table for KRS's farm team and they're not doing well (the other Chinese team are in a play-off spot).

Will the whole franchise last after the Olympics in 2022?

Are there signs of a strategy to boost the team both on and off the ice?

I find the expansion to the east interesting particularly in KRS's struggles and at times fiasco situations.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
As I see it there probably are two primary conditions. Firstly that there are many enough Chinese players so that the team benefits the Chinese Olympic program, and secondly that the franchise proves its worth to the Chinese-Russian relations.

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
I guess they want to make it work since I read before a rumour of a team in Ulan Bator since real estate there was seen as the next big thing a few years ago. This I suppose would provide a close rivalry.

Just re-reading the older posts and as someone pointed out this season has been a car crash despite the number of good signings they made in the off-season. Seems to be a lot of disillusionment in the dressing room at times although I think (not sure) they have played better after Keenan's dismissal.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Seems to be a lot of disillusionment in the dressing room at times although I think (not sure) they have played better after Keenan's dismissal.
They haven't really. But at the same time, when Keenan was fired the team was out of the playoff race and getting dismantled.

Kinrade, who was supposed to be #1 D left in November, Wolski who was the only forward having a really good season in December. Some warm bodies brought in to replace them. Hellberg carries a massive load since they got rid of Karhunen, etc.

There isn't a whole lot of motivation to play for a team like that, I think.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->