Kunlun Red Star 17/18: Keenan signing everyone

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Its crazy! Every time my phone beeps - great who's he signed now?!

Good to see them being active though

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well they are signing that many guys because all the decent ones they had are leaving. Not exactly a great sign.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
All I meant was that resigning Collins, Rau or Videll would had been a better sign in my opinion than losing them to mid-table teams and building an entirely new team for next season.

Out of all the guys they sign only Wong and Tam seem like VHL material. Maybe Brandon Yip as well but mostly those are the KHL guys and looking at what they have, Chipchura as 1C doesn't look impressive. Overall, only few guys you can call really good players.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I'm amazed that they still haven't bothered with a Chinese version of their home site, it's almost like they don't want fans.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
The same arena as previous season - Feiyang Ice Skating Center

Makes me wonder why does the league allow this.

E: It's actually quite ridiculous that the men's team will play in a small, 4 800 seat arena while the women's team will have a 18 000 seat arena as their home venue.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
LeSport Arena in Beijing is busy and expensive, so the club wanted to play in another arena in Beijing - next to soccer stadium. But this arena is under reconstruction according to Russian media. The club does not want to play in two cities.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
LeSport Arena in Beijing is busy and expensive, so the club wanted to play in another arena in Beijing - next to soccer stadium. But this arena is under reconstruction according to Russian media. The club does not want to play in two cities.

Do you mean the National Indoor Stadium? When is the refurbishment expected to be finished?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Do you mean the National Indoor Stadium? When is the refurbishment expected to be finished?

The Workers' Gymnasium (or Workers Indoor Arena) next to The Worker Stadium.

I do not know when the work on stadium is expected to be finished. TASS reported that Kunlun wants to play next year there, so before 2018/19 season.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
So let me get this straight: some rich men from China collaborated with KHL to put a team that would play in Beijing and made the necessary adjustments for this to happen. For some reasons I don't remember now, they split their season between two cities, which badly hurt their attendance. Now, in their second season, they just realized that the place supposed to be their main arena is too expensive and decided to go back to Shanghai?

LOL. I'm done with this stupid team. Since the beginning, I told I thought this would fail but wished so hard to be proven wrong yet here we are. This is not a problem about its being too early or such. Yes, Rome wasn't built in a day but I'm sure the people building Rome had some plans as to how it must be built. Obviously, Kunlun management is far from capable of handling such a task for their team. It has been OVER A YEAR and these guys can't even secure an arena. Is this the team which is supposed to introduce hockey to Chinese people and prepare the country for the Olympics?

No fans, no Chinese players, no soul, nothing attractive and most importantly, there seems to be no hope of advancing going forward. Brilliant strategy... But, but what would KHL lose if everything went wrong? It's just a team without fans and an arena playing in so-called second best league in the world. Nothing wrong with that.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
But, but what would KHL lose if everything went wrong?

Money from Chinese oil/gas companies that wanted rights to do stuff in Siberia... Oh you mean in a sporting sense!

Probably some crap articles written in TSN saying the league will fold :popcorn:

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
I have read somewhere on this forum that Kunlun will play in VHL and MHL, don't know how many Chinese players will play, but with that level China will steamroll every division. Right now, looking at it in a pretty naive way, I'm hoping they won't use Canadian players like Korea.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I have read somewhere on this forum that Kunlun will play in VHL and MHL, don't know how many Chinese players will play, but with that level China will steamroll every division. Right now, looking at it in a pretty naive way, I'm hoping they won't use Canadian players like Korea.

They have signed players with Chinese roots for the KHL and/or the VHL teams. The players played in European or NA leagues. For example players like Mikaël Tam, Greg Squires, Brandon Wong, Brandon Yip.

The club had a camp in NA to scout young players for the MHL team, of course players with Chinese roots. If I remember there were around 400 applications (maybe including girls/women, I dont remember). Barkov is a head coach of the MHL team, so there will be some Finnish players.

The VHL team is based in Harbin, the MHL team in Beijing.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki

That is a naive wish indeed. Currently they have Kane, Squires, Tam, Wong, Yip and Yuen. They are also in talks with Ethan Werek. Besides those names there are obviously more players of Chinese heritage in North America who they haven't yet managed to lure to join them as most of them are still very young. Spencer Foo for one is definitely someone who I'd expect to join in 2018-19.

At least these players actually have some ties to the country unlike in the case of Korea and China has committed to develop the sport in the country – they are planning to construct 400 full-sized rinks by 2020. How inflated that number is remains to be seen.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
14 canadian players
8 russian players
3 swerdish players
3 finnish players
3 us players
2 belarussian players
1 ukrainian player
1 latvian player
1 slovakian player
1 chinese player

=

37 players

VP

Jul 1, 2016
This week they are in Finland and play two games, one against jokerit and does anyone know where and what time is the other game 30.7.?

VP

Jul 1, 2016
Last night they won jokerit 3-2 in Tikkurila. I think they played pretty well. After all they have been together just couple of weeks.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
So their VHL affiliate just signed a defenceman who last played in PJHL in 2012-13. I think that this is when hunting for players with Chinese heritage becomes too desperate.

VP

Jul 1, 2016
So their VHL affiliate just signed a defenceman who last played in PJHL in 2012-13. I think that this is when hunting for players with Chinese heritage becomes too desperate.

What is pjhl?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I hope they get some fans. It's just sad if they don't get the interest of people going (bad management and marketing really hurts that). It's too sad to watch. Dear god let them get some kind of thing going

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->