News Article: Kulemin's Battle to be a Canadian citizen.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I miss Kulemin. He was looking like a great physical 2-way winger for us and then the plane crash happened with a lot of his friends in it :(

I think he got depressed after that, didn't look the same.

In my opinion something changed after that Carolina player rocked him with a punch.

That was where I noticed a significant change. He went from beast 20-30 goal winger to just 10 goal grinder in one punch.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Not necessarily..... sure..in the past unions helped get workers right, etc. But we also have the Ministry of Labour (in Ontario) that does a lot of this now. Can I see the NHLPA doing this.....absolutely! The agents and the PA are about getting the most money for their clients (and thus themselves). Wasn't it in the late '90s that goalie Byron Dafoe fired his agent and basically did a deal on his own? If Kulemin had offers of significantly less to play in Canada, I wouldn't be surprised if the union went out of their way to get the most money. This is exactly why you could never (use the Leafs as an example) have a player or players get deals done to keep a great team together. Who is to say that Nylander wouldn't be happy taking 5M/yr just to play on the Leafs and help the team stay together long term......I am not sure not ever player just cares about the $. Plus, in a market like Toronto.....any endorsement deals (especially with winning a Cup on your resume) would more than make up for $ left on the table.

That was one of the points I made in my removed response. Unions were formed to address issues. The issues were real and we created Laws and Standards to address the problems raised by them. The Unions went sort of rogue from there, flexing their muscle and strong arming industry to the point where many just moved shop. This belief about work weeks and all that nonsense is just that, nonsense. Studies are conducted and suggestions made which eventually become policies or even law. Unions will go out of their way often to protect terrible unproductive employees, how is that right?

I have no doubt in my mind that the Union put pressure on Kules, how much? No idea.

Reactions: Cams

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
That was one of the points I made in my removed response. Unions were formed to address issues. The issues were real and we created Laws and Standards to address the problems raised by them. The Unions went sort of rogue from there, flexing their muscle and strong arming industry to the point where many just moved shop. This belief about work weeks and all that nonsense is just that, nonsense. Studies are conducted and suggestions made which eventually become policies or even law. Unions will go out of their way often to protect terrible unproductive employees, how is that right?

I have no doubt in my mind that the Union put pressure on Kules, how much? No idea.

I am not sure what the union would do if a player or players went out of their way to play for way less than their agents think they could get (to stay on a contender as one good reason), or even for family reasons, etc. Does that player get blackballed by the union and other players? Would other union players intentionally ostracize this player (maybe even injure him)?

Being one who is born, bred, and still lives in Windsor - I've seen and heard of crazy things the hard core union people do. Back in the '80's/'90s and before, if you worked at Chrysler (for example) and came to work in an import - there was a good chance your car would be damaged before you came out to go home after your shift. I could get into other things too that I have knowledge, but this isn't the place.

Reactions: thewave

pulfordfan

Sep 28, 2017
Rjukan Norway
According to this logic, the best players should all have a good chunk of their salaries taken away from them and given to the other players who aren't as good. This will help them lead more comfortable lives and maybe they can spend more on extra training so the best players aren't the best players year after year.
Why do you feel punishing success and rewarding failure is a good policy?!
I think you missed my point. Mostly I was referring to the NHL and how they run the league with caps and expansion with profit sharing.
A good player will get paid not what he's worth but what he can negotiate. This is between the players reps and teams GM. Sometimes players get over paid and sometimes they sign below market value, for reasons only known by the team.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
I think you missed my point. Mostly I was referring to the NHL and how they run the league with caps and expansion with profit sharing.
A good player will get paid not what he's worth but what he can negotiate. This is between the players reps and teams GM. Sometimes players get over paid and sometimes they sign below market value, for reasons only known by the team.

Bang on. A player should be able to sign for what he wants not what the agent or PA thinks he should. There have been a number of other players over the years who have signed a deal that is muchanged less then their stats dictate they should be making. Seems like a case of either the agent lying to him or the PA trying to swing some weight towards a player who is just a role player not a star by any means.

Reactions: pulfordfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->