News Article: Kulemin's Battle to be a Canadian citizen.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
There is always a choice to be made.

His agent wants him to take top dollar so he can get a larger piece of the pie. The agent is looking out for the best of his interest and not his clients. The PA may have something to say but really what can they enforce?

Did the PA come knocking on John Tavares door when he left 14M or more on the table?

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
Unions... Destroying Western Civilization and Industry since their inception. Union in productivity out the window!

What a terrifying statement, unions have worked hard over the years to get protections for workers

You like those paid holidays you get, working week limits, overtime payments you can thank unions for all that

I don't know how employment law works in Canada but over here unions are very helpful, I know Canadas not very old but without unions we'd probably still have workhouses and child labour

pulfordfan

Sep 28, 2017
Rjukan Norway
When the cap was put in place it stopped teams from winning 7 cups in a row. I personally like that. It's a more competitive league. I'm also in favour of profit sharing. It helps other teams succeed. It also exposes the game of hockey to areas that hockey was not played. LA and Nashville are examples where this has worked. Some may argue teams like Arizona are hurting the league because they can't generate the revenue to take care of themselves. This may be true but it generated a player that is the leafs best player. This is good for the league. People may not like it, but the system the NHL has put in place works.

Reactions: Confucius

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
When the cap was put in place it stopped teams from winning 7 cups in a row. I personally like that. It's a more competitive league. I'm also in favour of profit sharing. It helps other teams succeed. It also exposes the game of hockey to areas that hockey was not played. LA and Nashville are examples where this has worked. Some may argue teams like Arizona are hurting the league because they can't generate the revenue to take care of themselves. This may be true but it generated a player that is the leafs best player. This is good for the league. People may not like it, but the system the NHL has put in place works.
According to this logic, the best players should all have a good chunk of their salaries taken away from them and given to the other players who aren't as good. This will help them lead more comfortable lives and maybe they can spend more on extra training so the best players aren't the best players year after year.
Why do you feel punishing success and rewarding failure is a good policy?!

Reactions: Cams and smitty10

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
His agent just wanted to make the most money possible for himself.

Yep, what a shitty agent, the PA wouldn't have been happy but what are they going to do, collude with the owners to blackball Kulie?

Maybe this is why Nylander hasn't signed yet the big bad NHLPA mob has Willies dog held hostage till he signs a $8 mil + contract with the leafs... ;)

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Citizenship and Union matters aside, this is silly. If a player wants to sign in a specific city, and tells his agent to do "whatever it takes" to stay, then how does this end up happening? If he says "only Canadian teams", then how does he even get firm offers from NYI? The agent is supposed to be his mouthpiece and care for the legal aspects, bu he shouldn't be making decisions like this for the player.

This bothers me, and I bet stuff like this happens a lot more than most people realise. I've heard quotes from players in holdout situations saying they don't understand why it's happening, and they don't know more than the media does, and they are just letting their agent deal with it. Agents who do this to their clients are scum.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
According to this logic, the best players should all have a good chunk of their salaries taken away from them and given to the other players who aren't as good. This will help them lead more comfortable lives and maybe they can spend more on extra training so the best players aren't the best players year after year.
Why do you feel punishing success and rewarding failure is a good policy?!

I’m not sure that’s what he said, but to clarify, it’s good for both the players and the owners to be in more markets. If you remove 4 teams that’s 100 NHL players plus another 100 AHL lost.

Reactions: pulfordfan

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Citizenship and Union matters aside, this is silly. If a player wants to sign in a specific city, and tells his agent to do "whatever it takes" to stay, then how does this end up happening? If he says "only Canadian teams", then how does he even get firm offers from NYI? The agent is supposed to be his mouthpiece and care for the legal aspects, bu he shouldn't be making decisions like this for the player.

This bothers me, and I bet stuff like this happens a lot more than most people realise. I've heard quotes from players in holdout situations saying they don't understand why it's happening, and they don't know more than the media does, and they are just letting their agent deal with it. Agents who do this to their clients are scum.

my take is the agent really wanted more $$$ in his own pocket. Possibly the NHLPA voiced concerns over a deal where he earned significantly less but not real threats or anything like that just "we'd prefer he took the best offer" the agent took that and ran with it. Possibly using the language barrier to make it seem more menacing to kuly that it actually was. And now he isn't really lying to court

Reactions: zaqq

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I miss Kulemin. He was looking like a great physical 2-way winger for us and then the plane crash happened with a lot of his friends in it :(

I think he got depressed after that, didn't look the same.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
It's cool that he wants to settle down here. Reminds me of Kaberle and how Kaberle made Toronto his new home.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
What a terrifying statement, unions have worked hard over the years to get protections for workers

You like those paid holidays you get, working week limits, overtime payments you can thank unions for all that

I don't know how employment law works in Canada but over here unions are very helpful, I know Canadas not very old but without unions we'd probably still have workhouses and child labour
Exactly -The Weekend brought to you by unions everywhere , its always the ones who beak off about the unions that cry the loudest if they're asked to work a 6 day week , go figure .

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
I miss Kulemin. He was looking like a great physical 2-way winger for us and then the plane crash happened with a lot of his friends in it :(

I think he got depressed after that, didn't look the same.

I remember him being interviewed shortly afterwards and he was devastated. The look in his eye said I'm done. He was just emotionally and mentally checked out. Iirc he lost not just people he knew but his best friends and his lifelong personal trainer etc. That and he was also dealing with the death of Belak as well.

I think all of that combined lead Kuli to the way his career ended. Truly a sad story all around and only makes it more pressing that he and his family be allowed to finally have some peace and stability here in Canada.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

The Players Union forced teams to profit share and impose salary caps. This is the only way to make the league grow, so as long as you are happy with the transfer of your wealth from Toronto to Arizona or Canada to ________ market with lower wages, that's fine. The Players Union naturally wants it's players to take the most money because they get a cut. Union wants more, company cries poor, company shows numbers, union still wants more and strikes, company agrees and then lobby's for FREE TRADE and LEGAL OUTSOURCING and slowly shifts manufacturing, IT etc out of State. Manufacturing jobs start to disappear and you are left with a Services economy and shrinking middle class with less ability to save and increased debt/deficits.

I had another very well thought out and concise rebuttal that included players Union reference but it has been censored. I will just leave it at I strongly disagree with you and I hope the above very topic relevant paragraph, doesn't get removed.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
I have a hard time believing this is the case with every player. I could see the agent pushing that agenda for his benefit.
Look at Calle Jarnkroks deal with the preds. Similar tier to Kuli.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Exactly -The Weekend brought to you by unions everywhere , its always the ones who beak off about the unions that cry the loudest if they're asked to work a 6 day week , go figure .

Not necessarily..... sure..in the past unions helped get workers right, etc. But we also have the Ministry of Labour (in Ontario) that does a lot of this now. Can I see the NHLPA doing this.....absolutely! The agents and the PA are about getting the most money for their clients (and thus themselves). Wasn't it in the late '90s that goalie Byron Dafoe fired his agent and basically did a deal on his own? If Kulemin had offers of significantly less to play in Canada, I wouldn't be surprised if the union went out of their way to get the most money. This is exactly why you could never (use the Leafs as an example) have a player or players get deals done to keep a great team together. Who is to say that Nylander wouldn't be happy taking 5M/yr just to play on the Leafs and help the team stay together long term......I am not sure not ever player just cares about the $. Plus, in a market like Toronto.....any endorsement deals (especially with winning a Cup on your resume) would more than make up for $ left on the table.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->