News Article: Kulemin's Battle to be a Canadian citizen.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Nicky and his family are finally on their way to becoming Canadian citizens.

It is quite the interesting article and I found a couple of things quite interesting as I'm sure some of you will.

1. He always instructed his agent to do whatever it took to remain a Leaf. Failing that he wanted any other Canadian team.

2. When he left for the Isles his agent told him he had no choice but to take the high offer or the NHLPA would not be happy with him.

“If Mr. Kulemin chose to forgo all United States based offers to stay in Canada for substantially less money, the NHLPA (the players union) would have taken a real issue with his decision as it does not benefit the union to have players take unfavorable deals when they have significantly better options available,” Greenstein wrote, going on to argue Kulemin had “no real choice.”

Interesting how that was worded by his agent. Almost like the PA would have a couple of guys visit Nicky and give him the "toe the association line or else" speech. Seems a little bit odd. A player should be able to sign for whatever they deem is fair for themselves. Not have to toe a line and take more somewhere they are not as happy playing.

Former Toronto Maple Leaf Nikolay Kulemin wins court battle in quest for Canadian citizenship

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Of course the PA wants the players to take the most money possible, but I doubt they'd do anything if he didnt.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
NHLPA Unless you want to give me my biggest offer while allowing me to work in Canada then I don’t work for you and should be able to make my own decisions thanks. If my agent doesn’t respect me wishes then I can fire him too.

This should be fairly simple.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's a plausible explanation given to strengthen Kulemin's citizenship case. In any case, hope he and his family get what they want.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
That's b.s he should be able to sign for whatever he wants wherever he wants.
Tell that to the NHL! Players should be able to sign wherever they want and not HAVE to sign with the team that drafted them. JMHO.

Reactions: Confucius

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
NHL players are guaranteed 50% of hockey revenue. What the heck does the union care where or what Kulemin signs for? Their slice of the pie is completely unaffected.

Smart and Greedy agent makes more money if he signs for more money? I would push for it too, wouldn't you?

Reactions: Cams

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I hope he succeeds and can stay in Canada. One of our few legitimate home grown "talents" from the Dark Ages.

I presume that because his children are Canadian citizens (born in Canada) we wont just kick him out if his citizenship is not granted, however it will make living here permanently more difficult.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I can see the PA getting piss but I doubt they would do anything to the player.
Players sign for lesser deals all the time with teams/cities they want to stay in.

Reactions: zaqq

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad