Kulemin...a steal?

blueberry

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I have no idea what his stats are this year but I do think he was a steal. I remember him at the world juniors and he impressed me the most. On top of that he won the rookie of the year in russia I believe. I think a lot of people will regret not taking him.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
He plays a good style. He'll be welcomed on the Marlies next year for sure.

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
on talent, a fantastic pick!...the question is will he come over and will he adapt?
Yes Malkin and Ovechkin have excelled but several other Russians including Artyukhin, Kaigorodov, Mikhnov, Taratukhin, Khomitski and Lisin have failed to play to their potential. The Leafs have Ponikarovsky and Antropov so it should be easier for Kulemin but teams like Edmonton have not done themselves any favors by not helping them adapt to a foreign land and system.
Frankly, its ridculous how Oilers are misusing Mikhnov and to some extent their other prospects. How can a professional hockey team spread their prospects between about 5 minor league teams and expect optimum development?

LeafDangler

Apr 25, 2006
on talent, a fantastic pick!...the question is will he come over and will he adapt?
Yes Malkin and Ovechkin have excelled but several other Russians including Artyukhin, Kaigorodov, Mikhnov, Taratukhin, Khomitski and Lisin have failed to play to their potential. The Leafs have Ponikarovsky and Antropov so it should be easier for Kulemin but teams like Edmonton have not done themselves any favors by not helping them adapt to a foreign land and system.
Frankly, its ridculous how Oilers are misusing Mikhnov and to some extent their other prospects. How can a professional hockey team spread their prospects between about 5 minor league teams and expect optimum development?

Kulemin plays a game very similar to the North American style. In fact scouts have said that smaller ice surfaces are to his advantage. He is not a perimeter player like several other Russians who have come over unsuccesfully. He hits and grinds. Don't let his stats fool you, he is no sniper. His ceiling is somewhere around a hardnosed 2nd liner. The good news for Leaf fans is he has stated several times that he is eager to come over otherwise he would not have entered the draft three times. He says that he wants to fulfill his current Russian contract which expires at the end of this year and join the Leaf's organization for the 07/08 season. So hopefully there won't be any legality issues.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

The biggest on ice problem that I see with most of the players that come over is the physical aspect of the game. Kulemin is already a phyiscal type of player, so his transfer from the RSL to the AHL shouldn't be as big of a problem as it would be for the other players you mentioned.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Kulemin plays a game very similar to the North American style. In fact scouts have said that smaller ice surfaces are to his advantage. He is not a perimeter player like several other Russians who have come over unsuccesfully. He hits and grinds. Don't let his stats fool you, he is no sniper. His ceiling is somewhere around a hardnosed 2nd liner. The good news for Leaf fans is he has stated several times that he is eager to come over otherwise he would not have entered the draft three times. He says that he wants to fulfill his current Russian contract which expires at the end of this year and join the Leaf's organization for the 07/08 season. So hopefully there won't be any legality issues.

I think that is also something that should be noted. That he decided to be faithful to his current club. Could hold well for future contract negotiations with the Maple Leafs.

Geese_Howard*

All I know is that Pittsburgh should have drafted him instead of Staal. He'd look so good next to Malkin!

yes... I like Kulemin but you offer me staal for him and i'll fly to russia and drop him off at the igloo personally.....

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Kulemin certainly has some potential behind him, and having landed him and Tlusty in the same draft will give us some legitimate firepower up front prospect wise. Now we have to do it again this draft, and the next draft, before we can start to truly reap the benefits of it.

Like I said in a similar thread, when the Leafs have Kulemin, Tlusty, Steen, Stajan, Wellwood, Williams, and Earl in the lineup down the line, the bulk of the roster, and the 2nd and 3rd lines should look great.

That UFA age better drop to 25 soon so we can fill our top line needs :sarcasm: .

bulgaria

Mar 13, 2006
photo-forum.net
It's a joke, my friend. There were certain Russian posters over on the Pens board slamming us for the fact that we didn't take Kulemin to pair with Malkin.

He was Malkin's wing in Magnitogorsk.They were born in 1986,and they grew up together in the system of Metallurg.

mooseOAK*

I was surprised when Kulemin dropped down to the #44 position. Maybe teams were reluctant to use a high pick on a guy they could have had in the 7th round the year before or possibly the Russian transfer agreement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad