Confirmed with Link: Kukan re-signed for 2 years

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I was worried he was gonna go back. If Jack leaves and Cole is resigned, he's gonna have to put on a helluva performance to steal a spot back.

I think he can do it, he just needs another opportunity.
One way contract, he will get his bucks no matter what, and he wouldn't make so much in Swiss. Also, Ryan Murray needs a stunt double during the season.

Please, re-sign Cole though, and let Jack gooooo....

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
One way contract, he will get his bucks no matter what, and he wouldn't make so much in Swiss. Also, Ryan Murray needs a stunt double during the season.

Please, re-sign Cole though, and let Jack gooooo....
Cole is a must , and see if we can get a dependable player for Murray, absolutely do it . Kukan and Nutivaara both bring more to the table then Murray.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Carlsson hasn't progressed like the Jackets have hoped. He's been OK in Cleveland but definitely not a difference maker. Hopefully he can work on his skating in the offseason.

Also, I wouldn't assume that Johnson is gone. The Jackets were seriously considering re-signing him for another few years. Just depends on the dollar amount. So I'd say it's an "if" he leaves rather than "when."

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I'm all for keeping Cole but he is going to want a nice chunk of a raise and I don't think we should be the team to pay him 4.5 mil for 4yrs when we need the money for Murray Panarin and Bob. With Z/Jones Murray/Nuti and Savard/Kukan we can be fine if Cole wants to make bank on someone else. I see GMJK really wanting Cole to stay he drafted him and then went right after him so I see him WILLING to pay him and overpaying a little but there are teams out there like the oilers who sign that Lucic deal so he might chase the money and we can't die on that hill.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Also, I wouldn't assume that Johnson is gone. The Jackets were seriously considering re-signing him for another few years. Just depends on the dollar amount. So I'd say it's an "if" he leaves rather than "when."
Don't they use stats over there? He puts the worst numbers, no matter who he's paired with.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Cole is a must , and see if we can get a dependable player for Murray, absolutely do it . Kukan and Nutivaara both bring more to the table then Murray.
First pairing.... Z/Jones
Second Pairing..... Cole/Savard
Third Pairing..... Nutivaara/Kukan-Murray

Murray makes $2.825m this season. He'll need an offer of at least the same according to the terms of the CBA .

The premature buyout of Hartnell will have a $3 million hit next season. Tyutin's final year of buyout runs roughly $1.5 million cap hit. Dubinsky buyout (~$2 million/year cap hit) could be in the offing.

Bob and Panarin need to be signed for 2019-20.

Murray's time as a CBJ could be drawing to a close. I doubt he'll get a multi year deal this time if he is not traded.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Murray's time as a CBJ could be drawing to a close.
giphy.gif

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
I am by no means a Murray hater but I could certainly be talked into trading him if Cole re-signs. Kukan staying probably spells the end for one of those two or JJ, though. Maybe Harrington as well.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Jack will be gone as will his $4.3M cap hit. So one would assume:
Jones/Z
Nuti/Murray (RFA)
Savard/Kukan
Cole (UFA); Harrington- 7/8; Carlson 8-Cleveland

I don't see Cole getting less than $3M/3 yrs.....and don't see us adding that payroll. If GMJK thinks Cole is better than Savard or Murray (or durability is a question), the alternative is trade Murray or Savard.

I almost hesitate to include this but I'm going to (possibly falls under the Jarmo 3 Years Out thread).

Question: How good is the D corp with Coles signed but Z out of the mix?.....The real salary crunch comes at the end of next year. Z is among those who will want paid unless the plan is to bridge him.

Where am I going with this? Everyone wants a 1C. The one asset that can score a 1C in a trade would be Z after next year. Jarmo has made blockbusters. After getting past our love for Z, is he one you'd trade/package to get a top 10-15 NHL center?

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Jones/Z
Nuti/Murray (RFA)
Savard/Kukan

I don't see Cole getting less than $3M/3 yrs.....and don't see us adding that payroll. If GMJK thinks Cole is better than Savard or Murray (or durability is a question), the alternative is trade Murray or Savard.

I almost hesitate to include this but I'm going to (possibly falls under the Jarmo 3 Years Out thread).

Question: How good is the D corp with Coles signed but Z out of the mix?.....The real salary crunch comes at the end of next year. Z is among those who will want paid unless the plan is to bridge him.

Where am I going with this? Everyone wants a 1C. The one asset that can score a 1C in a trade would be Z after next year. Jarmo has made blockbusters. After getting past our love for Z, is he one you'd trade/package to get a top 10-15 NHL center?

The chances of Z getting traded are about 1 percent. If Z was ever traded for a C it better be for nothing but a TOP 10 C in this league not a Top 10-15 C. In order to acquire a 1C, our best bet would be to put a package together (Wennberg would pretty much have to be automatically included). Again, absolutely no chance of Z getting traded.. at least not anytime soon. The origanization raves about him and loves him entirely. When we drafted him, he was everything we ever wanted for the franchise.. a certified top pairing defenseman with immense potential.. and he still is and will be for a very, very long time.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Jones/Z
Nuti/Murray (RFA)
Savard/Kukan

I wouldn't. Dubois' progression is very encouraging. If he plays with Panarin and remains healthy all year, I couldn't imagine him scoring under 60 points. This may be a bit hopeful, but I don't think Wennberg will have as down of a year either. Really, we need to be looking to add another top-6 C (Tyler Johnson?) and move Dubinsky's contract.

Not to mention that it's not as if there is a huge market of young 1Cs available to be had. There are very few players, in the first place, that I would trade Z for (Matthews, Eichel, McD, Seguin, etc). But I don't think that is too realistic. It takes two to tango.

Reactions: CBJSTH

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Jones/Z
Nuti/Murray (RFA)
Savard/Kukan

To quote from cannon.
Doesn’t seem too complicated to me.
Starters: Jones, Z, Murray, Nutti, Cole, Savard
7th: Kukan
1st Callup: Carlsson
We can easily move Harrington for a low pick, and JJ and Chorney walk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad