TSN: Kuhnhackl rejects two-year deal from Penguins

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Not a big loss. He's a 4th liner (at best), and was brutal this past season. Plus, it means room for a guy like Dominic Simon or Teddy Blueger.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Wonder how much AAV they were offering. Hes a decent 4th liner and probably deserves a modest raise from his 600K but not a huge loss for PIT obviously.

Reactions: KIRK

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
He was/is a decent 4th liner, and earlier in his career it seemed he might be able to top out at 3rd line ability, but he hasn't really progressed since then and doesn't seem to have the skating ability to fit very well with this group. He's a solid penalty killer and doesn't look out of place 5 on 5, but he isn't much more.

The Pens want more scoring balance on the 4th line, especially if Riley Sheahan sticks around. a 4th of ZAR - Sheahan - Simon could do that for them. Kuhnhackl on that line makes it tougher.

My guess is the Pens were trying to sign him to 13th forward money, and he'd rather pursue an opportunity where he can play every night and continue to develop. Good luck to him in that endeavor, no sarcasm intended.

Sheahan/ Brassard / Rust / Hagelin / ZAR is plenty of Fs to PK. Brass has to do it with more regularity this season but it will work.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Apr 9, 2009
USA
He's solid I guess, but I'm ok with him going. What he brought is replaceable (from within?) and won't cost much. Best of luck to you, Kuhn!

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005
wow...now even 4th liners want long term deals...who do they think they are Kyle Clifford..lol

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I always liked him in PIT. Would love him in FLA where we play the slower, cycle game and he can take some PK duty away from Trocheck and our other more skilled forwards who shouldn't be playing there. Also think he would be a good fit for an intense, grinding 4th line that Boughner/Tallon would love and provide defensive support for our young offensive guys. Too bad that would require letting MacKenzie go and demoting Haley to 13F, which will never happen.

Hoffman - Borgstrom - Sceviour
Mamin - McCann - Kuhnhackl

would be a pretty kickass bottom 6 considering the top 6 would be a mix of Barkov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Dadonov, Malgin, and Bjugstad/Tippett.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Case of the Reiders, nothing more nothing less.

He is a serviceable player, but I'd like to know what his camp is seeking. His most productive stretch came when Sullivan first took over, but the entire team was rolling at that point.

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
May not have even been about the money, may have been more about opportunity somewhere else being they knew he would be an ufa if they turned it down.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Interesting. I think Kuhnhackl is a great 4th liner but not much more than that, hope he's not overthinking his value.

IMO, he's a dime a dozen 4th liner who will never make or break a team's bottom six.

I had high hopes for him after his rookie year (2016), but honestly, the guy never progressed. If anything, he started to regress to the point where he went from a solid 4th line producer to a guy who basically was in the lineup to PK.

I'm not sad to see him move on from the Pens for that very reason. I'd like the Pens to upgrade that 4th line to one that is actually useful at 5 on 5.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
This is a good day for the Pens to get rid of this sack of shit player.

I would be surprised if he’s still in the league in a year or two.

Reactions: Farnham4top6

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
If he's not willing to sign for peanuts then we can't afford to keep him. We're already tight against the cap, the last thing we should do is overpay for Kuhnhackl.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bun Cook

PensRedwings2887

Dec 1, 2010
This is a good day for the Pens to get rid of this sack of **** player.

I would be surprised if he’s still in the league in a year or two.

Yet we still have piss poor Matt Hunwick, and Conor Sheary whos very streaky. While Kuhnhackl may not bring a lot and yes is replacable, I hope Hunwick and Sheary both get moved.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Yet we still have piss poor Matt Hunwick, and Conor Sheary whos very streaky. While Kuhnhackl may not bring a lot and yes is replacable, I hope Hunwick and Sheary both get moved.
I agree that Hunwick and Sheary are not good players. But neither are Kuhnhackl or Rowney, and both played way too much last season. Take these idiots away from Sully. Hopefully JR can undo his errors from last summer in Sheary and Hunwick, too.

Rowney just has no business playing in the nhl

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
this was good news. I like Kuhnhackl and appreciate his courage blocking shots but there was a reason he was always blocking shots. Pens rarely had the puck while he was on the ice. hope he does well somewhere else

Reactions: Pens x

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad