Kucherov now vs Peak Kane

better player

• Total voters

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I went with "too close to call". It should be probably be noted though, that if their peak regular seasons are very close (even giving a slight advantage to Kucherov), Kane's playoff resume is outstanding.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I went with "too close to call". It should be probably be noted though, that if their peak regular seasons are very close (even giving a slight advantage to Kucherov), Kane's playoff resume is outstanding.

I think too close to call is the right answer which I voted a while back, if it's just this season though it's Kucherov without a doubt, but Kane in 2015-16 was dominant compared to the rest of the league.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
I've never seen someone make a statement with such absolutism...is there a source for this claim?

Seems impossible to say for me but I'll wait for the proof.
Kane has also been on stacked teams and never broke 110. It's stupid to compare peaks when both are still young(ish) but saying Kane is still better is like the people who cling to Crosby still being the best Center over McDavid.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Kane has also been on stacked teams and never broke 110

What team would you argue was stacked like the 2018-19 Bolts? we can do a line for line comparison.

Folks are either seriously underrating this years Lignting or have a bad memory of the 2012/2015 Hawks to make a claim that they were better than this years TBL

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
What team would you argue was stacked like the 2018-19 Bolts? we can do a line for line comparison.

Folks are either seriously underrating this years Lignting or have a bad memory of the 2012/2015 Hawks to make a claim that they were better than this years TBL
Well i mean theres a strong argument if we played a full season in 2013 we could have also been a 60 win team. Started the season 21-0-3 iirc. The 2014 team also was very strong, easily could have won the cup but the kings got the better end. But i see what youre saying. Even back then kane was playing with Michal Handzus, Andrew Shaw (who was good for his role). Nothing like brayden point.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019

Well according to some posters the lockout season hawks were better, and Kane wasn’t pacing for 128 that season.

Also I didn’t say they were better but he was on some good teams. The hawks won 3 cups in 5 years you can’t claim they weren’t a stacked team. Yet he never paced for 128 points in a season.

Also this season his line mates (at least at even strength) were about as good as Kucherov’s. Point is good but Johnson is not really a great first line LW. Hence why he scored a career high of 110. Claiming Kane is still better (I never made a claim about peaks) is almost laughable biased.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Well according to some posters the lockout season hawks were better, and Kane wasn’t pacing for 128 that season.

Also I didn’t say they were better but he was on some good teams. The hawks won 3 cups in 5 years you can’t claim they weren’t a stacked team. Yet he never paced for 128 points in a season.

Also this season his line mates (at least at even strength) were about as good as Kucherov’s. Point is good but Johnson is not really a great first line LW. Hence why he scored a career high of 110. Claiming Kane is still better (I never made a claim about peaks) is almost laughable biased.

I'm not claiming the hawks weren't stacked. I'm clearly saying that the current bolts are better than any team Kane was on, please read better. A better supporting cast is an advantage to Kucherov.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
I'm not claiming the hawks weren't stacked. I'm clearly saying that the current bolts are better than any team Kane was on, please read better. A better supporting cast is an advantage to Kucherov.
I think you need to read better. I was saying they weren’t as good but that they were still good. Also yes our 2nd/3rd lines scoring more definitely helps him. Thank god for JT Miller scoring so much, what would kuch do without him. You’ve provided no evidence Kane this season is as good, while pretty much everyone outside of Chicago would think it’s not close

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Kucherov. He did it without the benefit of playing with any of the top 100 all time NHL players.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Kane's 106 point season is argubly equal to or even better than Kucherov's 128 season. You need some context.
I was trying to respond to the other poster. I’m not trying to compare peaks, since that’s kind of irrelevant when we don’t even know if either player will have a better year in the future. The only question that’s easy to answer is who’s better this season

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Well i mean theres a strong argument if we played a full season in 2013 we could have also been a 60 win team. Started the season 21-0-3 iirc. The 2014 team also was very strong, easily could have won the cup but the kings got the better end. But i see what youre saying. Even back then kane was playing with Michal Handzus, Andrew Shaw (who was good for his role). Nothing like brayden point.
And the Art Ross winner that year was barely on pace to crack 100 for an 82 game season.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Kane has also been on stacked teams and never broke 110. It's stupid to compare peaks when both are still young(ish) but saying Kane is still better is like the people who cling to Crosby still being the best Center over McDavid.

That's because the league wasn't as high scoring in his best season

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I was trying to respond to the other poster. I’m not trying to compare peaks, since that’s kind of irrelevant when we don’t even know if either player will have a better year in the future. The only question that’s easy to answer is who’s better this season

That's not what the OP was asking though.

Kane's Art Ross was a bit better when looking at how their respective peers fared although I think the field was a bit stronger in Kucherov's season.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Just to quantify things, Kane had 19% more points than Jamie Benn in 2nd place in 2015/16. This year Kucherov had 10% more points than McDavid in 2nd.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Just to quantify things, Kane had 19% more points than Jamie Benn in 2nd place in 2015/16. This year Kucherov had 10% more points than McDavid in 2nd.
the numbers here are somewhat misleading. to compete with mcdavid is not the same as with benn.
too close to call for me.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
the numbers here are somewhat misleading. to compete with mcdavid is not the same as with benn.
too close to call for me.
I really don't understand what is misleading about it. Benn was #2 in the league in scoring that year, 4 points ahead of Crosby in 3rd. McDavid was only 6 points ahead of Kane in 3rd this season. Why does it matter who is in 2nd place as a comparison to how the rest of the league was producing? That is essentially saying we can't compare Kane's 2015/16 season to anybody else in the league because McDavid wasn't playing.

Also if you want to eliminate McDavid from things... Kane had 25% more points than Crosby in 3rd place in 2015/16 and this year Kuch has 16% more points than Kane 3rd place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kdotsection88

Leafsrock95

Oct 4, 2014
It depends really I take kucherov but if he never wins any championships then it’s most likely Kane. They are actually pretty close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad