Kucherov now vs Peak Kane

better player

• Total voters

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I mean, if Kane continues at his current pace, he'll set a career high in points.

So this season arguably IS peak Kane, at least from a raw production perspective (which, lets be honest, is what Kane does, nobody is going to mistake him for a two-way juggernaut).

And if this season is his peak, then there's a good argument to be made that Kucherov is better than him right now and therefore, better than Kane at his peak.

Still voted for Kane though. Homer.

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
I mean, if Kane continues at his current pace, he'll set a career high in points.

So this season arguably IS peak Kane, at least from a raw production perspective (which, lets be honest, is what Kane does, nobody is going to mistake him for a two-way juggernaut).

And if this season is his peak, then there's a good argument to be made that Kucherov is better than him right now and therefore, better than Kane at his peak.

Still voted for Kane though. Homer.

Which is equivalent to suggesting there are currently 7 player seasons in the league on pace to top one of the most offensively dominant forwards of his era, in Kane.

Or, Kucherov is currently on pace to peak higher offensively than any one of Lindros, Sakic, Forsberg, Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, or McDavid did over the course of a full season. Of course environments matter.

Reactions: authentic

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Kane has accomplished so much in his career that its hard not to choose him. With that said Kucherov is really just getting his career going and will be interesting to see how he is when he is Kanes age.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This is just flat out wrong.

I think it's worded wrong, for sure...Kuch is obviously no slouch in the playoffs.

But I don't want to be anywhere near Patrick Kane in an elimination game or Games 5, 6, 7. THAT peak Kane is best player in the world territory.

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
We all can agree that Kucherov now is peak Kucherov

Is he a better player than peak Kane? I’d say they’re pretty equal

But peak Kane won a Art Ross by 17 points and the MVP, so that’s the tie breaker for me

I’ll go with Patty Kany

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I mean..i think you could even make a case Kane is having a better year then Kuch this year.

Kuch has a few more points but Kane has a higher edge in goals.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Peak Kane and current Kane are quite close. Not sure you can squeeze Kucherov in between them. But I know there's no clear advantage either way.

The correct answer is "too close to call", but only 7% chose that option. I think it has something to do with fanboys measuring their junk.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I just noticed Kane is 9 goals up on him with more ES points and no elite linemates, I'd say he has a good case now.

A case for sure. I just wouldn't say it's clear cut yet. Kane's gone ape the last while here, but even though Kucherov had a crazy hot streak himself, I would say he's been more consistent overall. Kane has worse linemates but also plays bigger minutes on a team with nothing to lose. Goals are nice, but I'm not a big proponent of the idea that they're always far more important either. Just feels a bit weird to say he's been better when the season is 4 months old, and no one would have suggested it just a couple weeks ago.

Cold Medicine

Apr 4, 2014
Kane had 17 more points than Jamie Benn the year he won the Art Ross, but only because Kane excelled against garbage teams while Benn struggled. In the 45 games the two played against playoff teams, Kane had 7 fewer points than Benn. Compare that to the 5 games the two played against the tanking Oilers and Leafs: 15 points for Kane and just 3 for Benn. Of course, every point in the NHL counts the same...but it wasn't a surprise that the Blackhawks got bounced in the first round that year.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
Kane had 17 more points than Jamie Benn the year he won the Art Ross, but only because Kane excelled against garbage teams while Benn struggled. In the 45 games the two played against playoff teams, Kane had 7 fewer points than Benn. Compare that to the 5 games the two played against the tanking Oilers and Leafs: 15 points for Kane and just 3 for Benn. Of course, every point in the NHL counts the same...but it wasn't a surprise that the Blackhawks got bounced in the first round that year.
So Kane scored more points that year because he scored more points that year. Got it. I noticed you left out the fact that the Stars and Hawks lost to the same team in the playoffs that year lol.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Peak Kaner, no doubt.

Honestly, i'd take Kane now, who's to say he's not still at his peak? He's only 30 and he's putting up elite numbers with garbage linemates on a garbage team. Kuch is on the most stacked team in the NHL and plays with elite linemates.

Cold Medicine

Apr 4, 2014
So Kane scored more points that year because he scored more points that year. Got it. I noticed you left out the fact that the Stars and Hawks lost to the same team in the playoffs that year lol.

You don''t really think the Blues would have won if Seguin had played, do you?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Patrick Kane is peaking this season oddly enough. His 106 point season was ridiculous but this could be the best season for both.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Patrick Kane is peaking this season oddly enough. His 106 point season was ridiculous but this could be the best season for both.

This season is a lot higher scoring than 2016. He won the Art Ross by a wide margin in '16. This season he may not even win it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad