Kucherov having an insane season (125 pts in 79 games) - most since 2007 season

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
What I've learned over the past 30 years following hockey is that a player scores what he's supposed to score, no matter what the support cast is. I've seen guys lead their teams by 30 or 40 points and get the same number of points the following year with much better linemates. The rest is just same ol' Hfboards gospel...

Reactions: rintinw and binop7

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
but to pretend that Kucherov has no place in the discussion for best player in the world is absolutely false.

I never said this. I called Kucherov the best player in the world this season, regardless of their circumstances. I said the best player in the world argument is fairly close. I responded to you saying LOL Wut to me when I noted the circumstances have an effect

Why wasn't McDavid significantly better in 16/17 on the better team with the 8th best scorer on his line most of the year while Kucherov had his boys Point and Stammer contributing a grand total of 60 points

I also consider defense as an essential component of supporting cast. McDavid has never had anything like what the Lightning are icing right now. I’ll agree McDavid had fantastic linemates in 16-17, but his team never had the puck as often as the Lightning do. He also started the season as a teenager...would love to see this version of McDavid on that team.

Wrong, Patrick Kane is posting his best season of his career with one of the worst supporting cast of his career.

Kane’s year is remarkable, his best, and just as impressive as McDavid this year if not more. Still, supporting casts do impact production.

You have to admit it's debatable that he is the best or that Kucherov is right there with him. Maybe his self-generation offense has its limitations in making his team better?

Admitted already in this thread.

...anybody willing to put their neck out and predict you and Kucherov and McDavid would the same production this year if they switched places? You can mock my what ifs, but still looking for someone to state this.

Excited to watch Kuch likely lift the Hart, Lindsay, and the Cup.

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
Yeah, like it's a bad thing to have a player that makes the team the Golden State Warriors of the NHL
I would agree, but it's an opinion I don't even agree with. Tampa's gotta win at least one cup and sign a big name FA for a huge discount before they earn that kind of notorious reputation, imo.

If Tampa wins the cup, and Karlsson signs a short term 6M aav deal, then I can get behind the idea that they're the GSW of the NHL.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Kane is playing with Toews and Caggiula, who cares what the other forwards are doing?
weird its almost like teams stack a lot of their best players on some sort of PP unit and other lines can't actually mix/match plenty of times when guys jump in and off the ice.....saying the Blackhawks supporting cast sucks at least for scoring yet they have 200 flipping goals is a joke when you are comparing point totals. Only 8 teams have 200+ goals and the Oilers have 163 that's nearly 40 less that's considerably worse place to be in for scoring points than the former....unless you are blind not too mention the Oilers PP sucks ass. Super fun to watch Eichel get randomly shifted with Sobotka or other terrible plugs at certain instances. Must forget how bad it is to have a team with no depth. Even the Sabres have more goals than the Oilers and our depth f***ing blows.

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
My point is McDavid is having a better season relative to his team and still the best player in the world.

Well if he very first would even defence a bit to not have negative power rating at the end of year, you could start to argue that he could be usefull guy for his team. Now as the most important player in his line, he is basically outplayed by other first lines throughout the league. Not very well from "the best".

Whaymt comes to other lines...it does not matter a thing and btw. Theres a guy names draisaitl playing in the same line with him.

With sebastian aho e.g. there is almost retired justin williams and years struckled Nino N. And yet he and his line bet mcdavid badly just another night. -2 and 0+0. Thats a shame to call the best player...and still playing with draisaitl.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If McDavid, Matthews or Crosby played for the Bolts and had such a season, people on here would be crazy. Kucherov deserves more respect for his amazing performances.

The media would too. I think its the Russian factor to be honest.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It's not that. If this were Ovi they wouldn't shut up about it.

The media is ready to have its preconceived notions reaffirmed, and they have a hard time responding when someone comes and upsets the apple cart. Kucherov isn't a guy they're acclimated to heaping praise on. Small market, not a high pick, a bit of a late bloomer - it takes awhile for them to grow accustomed to saying he's *the* guy. With Kane? Easy, you have a past to lean on plus Chicago gets every nationally televised game in the US to crow about. Crosby? Shit they've been talking about him since he was 13. McDavid? Same - they were pre-primed for him.

It's honestly similar to how MSL was viewed. He was always a guy that was brought up as an afterthought because they weren't conditioned to put him on the short list of great offensive players.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec

It's both the non-anglo factor and the not a hyped 1st overall factor. The media likes when the good guys they predicted would be stars perform. When they didn't see one coming, they don't talk about him. Kucherov's performance both this year and last year can't be ignored.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It's not that. If this were Ovi they wouldn't shut up about it.

The media is ready to have its preconceived notions reaffirmed, and they have a hard time responding when someone comes and upsets the apple cart. Kucherov isn't a guy they're acclimated to heaping praise on. Small market, not a high pick, a bit of a late bloomer - it takes awhile for them to grow accustomed to saying he's *the* guy. With Kane? Easy, you have a past to lean on plus Chicago gets every nationally televised game in the US to crow about. Crosby? **** they've been talking about him since he was 13. McDavid? Same - they were pre-primed for him.

It's honestly similar to how MSL was viewed. He was always a guy that was brought up as an afterthought because they weren't conditioned to put him on the short list of great offensive players.

That’s true. Could very well be because we are in a small market. If Kucherov was doing this in a big market they wouldn’t stop talking about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->