Kucherov having an insane season (125 pts in 79 games) - most since 2007 season

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
It does impact the discussion. Better players put up more points with a stronger supporting cast. It’s not my fault you don’t understand that and resort to giant lol wut gifs.

Anyone else here think Kucherov posts 99 on the Oilers and McDavid is still at 83 with the Lightning?

That doesn't mean he's wrong. Patrick Kane could be scoring higher this season with a better supporting cast.

Man, I would like to see how many more points (and goals) would P.Bure put with competent team instead of FLA in 2000-01. He had 92 points (and 59 goals) on a team that had its 2nd best scorer with 37 pts.

Also Kovalchuk and Hossa in ATL come to mind (in 2006-07, for example):
Hossa 100
Kozlov 80
Kovalchuk 76
next 2 were 36 and 29
Surely if they got to better teams (cough, PIT/DET/CHI, cough, NJD) they would be scoring even more, right?

Reactions: LightningStrikes

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Nothing more. The Lightning have been a better team over the last 3 years combined. At all points, Kucherov has benefited from a better supporting cast. Stamkos and Point are better all around players than Draisaitl who does not even try defensively. McDavid’s numbers, at a younger age, have been better over that time period. I’m not saying the gap is tremendous, in just saying that when considering a three year period I think McDavid is the better player. I’m not an Oilers fan.

My Cheechoo example was only cited to say a single year cannot be judged. It wasn’t a direct comparison.

Saying McDavid is still the best player in the league is not outlandish. His self-generation of offense is unmatched in the NHL and the underlying numbers are just as strong as Kucherov’s this season.

You just skirted the point though.

Why wasn't McDavid significantly better in 16/17 on the better team with the 8th best scorer on his line most of the year while Kucherov had his boys Point and Stammer contributing a grand total of 60 points?

And last year everyone gushed over McDavid turning it up after his team was out of the playoffs while Kucherov perhaps took his foot off the gas. We are in the exact same scenario this year. At the 3/4 mark, Kucherov is again leading in scoring while McDavid is having a better year than he did last thru 60 games but again is not leading in scoring or even 2nd.

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
The Lightning have scored 74 more goals than the Oilers...

Kucherov in on 42% of his teams goals.
McDavid in on 51% of his teams goals.

A little context doesn’t hurt.

What does it have to do with McDavid/Kucherov scoring? I mean do they get some phantom points when those other team lines score?

Reactions: Beyonder91

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Saying McDavid is still the best player in the league is not outlandish. His self-generation of offense is unmatched in the NHL and the underlying numbers are just as strong as Kucherov’s this season.

You have to admit it's debatable that he is the best or that Kucherov is right there with him. Maybe his self-generation offense has its limitations in making his team better?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017

Oh yeah Kucherov is only ay 99 because those players are scoring when he's watching from the bench. I completely agree.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto

Because the Lightning get more production from their other lines which is also why Kucherov gets far less ice time than Mcdavid.
This has nothing to do with the overall impact of both players when they are on the ice and how they perform relative to their teammates.
You actually didn't provide any context at all to the point I was making.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Did Nikita’s agent do a terrible job in negotiating this contract? He’s getting severely under paid for his entire prime.

What is this logic? Should he have gotten a Max contract and not enjoy the benefits of playing on a winning team his entire prime? Look at case a. McDavid in this thread.

Reactions: Werewolf

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
Easier to be more involved when your team sucks and everything goes through you. Kucherov having that large of a percentage on a team that scores more is more impressive. 2 can play at this game.

So theoretically since McDavid has no support he should be outscoring his next teammate by a larger margin than Kucherov not less.....

"Context"

What does it have to do with McDavid/Kucherov scoring? I mean do they get some phantom points when those other team lines score?

I shoulda read the rest of thread before posting haha. You guys already beat me to it.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
oBwpP7Y.gif

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
I shoulda read the rest of thread before posting haha. You guys already beat me to it.
You guys do not understand basic math. You don’t just look at the difference between 1st and second place to determine one guy is carrying the team. Tampa has 10 guys over 0.5PPG, Edmonton has 3. Kucherov has way more support than McDavid. Tampa’s entire team is firing. He’s not only in on points with the second place guy and the rest of his points are unassisted goals.

Obviously Kucherov is having an amazing year but saying he is not benefitting from a great team is untrue. The Lightning are probably going to have a historical regular season.

If Kucherov maintains his pace he will have had the best NHL season in years. I would still rather have McDavid on my team for any given game and I hate the Oilers.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
He's the best player in the League this season. Going in, it was Connor McDavid after he won the Ross and Lindsay two years in a row, but Kucherov is going to join him at the top (or even usurp him if he really crushes everyone in scoring and kills it in the playoffs) after this season.
When he wins 3 Art Ross in a row he will usurp him.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
I hope you know that a team can only have 5 guys on the ice at once.
A team can have 6 guys on the ice at once. Do you think Kucherov has only been in on goals with 5 or 6 of his teammates?

Just last night he shared points with 6 different guys.

Woww I guess Tampa must be allowed 7 guys on the ice at a time eh.

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
How many more points would McDavid have if the Oilers had 233 goals this year, or even 200?
Maybe none? It just shows that Edmonton has no secondary scoring while Tampa has scoring depth with all lines producing.

Reactions: QJL

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
You guys do not understand basic math. You don’t just look at the difference between 1st and second place to determine one guy is carrying the team. Tampa has 10 guys over 0.5PPG, Edmonton has 3. Kucherov has way more support than McDavid. Tampa’s entire team is firing. He’s not only in on points with the second place guy and the rest of his points are unassisted goals.

Obviously Kucherov is having an amazing year but saying he is not benefitting from a great team is untrue. The Lightning are probably going to have a historical regular season.

If Kucherov maintains his pace he will have had the best NHL season in years. I would still rather have McDavid on my team for any given game and I hate the Oilers.

I still don't understand the point you are trying to make. We know that Tampa is a better team than Edmonton. You are preaching to the choir and don't seem to realize it.

Have you ever considered the rest of the team might be benefiting from Kucherov offensively? Look at Points numbers.
All of the offence flows through him. Imagine if he got Mcdavids ice time?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
A team can have 6 guys on the ice at once. Do you think Kucherov has only been in on goals with 5 or 6 of his teammates?

Just last night he shared points with 6 different guys.

Woww I guess Tampa must be allowed 7 guys on the ice at a time eh.
He shared points with Stamkos, Point, Gourde and Sergachev. I count four but I'm not very good at math so maybe it's six. And also Sergachev is not a 0.5 ppg player. He's quite a bit below that.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
He shared points with Stamkos, Point, Gourde and Sergachev. I count four but I'm not very good at math so maybe it's six. And also Sergachev is not a 0.5 ppg player. He's quite a bit below that.
Sergachev is not a 0.5 ppg player but their are 10 others who are. Last night he shared with Gourde, Sergachev, Coburn, Stamkos, Point, McDonagh.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Sergachev is not a 0.5 ppg player but their are 10 others who are. Last night he shared with Gourde, Sergachev, Coburn, Stamkos, Point, McDonagh.
Coburn didn't get a point and neither did McDonagh.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
I still don't understand the point you are trying to make. We know that Tampa is a better team than Edmonton. You are preaching to the choir and don't seem to realize it.

Have you ever considered the rest of the team might be benefiting from Kucherov offensively? Look at Points numbers.
All of the offence flows through him. Imagine if he got Mcdavids ice time?
My point is McDavid is having a better season relative to his team and still the best player in the world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad