Kronwall talks about the team & his future

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Well yeah, but that's kinda like saying I'd rather have a headache than an appendectomy. The optimal course of shaping this defense should avoid both Kronwall and Gardiner, based on probable performance of the former and probable cost of the latter.

The optimal course was winning the lottery last year. At this point, you're basically guaranteed a headache or an appendectomy, so give me the headache. Basically though, Kronwall at the veteran minimum is a nothing burger in terms of problems. We will have enough churn from losing other guys (Daley, Jensen, etc.) and generally have enough injury churn during the year that having a guy who knows the system and has a brain for the game at an affordable price isn't a terrible thing.

Reactions: Winger98

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
If he signs for either a buriable amount or even up to 1.5M (which is mostly buriable), there is no downside to keeping him for another year. If he wants any more than that, have fun in retirement, Nick. I mean, I won't fight anyone on letting him walk, but if the choice is Nick Kronwall at 1.5M for a year and take a crack at Trouba in 2020 or Jake Gardiner at 5x5 or 5x6? I go Nick all day.
Yes I don't want Gardiner either. I think my point was really more toward all the get rid of Jensen and keep Kronwall's corps over him. I'm not saying we should over pay Jensen but he has been good all year long.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Yes I don't want Gardiner either. I think my point was really more toward all the get rid of Jensen and keep Kronwall's corps over him. I'm not saying we should over pay Jensen but he has been good all year long.

Keeping Jensen or keeping Kronwall isn't the issue. You're not moving Jensen to keep Kronwall or re-signing Kronwall to trade away Jensen. The two things are not related.

Kronwall can stay if he plays for minimum wage. He doesn't hurt you at all if you can bury his deal. Jensen is also a "decent player on a wretched team". I don't want us to be doing anything to go out of our way to keep him. Optimally, he's a #6/7 defenseman. The type of guy you can literally find on the waiver wire or for about 3 bucks in the FA bargain bin.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Keeping Jensen or keeping Kronwall isn't the issue. You're not moving Jensen to keep Kronwall or re-signing Kronwall to trade away Jensen. The two things are not related.

Kronwall can stay if he plays for minimum wage. He doesn't hurt you at all if you can bury his deal. Jensen is also a "decent player on a wretched team". I don't want us to be doing anything to go out of our way to keep him. Optimally, he's a #6/7 defenseman. The type of guy you can literally find on the waiver wire or for about 3 bucks in the FA bargain bin.

Yeah, that's where I'm at with Jensen. even if he's seen as a #4/5, we can grab a guy to fill that spot pretty much every summer. There is no reason to spend what could be an inflated market value for him this summer.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The type of guy you can literally find on the waiver wire or for about 3 bucks in the FA bargain bin.
I'd like one Jensen, please.

three_big_bucks_rma.jpg

Reactions: Shultzyfeelinirie25
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Who will be on the roster regardless of anything done with Kronwall... so therefore irrelevant.

This is the way it should be, but I don't buy it at all. We have seen the Holland/Blashill duo keep players in the minors for far too long before, and we will see it again. I truly believe there is a strong chance that Holland signs both Jensen and Kronwall to extensions, because he signs extensions like they are autographs.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
This is the way it should be, but I don't buy it at all. We have seen the Holland/Blashill duo keep players in the minors for far too long before, and we will see it again. I truly believe there is a strong chance that Holland signs both Jensen and Kronwall to extensions, because he signs extensions like they are autographs.

OH MY GOD... Hronek is in the pros right now. With Kronwall and Jensen on the roster. When he went down, it was because everyone was healthy and he had a string of meh games.

People always ***** and ***** and ***** about guys being kept down too long... but there is about one example where a guy was wrongly kept down due to cap reasons and that was Gustav Nyquist.

Jurco was actually brought up too early. Larkin was brought up immediately because he was ready. Pulkkinen, Frk, Ferraro, Ehn, Nestrasil all were kind of nothing decisions because they're bottom of the lineup guys.

All of the prospect failings of the Wings drafted prospects is because they simply weren't any good at hockey, not because they "overripened too long".

Kindl was trash.
Smith was meh.
The aforementioned 5 who were nothing decisions were 4A type players. Probably too good for AHL, not good enough for NHL.
Mursak couldn't stay healthy.
Ouellet was trash
Sproul was trash
Puempel is trash

And now, Larkin was in Detroit immediately. Rasmussen had one year (where he was injured at the start) and then he was up. Mantha was slated to make the roster his rookie year but broke his leg and needed time. Cholo was drafted as a four or five year project and he's up in two and a half. Hronek also. Hell, Sulak was up this year even though he was clearly not ready.

I really don't think outside of Nyquist you really have a case for complaining about overripening at this point. Lastly, if a young prospect is good enough to be a difference maker in his first year, he's going to push his way onto the roster. It is Babcock's old "grab your cheese" argument. If a young prospect wants to be in the NHL he should be able to beat out the worst player at his positiion. Want NHL time as a center? Play better than Luke Glendening. Want it on D? Skate harder and position yourself better than Jonathan Ericsson or whoever. Instead of saying that you want the prospect because even if he sucks, he's learning to play in the bright lights, ask yourself why he isn't better or making a compelling argument that he should play over guys who we know are terrible.

And even if he signs Kronwall and Jensen, Hronek will still be in the NHL. He is right now with them on the roster. If he goes down this year it is because they can freely move him around and instead of having him sit in the press box eating Little Caesars Pizza, he can be playing in Grand Rapids. And the Wings are likely to continue to have injury churn during the year, so Hronek will play a ton without any changes to the roster.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
OH MY GOD... Hronek is in the pros right now. With Kronwall and Jensen on the roster. When he went down, it was because everyone was healthy and he had a string of meh games.

People always ***** and ***** and ***** about guys being kept down too long... but there is about one example where a guy was wrongly kept down due to cap reasons and that was Gustav Nyquist.

Jurco was actually brought up too early. Larkin was brought up immediately because he was ready. Pulkkinen, Frk, Ferraro, Ehn, Nestrasil all were kind of nothing decisions because they're bottom of the lineup guys.

All of the prospect failings of the Wings drafted prospects is because they simply weren't any good at hockey, not because they "overripened too long".

Kindl was trash.
Smith was meh.
The aforementioned 5 who were nothing decisions were 4A type players. Probably too good for AHL, not good enough for NHL.
Mursak couldn't stay healthy.
Ouellet was trash
Sproul was trash
Puempel is trash

And now, Larkin was in Detroit immediately. Rasmussen had one year (where he was injured at the start) and then he was up. Mantha was slated to make the roster his rookie year but broke his leg and needed time. Cholo was drafted as a four or five year project and he's up in two and a half. Hronek also. Hell, Sulak was up this year even though he was clearly not ready.

I really don't think outside of Nyquist you really have a case for complaining about overripening at this point. Lastly, if a young prospect is good enough to be a difference maker in his first year, he's going to push his way onto the roster. It is Babcock's old "grab your cheese" argument. If a young prospect wants to be in the NHL he should be able to beat out the worst player at his positiion. Want NHL time as a center? Play better than Luke Glendening. Want it on D? Skate harder and position yourself better than Jonathan Ericsson or whoever. Instead of saying that you want the prospect because even if he sucks, he's learning to play in the bright lights, ask yourself why he isn't better or making a compelling argument that he should play over guys who we know are terrible.

And even if he signs Kronwall and Jensen, Hronek will still be in the NHL. He is right now with them on the roster. If he goes down this year it is because they can freely move him around and instead of having him sit in the press box eating Little Caesars Pizza, he can be playing in Grand Rapids. And the Wings are likely to continue to have injury churn during the year, so Hronek will play a ton without any changes to the roster.

I'll get back to you once Kenny resigns both Kronwall and Jensen. That would push Hronek to 7, and they will say the same things they are saying this year, that they'd rather have him playing in the A then sitting in the NHL. The reality is that if Holland resigns Jensen and Kronwall (and he loves handing out extensions to aging vets) Hronek is pushed to the 7th D, thus pushing him to the minors. I sure hope I'm wrong, but Holland absolutely loves dishing out contracts to UFAs who have no business getting one.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I'll get back to you once Kenny resigns both Kronwall and Jensen. That would push Hronek to 7, and they will say the same things they are saying this year, that they'd rather have him playing in the A then sitting in the NHL. The reality is that if Holland resigns Jensen and Kronwall (and he loves handing out extensions to aging vets) Hronek is pushed to the 7th D, thus pushing him to the minors. I sure hope I'm wrong, but Holland absolutely loves dishing out contracts to UFAs who have no business getting one.

If Hronek can not beat Kronwall out of a spot next year then maybe GR is the place for him?!?!
I think Hronek is a fantastic prospect and I'm high on him so I don't say that lightly.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
If Hronek can not beat Kronwall out of a spot next year then maybe GR is the place for him?!?!
I think Hronek is a fantastic prospect and I'm high on him so I don't say that lightly.
You think management would re-sign Kronwall only to sit him on the bench? If he signs he plays.

kfox

Dec 23, 2011
We in TOR are interested, purely as a rental. What do think Holland's asking price would be? Be realistic please :)

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
We in TOR are interested, purely as a rental. What do think Holland's asking price would be? Be realistic please :)
The decision to go is Kronwall's no matter what is offered to Holland. I wouldn't expect Holland to pressure Kronwall in the least to accept a trade unless it was a massive overpayment. A fair trade is unlikely & really I don't know what you could offer. Maybe trade a young player for a package of Kronwall & Glendenning?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Tough call, to be honest. Kronner is well past his best years, but could be a solid veteran boost in limited use and in the locker room. And defensemen tend to get bigger returns than expected.

Maybe a 2nd and a 4th, or the picks/prospects equivalent? Or maybe a conditional deal, based on playoff games played?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It funny how Calgary needs a veteran defenceman depth, a goaltender and a scoring winger.

I wonder how all Kronwall, Howard and Nyquist could work as a package for Flames? It would be esier for them to go together, nobody wouldn't be alone, at least 2 familiar teammates going on new address for 3-4 months. Should be easy to adjust in.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Well yeah, but that's kinda like saying I'd rather have a headache than an appendectomy. The optimal course of shaping this defense should avoid both Kronwall and Gardiner, based on probable performance of the former and probable cost of the latter.

Will all respect to Kronner, this is how I feel about the future.

I'm a little shocked that Mickey has said in two broadcasts now that basically the Wings will re-sign him this summer. The knee is holding up, he's playing great, etc.

I'm reading the opinions, "who cares, we're rebuilding". To me the thought of bringing Kronwall back shows the complacency and lack of vision from Holland and the FO. There has to be a better option to plug in that spot. Re-signing Kronwall is just lazy.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Will all respect to Kronner, this is how I feel about the future.

I'm a little shocked that Mickey has said in two broadcasts now that basically the Wings will re-sign him this summer. The knee is holding up, he's playing great, etc.

I'm reading the opinions, "who cares, we're rebuilding". To me the thought of bringing Kronwall back shows the complacency and lack of vision from Holland and the FO. There has to be a better option to plug in that spot. Re-signing Kronwall is just lazy.
Agreed, minus the part about being shocked. This is Holland we're talking about here.

If they are going to re-sign him it'd be great if they asked Kronner to do the franchise a solid and get traded at the deadline if there's a deal worth making.

Reactions: golffuul

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad