Kronwall talks about the team & his future

lightthelamp13

Apr 15, 2009
That tweet is kind of misleading.

Watching the segment live, Kyprios was pretty much commenting on the unlikelihood of a trade. You would hear news of a possible extension before news of a possible trade. Not that he was actually gonna be extended.

In my opinion at least.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Kronwall's base salary this year is 1.75 million. If he wants to sign on again for 1 year 1.5 million why not sign him? He is a great Vet presence and can be a mentor to the kids.
I think the only way you sign him to a one year extension is if at least a couple of the other vets are gone before the start of next year because Cholowski & Hronek MUST be the every day starting 6 next season, no excuses.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I think the only way you sign him to a one year extension is if at least a couple of the other vets are gone before the start of next year because Cholowski & Hronek MUST be the every day starting 6 next season, no excuses.

No disagreements from me. But look at how old and banged up our D corp is currently. They are all cycling in and out with injuries. If Kronwall wants to come back and be cycled in and out of the lineup while being a great leader in the locker room why not let him? Why not sign Kronwall as the 7th Dman for a year?

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
As much as he's regressed I can't see him in any other jersey except for the winged wheel. The value he's given us over the years gets understated because of his play the last two seasons

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
That tweet is kind of misleading.

Watching the segment live, Kyprios was pretty much commenting on the unlikelihood of a trade. You would hear news of a possible extension before news of a possible trade. Not that he was actually gonna be extended.

In my opinion at least.

This makes sense, but if you give those that hate Holland even a little bit of kindling, they are going to start a forest fire lol.

No disagreements from me. But look at how old and banged up our D corp is currently. They are all cycling in and out with injuries. If Kronwall wants to come back and be cycled in and out of the lineup while being a great leader in the locker room why not let him? Why not sign Kronwall as the 7th Dman for a year?

I would agree with this. My preference would be for him to retire, but if we loose Jensen, and we are able to move a Daley or even an E, I wouldn't hate the idea of bringing him back for 1 year.

If they legitimately want to make a run at Karlsson, I wonder if bringing back Kronwall for a year could have something to do with it. Pure speculation of course, but Karlsson is friends with Z, Kronwall, Franzen etc.

I think both Daley and Jensen will be moved or go somewhere else

I'd be fine with that. All I care about right now is the development of the kids, and bringing in guys to help with that. This is why I am fine with a Green or Kronwall (vets to help the kids), but have no desire for a Jensen. Nothing against him, I'd rather see him on the 3rd pairing of a contender.

Reactions: lilidk

StNickFan

Dec 3, 2014
Ohio
This might be how he feels at this point of the season but we still got 29 more games to play.

If he does extend to next season, I won’t complain. He knows what it takes to play at a high level in the nhl and another year around our young guys isn’t bad.

Got to trade Jensen for a spot for Hronek then.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Kronwall's base salary this year is 1.75 million. If he wants to sign on again for 1 year 1.5 million why not sign him? He is a great Vet presence and can be a mentor to the kids.
Because I want every last one of the dinosaurs to get the heck out of town.

Kronwall is no longer an impact player. And Detroit already has more washed up "veteran presence" than I'd prefer. This needs to be completely shifted to Larkin's team, with support from other youth (and the occasional free agent/trade).

Nick, you had many great years here. Now don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I know forum members around here don't think much of Jensen, but when Scotty Bowman (and someone else of great notoriety, can't remember who edit: I think Ken Hitchock) singles out and highly compliments Nick Jensen on broadcast above all other players, then maybe Jensen is also being noticed by GMs/scouts in the NHL.

Not sure of KH plans with Jensen, but he might be the guy that really surprises us on what kind of return he could bring.

That said, I am perfectly fine with Kronner finishing his career in a red wings uniform. He's not the type of person to milk the system. He is not going to play if he can't contribute to his expectations. If he thinks he can play another year, then re-sign him! Kronwall has the level of integrity as Lidstrom and Zetterberg.

Last edited:
Reactions: StNickFan

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
That said, I am perfectly fine with Kronner finishing his career in a red wings uniform. He's not the type of person to milk the system. He is not going to play if he can't contribute to his expectations. If he thinks he can play another year, then re-sign him! Kronwall has the level of integrity as Lidstrom and Zetterberg.

Imo, he doesn't differ anyhow of Cleary extensions, if he is extended.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
With Hronek and Cholo, I think we have six D on the NHL roster next year. Signing Kronwall just means we have 7. Not a big deal. It only gets weird if also sign another D and don't move anyone else out. We might carry 8 D, but I can't imagine any of Green, Ericsson, Daley, or Dekeyser being one of the 7/8 guys.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Holland is that you? And mentoring them to do what exactly?

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
1 year 1 mil, doesn't hurt anyone. Except the ones whom gets kronwalled :crickets:.......
But if Kronwall re-signs, then Jensen and Daley must be traded at the TDL.

19-20
DeKeyser-Green
Kronwall-Cholowski
Ericsson-Hronek
Witkowski

With this D welcome to Hockeytown Al Lafreniere!

20-21
Cholowski-Trouba
DeKeyser-Hronek
McIsaac-Green
Lindström

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015

Nevermind the fact he cant skate and frankly shouldnt be in the ice. He provides little that is positive.

We also have plenty of vets on defense signed for next year all ready. Ericson, green and daley.

So if your options are a free agent, hronek or resign Jensen? That's all better than kronwall.

Now if we dont plan on being competetive next year and wanna tank again? Well then sign kronwall for 1 year 15m I dont care then, save a holland from signing a shitty free agent for too much.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Nevermind the fact he cant skate and frankly shouldnt be in the ice. He provides little that is positive.

We also have plenty of vets on defense signed for next year all ready. Ericson, green and daley.

So if your options are a free agent, hronek or resign Jensen? That's all better than kronwall.

Now if we dont plan on being competetive next year and wanna tank again? Well then sign kronwall for 1 year 15m I dont care then, save a holland from signing a ****ty free agent for too much.

We can have Hronek (and Cholo) on next year's team while re-signing Kronwall. The guys we have signed for next season allows that scenario without making any other moves.

I'd rather see Kronwall re-signed than Holland going big on a mediocre UFA. After Karlsson there are a number of guys better than Kronwall, but I'm not sure they're better enough to want to hand over the contracts they'll likely demand. At some point, I'm okay rolling over with essentially what we have now if it means we can take another big shot at the UFA the following summer.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Kronwall shouldn't be resigned for his own good. He's gonna have enough trouble walking when he's 50, he needs to hang them up. Give him a front office job.

(I'm close to 50 with a bunch of sports related injuries...)

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
1 year 1 mil, doesn't hurt anyone. Except the ones whom gets kronwalled :crickets:.......
But if Kronwall re-signs, then Jensen and Daley must be traded at the TDL.

19-20
DeKeyser-Green
Kronwall-Cholowski
Ericsson-Hronek
Witkowski

With this D welcome to Hockeytown Al Lafreniere!

20-21
Cholowski-Trouba
DeKeyser-Hronek
McIsaac-Green
Lindström

I'd be very surprised if in 2 years that Cholo is a #1 d-man. If Detroit has any hope of contention, he will be on the middle pairing and maybe top PP.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The problem with Kronwall coming back next season, is that he will play in any game he is healthy. He isn't going to be taking turns with the kids for playing time, and we already have Green for veteran presence as is.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I see a lot of talk of well he deserves to be here if he wants. Cold hard truth is Jensen is a better player now and has won this spot over Kronwall or Big rig.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I see a lot of talk of well he deserves to be here if he wants. Cold hard truth is Jensen is a better player now and has won this spot over Kronwall or Big rig.

If he signs for either a buriable amount or even up to 1.5M (which is mostly buriable), there is no downside to keeping him for another year. If he wants any more than that, have fun in retirement, Nick. I mean, I won't fight anyone on letting him walk, but if the choice is Nick Kronwall at 1.5M for a year and take a crack at Trouba in 2020 or Jake Gardiner at 5x5 or 5x6? I go Nick all day.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If he signs for either a buriable amount or even up to 1.5M (which is mostly buriable), there is no downside to keeping him for another year. If he wants any more than that, have fun in retirement, Nick. I mean, I won't fight anyone on letting him walk, but if the choice is Nick Kronwall at 1.5M for a year and take a crack at Trouba in 2020 or Jake Gardiner at 5x5 or 5x6? I go Nick all day.
Well yeah, but that's kinda like saying I'd rather have a headache than an appendectomy. The optimal course of shaping this defense should avoid both Kronwall and Gardiner, based on probable performance of the former and probable cost of the latter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad