Player Discussion: Kristian Vesalainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
I hate the KHL (it’s nothing but an attempt at increasing Russian influence), but it’s the world’s second best league after the NHL. AHL doesn’t come close, nor the SEL, Liiga or such.

Would have vastly preferred if Vesalainen had stuck around close to the Jets, but him developing in the KHL isn’t too bad. Especially when he seems to be doing really well there!
Why the hate for the KHL? If you lived in Russia and were a hockey fan, wouldn’t you like a pro league to watch?

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Why the hate for the KHL? If you lived in Russia and were a hockey fan, wouldn’t you like a pro league to watch?
If you are a hockey fan and don't live in Russia there's a plenty to hate.

There's a political dimension to the league that stumps any financial or sporting considerations and sees people close to Putin (and wishing to stay so) pouring money into a team like an empty well if the big picture needs the team to continue existing.

Related to that, once you go to the playoffs stage, the game management hits on hard to ensure that the correct teams prevail. Jokerit are in no danger of ever winning the league.

The Jokerit is turning into a bit of farce, with the Finnish part-owner looking to off-load his ownership, but his self-imposed deadlines of publicly introducing a new Finnish owner to replace him getting wrecked one after another. Apparently there's no high-profile person willing to make themselves a facade for the Rotenbergs who actually bankroll the setup and the losses.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
If you are a hockey fan and don't live in Russia there's a plenty to hate.

There's a political dimension to the league that stumps any financial or sporting considerations and sees people close to Putin (and wishing to stay so) pouring money into a team like an empty well if the big picture needs the team to continue existing.

Related to that, once you go to the playoffs stage, the game management hits on hard to ensure that the correct teams prevail. Jokerit are in no danger of ever winning the league.

The Jokerit is turning into a bit of farce, with the Finnish part-owner looking to off-load his ownership, but his self-imposed deadlines of publicly introducing a new Finnish owner to replace him getting wrecked one after another. Apparently there's no high-profile person willing to make themselves a facade for the Rotenbergs who actually bankroll the setup and the losses.
well its a good thing its the consensus around here he made a good career choice.

Reactions: TheGovernment

FinJetster

Mar 1, 2015
Kerava, Finland
The caliber of player and competition is fine in the KHL.

My only concern with the KHL is the size of the ice. That leads to different systems or strategies that aren’t present in NA, since there is far less time to make plays in NA. To me, that’s the benefit to being in the AHL, though the caliber of player (skill) might be a smidge below the KHL.

But KV is getting a lot of ice time and putting up points in KHL. He’s also 19. As Chevy said, it’s like sending him back to jr for his final year. He went back home and is playing against fast, skilled men. When he’s back he’ll be more experienced and less ‘a kid’.

He’ll be in NA next year and he’s not an expansion draft consideration. Works for me.
Usually I'd be mostly agreeing with you but with Vesalainen I'm not concerned at all. Simply because his record seems to show he has a great ability to adapt. He seems to make great almost everywhere he goes. He also has already played 8 AHL games with 8 points in them this season. So it doesn't seem he has problems getting used to smaller rink either.

Reactions: Ippenator

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
well its a good thing its the consensus around here he made a good career choice.

I don't think that is the consensus around here at all. I would think the consensus would be that the career options were close enough that it doesn't matter much. At least that is my opinion. I think the AHL would have been the best career choice for him. He may have done the Jets a favour by removing the temptation to burn a year of his ELC and all that goes with that. I don't think it will have any substantial affect on his career either way in the long run.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
He's become a lazy floater a bit like another Finnish Jets player. Even the Jokerit fans are starting to dislike him. Low compete level and floats outside the game. It's a bit sad to see.

Reactions: behemolari

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He's become a lazy floater a bit like another Finnish Jets player. Even the Jokerit fans are starting to dislike him. Low compete level and floats outside the game. It's a bit sad to see.

Do you watch the games?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
@Paul Maurice's observations seem to be reflecting in his ice time:

8QcQ7sD.png

Averaged 12.84 ToI in his last 5 games. One of the advantages of playing with the Moose would have been a guaranteed 16-17 minutes a night no matter what to develop.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
What's I with these Fin's? Both Ves and Laine lack motivation and work ethic???

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Choosing the better league now over the better league for the development of NHLers... such a f***ing wise choice.

Reactions: TS Quint

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I hate the KHL (it’s nothing but an attempt at increasing Russian influence), but it’s the world’s second best league after the NHL. AHL doesn’t come close, nor the SEL, Liiga or such.

Would have vastly preferred if Vesalainen had stuck around close to the Jets, but him developing in the KHL isn’t too bad. Especially when he seems to be doing really well there!
The top 1/3 of that league might be better than the AHL but the rest is garbage. They draw no fans and don't have much talent.

When it comes to developing for the NHL the KHL is far below the AHL, it's a different game. Remember last year? " look at Tolvanen's goals in the KHL!!!!!" How's that working out this year?

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
He made a personal choice. The career choice was to play the North American game, on the North American Ice, learning the system he is going to need to know to have a successful career in the NHL. He took a step back in his career to go and be comfortable at home. It's not going to end his career before any of that type of hyperbole comes up but he took a step back.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Maybe good for him personally. But not necessarily good for the Winnipeg Jets franchise, or the Moose, and their fanbases.

I want my hometown Winnipeg Jets and Moose to succeed. I feel that would have been better served by having a player of his calibre showcasing his skills here, developing here, being available for call up here, making bonds with potential teammates and coaching staff here, and building a relationship with the community here.

I don't wish any ill towards this guy, but frankly I couldn't care less about what's good for him personally or his international hockey career.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah the better move by far and large for his development would have been with the Moose. He was looking for a quick pay day and to be close to home. His choice but I don't think it was the best one. With the Moose he would have been guaranteed 1st line, 1st PP time being right down the hall from all of our staff. Learning our systems and NA game. The KHL is not a development league.

nippanappa

Nov 26, 2018
He's still so young and this struggling may actually make him work harder to become a better player. Still, I'm personally bit disappointed of his showings. He definitely has the talent but still a long long way to become a key player in NHL

Lacking work ethic is never good but I hope he's willing to fight for spot on Jets/Moose next season.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Do people realize that by Vesalainen going to the KHL this season makes him expansion draft exempt? If he was to play with the Moose this season, he would of had to been protected from Seattle. Now we can use that protection on someone else . That is huge, wouldnt you say?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Do people realize that by Vesalainen going to the KHL this season makes him expansion draft exempt? If he was to play with the Moose this season, he would of had to been protected from Seattle. Now we can use that protection on someone else . That is huge, wouldnt you say?
Not if he has taken a major stepback. Then we wouldn't have to worry about protecting him. We would let him go and be able to protect someone else instead like Copp or Appleseed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad