Player Discussion: Kristian Vesalainen [Update: Signed ELC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Jokerit is not in Häme. I wouldn’t be one bit surprised if he would after all play one season for Jokerit. He doesn’t strike me as the modest and humble type that will be fine with going to the AHL rather than going to play in a European top league and maybe even get a chance to play for team Finland at the end of the season.

He is definitely not the humble type like Armia or Niku. And anyway not a lot of real quality Finnish players have come through the AHL route. Usually it’s just plain simple - make it to the A-team from the start or bust or be a fringe NHL’er for the rest of your (more likely short) NHL career. Mikko Rantanen is an extremely rare example of the AHL really working for the development of a Finn. Vesalainen could really be even thinking of these kind of things at the moment too.

Wouldn’t it make sense to come over no matter what to acclimatize himself to the small rink, and be on site for a call-up when injuries happen?

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

Tweet here says Kristian Vesalainen was left off of the world Junior Summer showcase because Finland's coach didn't want him to have to make two extended trips to North America, knowing that he would be at an NHL training camp this fall. So, this is our first real tangible piece of evidence that an ELC is kind of eminent.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think it's a smart look to go with Wheeler with Roslovic, Roslo developing into #2C would be massive for Jets longterm and would give already 3 high end scoring lines for next year, with the 4th being a quality energy line.

I think he is ready to be a 2C because he would likely already have amazing chemistry with our top players.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Forgive me as I am not as versed in the business side of this - but someone said something interesting about protecting KV (and the Jets) from another particularly harsh expansion draft. Could holding Vesa back a year and signing Dano/ Petan be part of the Jets strategy here or am I out to lunch?

Reactions: Ippenator

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Forgive me as I am not as versed in the business side of this - but someone said something interesting about protecting KV (and the Jets) from another particularly harsh expansion draft. Could holding Vesa back a year and signing Dano/ Petan be part of the Jets strategy here or am I out to lunch?
His contract can slide. Can't play 10 or more games. I see him being like Niku last year but with more games played 8-9.
My personal opinion is that if he's good enough and ready then he sticks or is recalled during latter half of season. I like him, I think he's ready, but he will play AHL imo cause of expansion and waivers. Worked out okay for Rantanen playing one year in AHL.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I have a question... given our coach's penchant for switching sides for wingers, where do people think that KV would wind up on the Jets? LW or RW?

That would make a difference on whether we have room for him or not.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Seattle's trying to be ready to start play in October 2020, but if that gets pushed back a year, then Vesalainen could potentially require protection. If Seattle is awarded a team to start in 2020, then Vesalainen wouldn't need protection (he'd be in the same situation as Ehlers was for the Vegas draft having just completed his 2nd pro year in North America).

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
@Jet et all

I don't think the Jets will consider the possible expansion until it's set in stone. The Cup window is wide open for the Jets and every season counts. Mgmt should be worrying about icing the best possible team now while everyone is under contract and key pieces like Wheeler and Buff are still in their primes.

If Vesa is good enough, and I think he is, then he'll probably be in the top 9 this coming season.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I have a question... given our coach's penchant for switching sides for wingers, where do people think that KV would wind up on the Jets? LW or RW?

That would make a difference on whether we have room for him or not.

I doubt his handedness will play a role with him making the Jets.

What will play a role is the fact there's no space for him on the roster. If you can count to 13 you have your answer.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I doubt his handedness will play a role with him making the Jets.

What will play a role is the fact there's no space for him on the roster. If you can count to 13 you have your answer.

It's pretty incredible to look at someone with his talent and realize that he probably can't crack the roster. It's a nice problem to have! With Armia gone though, there is that spot on the 'Third' line.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
It's pretty incredible to look at someone with his talent and realize that he probably can't crack the roster. It's a nice problem to have! With Armia gone though, there is that spot on the 'Third' line.

I agree, it's a great situation to be in!

A roster player became expendable due to this years waiver issues. With Armia now traded there's no sense in recreating that issue.

While it's certainly possible K-Ves cracks the line-up, he would have to have an incredible camp which places him significantly ahead of Petan & Dano.

Isn't the roster is stronger by having the forward depth that we have? Isn't allowing his contract to slide a positive thing for a team up against the cap? Aren't we a draft & develop team? Shouldn't we allow him time to develop? Should we allow our forward depth to be lost to waivers?

Let K-Ves adapt to the smaller ice surface in the AHL. If he's truly ready, the issue can be revisited then with Petan or Dano traded, rather than let go for nothing.

Last edited:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

A roster player became expendable due to this years waiver issues. With Armia now traded there's no sense in recreating that issue.

While it's certainly possible K-Ves cracks the line-up, he would have to have an incredible camp which places him significantly ahead of Petan & Dano.

Isn't the roster is stronger by having the forward depth that we have? Isn't allowing his contract to slide a positive thing for a team up against the cap? Aren't we a draft & develop team? Shouldn't we allow him time to develop? Should we allow or forward depth to be lost to waivers?

Let K-Ves adapt to the smaller ice surface in the AHL. If he's truly ready, the issue can be revisited then with Petan or Dano traded, rather than let go for nothing.

I cannot for the life of me see "any value" in a player like Dano -- if I owned the team, he would have been traded or let go a long time ago. He does nothing when he's on the ice, except skate around and bump into people. Petan on the other hand, has a lot of skill--he's a keeper, and his stats in the AHL prove he can score and play with the pros. I think and hope he cracks the lineup-- he has some good upside. It's possible he won't make the NHL- but I think he will--and he'll do well somewhere, and I hope it's with the Jets.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

Isn't the roster is stronger by having the forward depth that we have? Isn't allowing his contract to slide a positive thing for a team up against the cap? Aren't we a draft & develop team? Shouldn't we allow him time to develop? Should we allow or forward depth to be lost to waivers?

I completely agree with all of the above. To be honest, I don't hold out much hope for Petan and Dana. As always I hope to be wrong :)

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

I cannot for the life of me see "any value" in a player like Dano -- if I owned the team, he would have been traded or let go a long time ago. He does nothing when he's on the ice, except skate around and bump into people. Petan on the other hand, has a lot of skill--he's a keeper, and his stats in the AHL prove he can score and play with the pros. I think and hope he cracks the lineup-- he has some good upside. It's possible he won't make the NHL- but I think he will--and he'll do well somewhere, and I hope it's with the Jets.
Buddy, you pretty much wrapped up my thoughts about those players. I’m really surprised to see that some people seem to like Dano so much. When I have seen him play, I have seen practically nothing too useful in him. Works hard, but that’s about it. He clearly lacks in hockey IQ and his hands and passing skills are average, if even that. Maybe he can carve still an NHL career somewhere else, but I wouldn’t really make a bet for it. Ain’t gonna anyway happen in Winnipeg for sure. I can’t see a chance that Vesalainen isn’t already a better player than him.

Petan is maybe another story, as he is a skilled guy with pretty nice hockey IQ, and especially his vision and passing skills seem to be pretty darn good. Just a pity that he is a bit smallish and especially physically that weak that he will still have some difficulties in making it in the NHL. This especially because with his kind of weaknesses he would at least need to be a magnificent and fast skater, but unfortunately he isn’t that. Hopefully he has been able to develop still well this off-season and could after all make the team.

Somehow I’m a bit hoping for Petan to maybe get a chance to play with Laine in the same line with him. Maybe even a line with Petan-Scheifele-Laine could work really nicely. But if he hasn’t been able to clearly become already stronger and more explosive, then I could see maybe Vesalainen being already more useful than even him.

I’m a bit afraid still that Petan will not make his NHL career in Winnipeg, but probably in a clearly weaker team somewhere else. I like him though, so I’m hoping for the best for him wherever he will be playing.

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I was talking about Roslovic... as you can tell from the quote above.

Perhaps you should try reading/comprehending harder.

Makes a good point for us to stay on topic with our discussions & if not to avoid using pronouns when not posting a direct reply & to make a habit of quoting the post you are responding to. In this case you even replied directly & I still missed it.

I recently has a message misconstrued for using a pronoun in reference to a player that wasn't the topic of the OP.

Anyways...sorry about that! I can admit when I'm wrrrrr....wrr.......wr....:thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad