Player Discussion: Kristian Vesalainen [Update: Signed ELC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
I coined the phrase.....

Kristian "The Second Coming" Vesalainen™

I'm posting it here in case my Attorneys need evidence for future lawsuits.

I remember a scout at the 2017 Draft saying..."Watch out for that kid,he could be another Laine."

Do any of you think he could be that good?Perhaps 70-80% as good?

I have high hopes for him, just don't exactly see a Laine there. I haven't watched Vesalainen enough to claim any expertise on him, from what I have seen, Mikko Rantanen feels like a decent comparison. Which is damn impressive.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
I have high hopes for him, just don't exactly see a Laine there. I haven't watched Vesalainen enough to claim any expertise on him, from what I have seen, Mikko Rantanen feels like a decent comparison. Which is damn impressive.
Vesalainen doesn't have NEARLY the same caliber of shot as Laine. He scores goals very differently than Laine which, isn't a bad thing but he carries the puck and uses his body better. His shot is still decent but it's no Laine Laser. Vesalainen typically scores near the middle of the net above the pad below the shoulder and it's by cycling and stick handling more than anything. I'd say Vesalainens game more resembles Malkin or Kopitar (yes lofty comparisons in name but stylistically is what I mean)

Reactions: Psych0dad

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Vesalainen doesn't have NEARLY the same caliber of shot as Laine. He scores goals very differently than Laine which, isn't a bad thing but he carries the puck and uses his body better. His shot is still decent but it's no Laine Laser. Vesalainen typically scores near the middle of the net above the pad below the shoulder and it's by cycling and stick handling more than anything. I'd say Vesalainens game more resembles Malkin or Kopitar (yes lofty comparisons in name but stylistically is what I mean)

If only he where a Center...
upload_2018-7-23_15-4-43.gif

Reactions: amethyst

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
a problem like what

KV isn't happy with the ELC bonuses being offered and is going to stay in Finland?

Damn Chevy and his low-balling. Not only is he killing our chances for a Stanley Cup this year, but also for a Calder Cup.

;)

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
KV isn't happy with the ELC bonuses being offered and is going to stay in Finland?

Damn Chevy and his low-balling. Not only is he killing our chances for a Stanley Cup this year, but also for a Calder Cup.

;)
all these bonuses are pretty standard to where you were drafted. how do you know he is staying in finland. I will just assume you are kidding though.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
A delay of one year may make the difference in if we have to protect him in a future expansion draft.

Also his 3 year E.L.C. Starting later may help. (I know he is eligible to slide if he does not play 10 N.H.L. games in 2018/19).

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
A delay of one year may make the difference in if we have to protect him in a future expansion draft.

Also his 3 year E.L.C. Starting later may help. (I know he is eligible to slide if he does not play 10 N.H.L. games in 2018/19).

I would like to think that V would be so good, that protecting him would be a given. I would hope he signs with the Jets. Not much really to prove in Finland.

sashalaine

Apr 2, 2016
Helsinki
Not sure if this Finnish article (published a week ago) was ever mentioned here. Nothing groundbreaking there but anyway:

Player Development Coordinator of Jets, Jimmy Roy wasn't able to say anything about the signing situation. What he did say was:

- Those results of his from a professional league give him and advantage considering an NHL roster spot. He's better prepared than for example those who have played in juniors, if he comes to the training camp to fight for a spot.

- I believe he's close to a roster spot, but the ball is in his court. It all depends on him.

- He's a powerful skater and has an excellent shot. Besides those things, he can also protect the puck to make time for himself and his linemates. There's plenty of good qualities in him and he has a good head on his shoulders. We're lucky to have him drafted.

- If he's at the camp fighting for a spot, it's better. It will be good for him to see what it takes to be an NHL pro and what level you have to be at to make it.

- NHL is a different world. You have to understand the physical requirements, and I don't mean just battling on the ice, I also mean the schedules and travelling. In Finland the schedule is a bit lighter.

- There's no reason to doubt that he will grow into a special player.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Armia& Stastny leaving open him a shot at a spot on the roster, but it of course means he needs a great pre season.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Right? I'd honestly give him a shot at C to see if he could become one. He's got the build a play style for it. Unfortunately this isn't the year to be experimenting but something along the lines of:

Ehlers-Scheif-Laine
Perrault-Vesalainen-Wheeler
Connor-Ros-Little
Are we Montreal now?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
He is not a center

I think if he comes into camp in shape he will push for a spot. We could use a big body on a line with Little and Perrault, especially a shooter on that line.

Laine/Scheif/Ehlers
Wheeler/Roslovic/Connor
Vesa/Little/Perrault
Tanev/Lowry/Copp

You have a little bit of everything on the top 3 lines. Yes you move Wheeler off Schiefs wing but I think that has to happen at some point. Wheeler would be good riding shotgun for Roslo to see if he can handle center. Roslo and Connor have some chemistry from the AHL. You add size and a shooter to Little/Perrault.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
He is not a center

I think if he comes into camp in shape he will push for a spot. We could use a big body on a line with Little and Perrault, especially a shooter on that line.

Laine/Scheif/Ehlers
Wheeler/Roslovic/Connor
Vesa/Little/Perrault
Tanev/Lowry/Copp

You have a little bit of everything on the top 3 lines. Yes you move Wheeler off Schiefs wing but I think that has to happen at some point. Wheeler would be good riding shotgun for Roslo to see if he can handle center. Roslo and Connor have some chemistry from the AHL. You add size and a shooter to Little/Perrault.

I love that line up. That team looks absolutely stacked

Reactions: Ippenator

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
He is not a center

Laine/Scheif/Ehlers
Wheeler/Roslovic/Connor
Vesa/Little/Perrault
Tanev/Lowry/Copp

You have a little bit of everything on the top 3 lines. Yes you move Wheeler off Schiefs wing but I think that has to happen at some point. Wheeler would be good riding shotgun for Roslo to see if he can handle center. Roslo and Connor have some chemistry from the AHL. You add size and a shooter to Little/Perrault

Looks tasty. Vesa is also no slouch along the boards and he has some decent wheels. That would be a very hard line to defend against once they got rolling, and they could hang onto the puck for days.

Sign, K-Ves, sign!!!

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
He is not a center

Laine/Scheif/Ehlers
Wheeler/Roslovic/Connor
Vesa/Little/Perrault
Tanev/Lowry/Copp

Lots of off wing projections, that realistically is never going to happen. Did you list them right to left?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Not sure if this Finnish article (published a week ago) was ever mentioned here. Nothing groundbreaking there but anyway:

Player Development Coordinator of Jets, Jimmy Roy wasn't able to say anything about the signing situation. What he did say was:

Roy's comments about if he comes to camp are worrisome. I wonder if KV wants to play in Finland if he doesn't make the Jets, and the Jets are being adamant that he should develop with the Moose.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Which means the expansion avoidance plays no part in him not being signed.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
No def not..we have a #1C-#4C we just lack a future #1/#2. Roslovic may end up being just that but still unproven. Does he get his shot between Ehlers and Laine this year?
I think if roslovic plays 2c this year u have to give him wheeler as his rw and move laine to shief line balances it out a bit better

Reactions: Ippenator

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
He is not a center

Laine/Scheif/Ehlers
Wheeler/Roslovic/Connor
Vesa/Little/Perrault
Tanev/Lowry/Copp

Great lines. That would make me very happy..... if it works like I hope it would. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->