Confirmed with Link: Kris Versteeg signs with Rockford (EDIT: Decides to Hang Up Skates on 11/17/19)

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Never against a guy getting a paycheque but this just seems kinda... awkward?

Like if the bassist from your band leaves and a few years later he ends up playing for the opening act on your concert tour?

Hope it works out for him. And I hope he's doing it out of a love for hockey, not a need for cash.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Never against a guy getting a paycheque but this just seems kinda... awkward?

Like if the bassist from your band leaves and a few years later he ends up playing for the opening act on your concert tour?

Hope it works out for him. And I hope he's doing it out of a love for hockey, not a need for cash.
If he was just looking for cash I’m positive the Hawks would have given him a job paying close to what an AHL only contract pays.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
If it was a need for cash he's in the wrong league. Would make more overseas. He'll probably still be making a couple hundred grand which is obviously fine and all but he'd make more overseas.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Okay? Think he would be better off in Europe, but to each their own.

Good for steeger. Was a great player for Calgary (when he was healthy).

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
He's not the first nor last NHL'er to make an AHL round or two at the end of their career.
And I’ll always argue for those guys. Nothing makes my eyes roll harder when people argue a player hung around too long.

It’s their life. I’d commit a large number of felonies to live one of their “bad” PROFESSIONAL HOCKEY PLAYER years.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
All former Hawks kidding aside, he will definitely help the Rockford kids down there. I'd put him in the Peter Holland role for them next season. He will definitely put up the points.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He's probably gotten pretty humble over the years. By all accounts, he was a bit of a dick when he was younger.
I am sure he has, and I wasn't shit talking the amount of times he got moved, I just for the life of me can't recall him at all on the Kings - zip, zero, zilch lol...I really can't recall the Flyers either..Leafs I am starting to remember now, but the other two teams- hell no..

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Would he have out clause that allows him to sign with NHL team mid season if there is interest? Or does AHL not allow that?

Cause if he does have out this opens door for Hawks to bring him back next year if he plays well and we have injury issues or any NHL team

Either way good for Versteeg and I wouldn't be shocked if when he hangs em up he finds his way into Hawks fold probably in similar role as Burish/Mayers on TV

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
He's not the first nor last NHL'er to make an AHL round or two at the end of their career.

True ... but is always kinda sad to see. Know at least a couple of my favorites doing it & was a bummer.
Like that guest who stays too long at the party ...

PS/Full disclosure - Have been the awkward guest myself but, my excuse was I was passed out
on the couch. ;-) (Another lifetime tho that move, thankfully.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Liner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad